Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godjacob »

Final Wars is an enjoyable popcorn flick, which itself puts it higher than DAM which is a giant slog.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Except that to a lot of people, Final Wars is a slog, and DAM is very entertaining. These are totally subjective responses to differing pacing and styles.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

And I am giving MY opinion which I thought was you know, the point to this thread? XD

I don't find the DAM human characters interesting, least the Final Wars ones left an impression on me. Final Wars had the better action set pieces where as the DAM ones are too far and few between and I found the general plot while simple in both to be more fun in Final Wars.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gojiban didn't deserve to be the top winner of the GEMSTONE contest. It's not even that I don't like it because it's explicitly for kids, more that there were so many entries that were more interesting and yet didn't even get a runner-up spot. I'm just glad G vs G won as well.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:54 am Gojiban didn't deserve to be the top winner of the GEMSTONE contest. It's not even that I don't like it because it's explicitly for kids, more that there were so many entries that were more interesting and yet didn't even get a runner-up spot. I'm just glad G vs G won as well.
What the hell is a Gemstone contest? Or “G vs G”? Is it all Godzilla related like Godziban or...?

Also...hey! Dont diss Godziban! It’s, unironically, a great show! :mad:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:54 am Gojiban didn't deserve to be the top winner of the GEMSTONE contest. It's not even that I don't like it because it's explicitly for kids, more that there were so many entries that were more interesting and yet didn't even get a runner-up spot. I'm just glad G vs G won as well.
What the hell is a Gemstone contest? Or “G vs G”? Is it all Godzilla related like Godziban or...?
Basically, GEMSTONE was an audition company that partnered up with Toho for a Godzilla fanfilm contest. The winning film would be given the chance to be expanded on and posted to Toho's Youtube channel. Gojiban/Godziban ended up winning as well as G vs G. The former was turned into a full series and the latter is getting a sequel this year.

Added in 3 minutes 15 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 am Also...hey! Dont diss Godziban! It’s, unironically, a great show! :mad:
It allowed for Miyarabi to be birthed from the pits of hell.

Also, like I said, there's a lot more interesting stuff in the contest like Record of the Aramakuna and Godzilla-broken but yet, Gojiban, a kinda boring show in comparison, won instead of them.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed May 05, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:12 am And I am giving MY opinion which I thought was you know, the point to this thread? XD
Got it. I think your comment struck me more as a refutation/dismissal of differing opinions than as a statement of your own.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I think Gojiban is awesome. Any way to introduce the characters to new fans. Unless it ends up with the Fandom overran and too mainstream.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 am
godjacob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:12 am And I am giving MY opinion which I thought was you know, the point to this thread? XD
Got it. I think your comment struck me more as a refutation/dismissal of differing opinions than as a statement of your own.
Look people on TK enjoy Godzilla's Revenge, and praise Godzilla vs. Hedorah as some high standard of the Showa era. I don't agree with those views, but they are their views. I just express my own so keep that in mind whenever I do make a comment on preferences.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm MonsterVerse lore is almost as bad as Bayformers lore. Constantly adding new stuff that completely contradicts stuff already established in previous films.
Example?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Gojiban is unironically a fun kid's show and I love both it's little lore nods and love of playing with the characters. I'm also kind of suprised that the fandom sleeps on it when it also has nodded to many fan theories and in-jokes (Belvera as a Battra herald, Shin Godzilla as the horrifying parental figure scaring off Minilla, etc).

The lore in the MV is pretty fucking loopy but it could be worse. I'm still not even sure WAHT in the hell is the exact history of the DCEU.

RIP Evan.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I really enjoy the random, epic, anime-esque lighting effects used in the Heisei series. I want my kaiju to be backlit for no reason. I want sparks to accompany for no reason. And, yes, I want you to dump glitter on them from the sky. So epic.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:47 pm I really enjoy the random, epic, anime-esque lighting effects used in the Heisei series. I want my kaiju to be backlit for no reason. I want sparks to accompany for no reason. And, yes, I want you to dump glitter on them from the sky. So epic.
And I am forever grateful to Koichi Kawakita.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:50 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:47 pm I really enjoy the random, epic, anime-esque lighting effects used in the Heisei series. I want my kaiju to be backlit for no reason. I want sparks to accompany for no reason. And, yes, I want you to dump glitter on them from the sky. So epic.
Yes!!! One of my great regrets is not meeting him. He understood IMO that SPFX isn't about realism...it's about the spectacle. And beauty.

Just imagine if Kawakita had the technology WETA has....it would have been unbelievable.
IMO
Can we admit that Kawakita was/is underrated? You never hear him talked about in the same vein as Tsubuyara and co. IMO its a travesty and a shame. He oversaw some of Godzilla's most iconic looks, not to mention his foes. Yet he gets no love and people want to concentrate on Bandais in GvD. No, I think I'll focus on that epic Destoroyah final form intro.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Thu May 06, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 pm
Yes!!! One of my great regrets is not meeting him. He understood IMO that SPFX isn't about realism...it's about the spectacle. And beauty.

Just imagine if Kawakita had the technology WETA has....it would have been unbelievable.
IMO
Can we admit that Kawakita was/is underrated? You never hear him talked about in the same vein as Tsubuyara and co. IMO its a travesty and a shame. He oversaw some of Godzilla's most iconic looks, not to mention his foes. Yet he gets no love and people want to concentrate on Bandais in GvD. No, I think I'll focus on that epic Destoroyah final form intro.
Yeah, you'll mostly hear gripes of how Kawakita likes sparks flying about in every scene because most people didn't like them. But it's what made the Heisei films that much better, seeing sparks fly would be natural because these kaijus skin are like still steel and you'll get sparks from slashing at steel. His special effects are easily the greatest and no one can touch his skills.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 pm

IMO
Yeah, you'll mostly hear gripes of how Kawakita likes sparks flying about in every scene because most people didn't like them. But it's what made the Heisei films that much better, seeing sparks fly would be natural because these kaijus skin are like still steel and you'll get sparks from slashing at steel. His special effects are easily the greatest and no one can touch his skills.
"But muh 'beam wars'"

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I have nothing against sparks, I'd prefer to not have them given it makes the Kaiju all feel like robots more than anything else but they are inoffensive. I even enjoy the colorful explosions and beams of the Heisei films, gave the fights an "epic" flare to them.

What I don't like was we only had that. My ideal Kaiju combat is hand to hand mixed with more fantastical elements. And I feel for as much as the latter Showa films moved too far into humanoid wrestling matches, the Heisei films were too far on just the beam weapon abuse.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:06 pm I have nothing against sparks, I'd prefer to not have them given it makes the Kaiju all feel like robots more than anything else but they are inoffensive. I even enjoy the colorful explosions and beams of the Heisei films, gave the fights an "epic" flare to them.

What I don't like was we only had that. My ideal Kaiju combat is hand to hand mixed with more fantastical elements. And I feel for as much as the latter Showa films moved too far into humanoid wrestling matches, the Heisei films were too far on just the beam weapon abuse.
I'd argue T&C fights were basically pretty much impossible given the technological limitations at the time and what they were trying to achieve with the suit's designs. But I'd also point out there are many t&c/wrestling heavy fights in the Heisei series. I'd point to GvB and GvKG as an example. Yes, beams were involved. But you can't argue they were just "beam wars."

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:09 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:06 pm I have nothing against sparks, I'd prefer to not have them given it makes the Kaiju all feel like robots more than anything else but they are inoffensive. I even enjoy the colorful explosions and beams of the Heisei films, gave the fights an "epic" flare to them.

I'd argue T&C fights were basically pretty much impossible given the technological limitations at the time and what they were trying to achieve with the suit's designs. But I'd also point out there are many t&c/wrestling heavy fights in the Heisei series. I'd point to GvB and GvKG as an example. Yes, beams were involved. But you can't argue they were just "beam wars."
I mean I think the solution would've been to make less bulky suits but I am not the design guy, I can understand why they did it but it doesn't mean I have to be "fine" with the final product. Just makes me sympathetic. And I would argue both the Ghidorah fights had moments of close up action (Ghidorah stomping and neck choke in round 1, and Mecha-King Ghidorah's claw in round 2) but still were a little more beam heavy than Biollante.

I think Destoroyah was closer to the Ghidorah style of the fights with some physical mixture. It isn't only beam spams but certain films (Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla) are guilty of abuse of it IMO

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Not an unpopular opinion by any means but Bye-Bye Jupiter, Gunhed and Godzilla vs Biollante are Kawakita's best works.