Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

DAM taught a young me that movies could be disappointing, and my opinion remains the same even after having rewatched it recently. In the top 5 worst Godzilla movies for me.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think the popularity of DAM is really a generational thing. Up to the 90s it was generally accepted as "the ultimate monster movie" and I know very few fans my age who don't like it. I think its younger fans who have been brought up on bigger, bolder kaiju films that have less of a fondness for it.

Regardless, even if one doesn't like it, the idea that it could be considered one of the five WORST Godzilla movies by anyone is pretty mind blowing.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

DAM deserves respect for its filmmaking, music and special effects. Good cast, too...the script is bland, unfortunately.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:33 pm Regardless, even if one doesn't like it, the idea that it could be considered one of the five WORST Godzilla movies by anyone is pretty mind blowing.
Yeah, that rattled me a little bit, too. :lol: Out of curiosity, GvR, what else is down in the bottom five for you? I'm not bashing you, I just find the range and variety of opinions in this fandom amusing.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:25 pm Yeah, that rattled me a little bit, too. :lol: Out of curiosity, GvR, what else is down in the bottom five for you? I'm not bashing you, I just find the range and variety of opinions in this fandom amusing.
5 is Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (which is strange, because TOMG is my favorite Godzilla movie lol)
3 is Vs Megagurius
2 is Vs SpaceGodzilla
And all the way down at the bottom is Raids Again.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:36 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:25 pm Yeah, that rattled me a little bit, too. :lol: Out of curiosity, GvR, what else is down in the bottom five for you? I'm not bashing you, I just find the range and variety of opinions in this fandom amusing.
5 is Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (which is strange, because TOMG is my favorite Godzilla movie lol)
3 is Vs Megagurius
2 is Vs SpaceGodzilla
And all the way down at the bottom is Raids Again.
Okay, so DAM is kind of an outlier on an otherwise standard (or at least understandable, in Mechagodzilla's case) list, then. Where would GINO and the Anime Trilogy place?

And to keep things on-topic, GvK is in my bottom five.... and rating by pure, personal entertainment, GINO isn't.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

DAM to me was a movie that I remember being much better than what it is. Not saying it's a bad film at all just thay you hear 11 monsters and you see the imagines of the final battle where everyone is fighting Ghidorah and your mind runs.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

...but then you think about when it was made and consider the budget and limitations Toho was working with and you adjust your expectations accordingly.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:51 am ...but then you think about when it was made and consider the budget and limitations Toho was working with and you adjust your expectations accordingly.
Understanding that context doesn't automatically make you enjoy the movie, though. If you find it underwhelming, you find it underwhelming. *shrug* It is unfortunate that some of the monsters were relegated to tiny cameos, there's no real getting around that.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:00 pm Okay, so DAM is kind of an outlier on an otherwise standard (or at least understandable, in Mechagodzilla's case) list, then. Where would GINO and the Anime Trilogy place?
G98 is the 7th least, just above Battle For Earth which is sixth. I posted my overall tier-list of Godzilla movies on that tier-list thread (the numbers on the tiers are range of rankings out of 10). Planet of Monsters is 9th worst, City is 16th worst, and Planet Eater is actually my 13th favorite. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is the lowest one that I’ll still say I like watching, the four below it are the ones I outright do not enjoy viewing.

For some context on how I’m ranking these, it is literally just “how much enjoyment do I derive from watching this movie?” If watching a movie is a boring and/Or an actively unenjoyable experience, I’m not gonna go “well, I greatly disliked it, but they had issues while making it and/or it has important relevance to the franchise, so I have to raise it above a movie I enjoyed more.”
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
KWCE Administrator

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Maybe an unpopular opinion?
I think 2014, shin and singular point are the best things that have come out in these past 10 years
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean there's not much to choose from, unless your talking all of entertainment and not just kaiju.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

That's true but you still have kotm gvk or the anime movies
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:51 am

*shrug* It is unfortunate that some of the monsters were relegated to tiny cameos, there's no real getting around that.
Unfortunately, suits don't always last, and new suits cost money. And then there's the nightmare number of wires that had to be operated, as well as the coordination between the kaiju, in the climactic battle.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

This might get me killed but here we go.

I like 64 Rodan over 56 Rodan.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:11 pm This might get me killed but here we go.

Why?

You made the right call in posting this in the "Unpopular Godzilla opinion" thread.

We would never look down on your opinion merely for us to feel good about ourselves and make you feel bad for it.

With that being said..... What a crappy opinion to have since clearly the better Rodan is the 56. Way to let the entire fandom down.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:11 pm This might get me killed but here we go.

Why?

You made the right call in posting this in the "Unpopular Godzilla opinion" thread.

We would never look down on your opinion merely for us to feel good about ourselves and make you feel bad for it.

With that being said..... What a crappy opinion to have since clearly the better Rodan is the 56. Way to let the entire fandom down.
I like how the 64 looks standing next to Godzilla and fighting off Ghidorah personally. Not saying the 56 looks bad it's just 64 is what comes first when I think Rodan.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:20 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 pm

Why?

I like how the 64 looks standing next to Godzilla and fighting off Ghidorah personally. Not saying the 56 looks bad it's just 64 is what comes first when I think Rodan.
I think about the 56 more simply because of the landing at the train station scene. That whole scene to me is one of the better scenes in all of Showa.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm going to make a guess that you first saw Rodan in G3HM. If so, I can see why you favor that look.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm

I'm going to make a guess that you first saw Rodan in G3HM. If so, I can see why you favor that look.
Monster Zero actually and then Ghidorah.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image