Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by SonOfGorgo »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:19 amIf boredom is enough to induce literal sincere hatred in a viewer, then said viewer has some serious problem to work out.
Then what would you feel?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:19 amIf boredom is enough to induce literal sincere hatred in a viewer, then said viewer has some serious problem to work out.
Then what would you feel?
Well, boredom would be the main thing. Disappointment? Distaste? Maybe dislike? Irritation?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

eabaker wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 amDisappointment? Distaste? Maybe dislike? Irritation?
Pretty much.

A film that leaves you with negative emotions may be better than a film that leaves you with no emotion at all.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Godzilla 2014 is one of the best of the franchise.

Ford’s at least not stereotypical and boring.

Varan is more interesting than Anguirus in general.

Mothra’s design in GMK was a pinnacle, and the Heisei Mothra was just bland.

Shinomure is a great monster, and deserves more appearances.

The Legendary and Anime Mechagodzillas are some of the best designs along with Kiryu.

The Godzilla Anime Trilogy is great, and I wouldn’t mind a prequel.

Godzilla vs. Kong is a great film, and the ending was unexpected- you always see the underdog winning.

Godzilla’s 2014 design was his best in the MonsterVerse.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:18 pm Godzilla 2014 is one of the best of the franchise.

Ford’s at least not stereotypical and boring.

Varan is more interesting than Anguirus in general.

Mothra’s design in GMK was a pinnacle, and the Heisei Mothra was just bland.

Shinomure is a great monster, and deserves more appearances.

The Legendary and Anime Mechagodzillas are some of the best designs along with Kiryu.

The Godzilla Anime Trilogy is great, and I wouldn’t mind a prequel.

Godzilla vs. Kong is a great film, and the ending was unexpected- you always see the underdog winning.

Godzilla’s 2014 design was his best in the MonsterVerse.
1. I certainly think it's a great foray of American cinematography for Godzilla, especially after the last attempt (though said last attempt will always hold a place in my heart)

2. He was alright-by no means the worst Godzilla human character I've had to deal with but by no means the best.

3. I love that ankylosaur with all my heart, but Varan does have a lot of nifty abilities to him that never get used, and poor Anguirus is just used as the local punching bag or for 'Worf Effect' it seems.

4. Yeah, I kinda gotta agree with ya there; GMK's colors just feel so much more alive and bright than Heisei, the latter of which just feel kinda...generic. Prolly doesn't help the latter is only a slightly more saturated Showa palette, so we're kinda overly used to seeing it all the dang time, whereas GMK is a fresher breath of air

5. They were a very unique Kaiju and I agree that they deserved more love or recognition; Maybe someday we'll see them again. I'd certainly like to see that myself.

6. Both solid designs, but Kiryu holds one of the top spots for me and always will

7. Ye gotta say no to this one chief, but I would give my blood and soul for a prequel based on the novels.

8. It was a lot of fun and never dragged on, plus it was nice to see some different Kaiju, even if only briefly; And I think it found a way to keep both sides (Pro-Godzilla and Pro-Kong) happy, so win-win.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While Varan may be more interesting visually, Anguirus has so much more personality. Anguirus has an endearing quality despite being treated as a punching bag.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Varan is literally Godzilla without the meaning in ‘58’s film.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I have yet to see the American version of the film. Based on what I've heard, I'll stick with the original.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Godzilla: The Series pulled off the “aliens mind-control the world’s kaiju and make them destroy major cities” plot way better than either DAM or Final Wars.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Anti-Feats with Kaiju involving humans should be just ignored. Plot armor is a variable that trumps any feat and shouldn't detract from the monsters.

1998 Godzilla can run 200 miles per hour, except when it is trying to catch a taxi the protagonists are in.

MV Ghidorah is this planet killing menace, except when it tries to kill our young protagonist in the stadium. Etc.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

godjacob wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 pm Anti-Feats with Kaiju involving humans should be just ignored. Plot armor is a variable that trumps any feat and shouldn't detract from the monsters.

1998 Godzilla can run 200 miles per hour, except when it is trying to catch a taxi the protagonists are in.

MV Ghidorah is this planet killing menace, except when it tries to kill our young protagonist in the stadium. Etc.
I'm not coming after you or people who like discussing fantasy matches so please don't take it that way, but this is why I don't really care for them. I just find it quite ridiculous to attempt to quantify many of the things depicted in these movies, especially to any sort of consistency of over events even within the same movie. Does the amount of the joules produced by Legendary Goji's beam really matter if in one scene it can burrow to the earth's center, and in the next it gives Kong a third degree burn? I know that's kind of a hyperbolic interpretation, but those are just my thoughts I guess.
He Jock it Made of Steel

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Blame the script writers and convenience.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Well I guess a further question is why do we even need to blame the script writers? I guess it depends on what people watch these movies for, and obviously suspension of disbelief is entirely subjective, but why should it even matter? These creatures pure existence already defy the laws of nature, physics, etc.
He Jock it Made of Steel

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:30 pm Well I guess a further question is why do we even need to blame the script writers? I guess it depends on what people watch these movies for, and obviously suspension of disbelief is entirely subjective, but why should it even matter? These creatures pure existence already defy the laws of nature, physics, etc.
Yeah, "blame" is really a bizarre word to apply for people who simply prioritized storytelling in the telling of their story.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:43 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 pm Anti-Feats with Kaiju involving humans should be just ignored. Plot armor is a variable that trumps any feat and shouldn't detract from the monsters.

I'm not coming after you or people who like discussing fantasy matches so please don't take it that way, but this is why I don't really care for them. I just find it quite ridiculous to attempt to quantify many of the things depicted in these movies, especially to any sort of consistency of over events even within the same movie. Does the amount of the joules produced by Legendary Goji's beam really matter if in one scene it can burrow to the earth's center, and in the next it gives Kong a third degree burn? I know that's kind of a hyperbolic interpretation, but those are just my thoughts I guess.
I just figured Godzilla takes a long time of prolonged fire to reach the power needed for that hole trick, so no reason to asssume its combat efficient.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Removing the respective portayals of Godzilla out of the equation King of the Monsters isn't any better than Godzilla 98 from an acting, story, character, or scripting standpoint.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:26 pm Removing the respective portayals of Godzilla out of the equation King of the Monsters isn't any better than Godzilla 98 from an acting, story, character, or scripting standpoint.
Hey, it was nice knowing you, dude.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I mean this is the thread for that. Anywhere else would've been fair game for a discussion lol.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:11 pm I mean this is the thread for that. Anywhere else would've been fair game for a discussion lol.
Damn, but what an unpopular opinion.

Sheeeeesh

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Take all the monsters out of both films and focus just on the writing and characters.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983