Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by UltramanGoji »

I can't fathom hating any Godzilla movie, even something I find as dull and lifeless as Tokyo S.O.S. or as needlessly subversive as the Anime trilogy. It's Godzilla, there'll always be some aspect in these films that I'll enjoy.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

The only Godzilla film I'd say I hate is one that makes a big promise but does jack all with it. One that seems to deliberately trick the audience with the promise of something cool, only to not deliver.

FUCK THE PLANET EATER!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:00 pm I can't fathom hating any Godzilla movie, even something I find as dull and lifeless as Tokyo S.O.S. or as needlessly subversive as the Anime trilogy. It's Godzilla, there'll always be some aspect in these films that I'll enjoy.
Yeah, I haven't hated any of these movies since I was an edgy teenager. :P The best I can give you for something like the anime trilogy or GINO is that I don't like them and don't wanna watch them; anything more extreme than that just feels like a big overreaction *to me*, but to each his own.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I would never say I “hate” a Godzilla movie, as even the worst Godzilla movie is leagues better than something like an Asylum movie or Bayformers, but the one Godzilla movie I can say for sure that I dislike is Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla. It’s just a fucking confused mess and a terrible slog.

Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs Megaguirus might join that list when I rewatch them, as I’ve never had the highest opinion on either of those.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Well, when people say they "hate" a movie, they generally aren't talking about the kind of genuine negative emotion that we associate with, say, severe Last Jedi haters or anything. They're just using colorful language to express the degree to which the movie disappointed, irritated, or otherwise failed them as viewers.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I only "hate" a movie if it actually manages to make me physically angry while watching it. So far no Godzilla movie has yet accomplished that feat. Not even the ones I bitch about on here. :lol:

So I'm going to have to join the consensus and say I don't hate any Godzilla movie either.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:52 am Well, when people say they "hate" a movie, they generally aren't talking about the kind of genuine negative emotion that we associate with, say, severe Last Jedi haters or anything. They're just using colorful language to express the degree to which the movie disappointed, irritated, or otherwise failed them as viewers.
That's fair, but I think Voyager's post was begging to be taken literally (although fuck if I know that was his intent). "I hate Godzilla vs Megaguirus with such a fiery passion. While I think it's objectively better than some Godzilla films, I hate it with all my heart."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 pm
eabaker wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:52 am Well, when people say they "hate" a movie, they generally aren't talking about the kind of genuine negative emotion that we associate with, say, severe Last Jedi haters or anything. They're just using colorful language to express the degree to which the movie disappointed, irritated, or otherwise failed them as viewers.
That's fair, but I think Voyager's post was begging to be taken literally (although fuck if I know that was his intent). "I hate Godzilla vs Megaguirus with such a fiery passion. While I think it's objectively better than some Godzilla films, I hate it with all my heart."
I see where you'd coming from. :)
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Time for my input :)

As it turns out, I don’t really hate it. I just wanted to express my disliking and disappointment, and I probably made it sound too literal.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:40 pm Time for my input :)

As it turns out, I don’t really hate it. I just wanted to express my disliking and disappointment, and I probably made it sound too literal.
Yes! Once again, my benefit-of-the-doubt powers win the day!

Apgigan
Monsterland Worker

Post by Apgigan »

I hate the Monsterverse Mechagodzilla.

I hate his stupid looking face, his giant minecraft arms, his cartoony grabby hands, his tiny dorsal spines. He barely even looks like Godzilla.

For me it's: Heisei Poster MG>Showa>Kiryu>Heisei>Anime>RPO>Monsterverse

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

MVMG is growing on me but I still think Destroyah should have been the big bad of GvK.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Sometimes, a person can hate a film just from being bored by it, or mere wasted potential.
I thought TLJ was average and even I know this.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:59 pm
Sometimes, a person can hate a film just from being bored by it, or mere wasted potential.
I thought TLJ was average and even I know this.
If boredom is enough to induce literal sincere hatred in a viewer, then said viewer has some serious problem to work out.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Yeah, I gotta agree that I never HATE a movie as in despise it completely or get mad because it exists. Frustrated, yes! Annoyed by it's waste of potential, that too! But not sincere absolute hate.

The closest is some movies I associate with some bad experiences uninvolved with the movie but otherwise....nah.

Like Baker said, sincere hatred for a piece of media is...baffling.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:53 am Yeah, I gotta agree that I never HATE a movie as in despise it completely or get mad because it exists. Frustrated, yes! Annoyed by it's waste of potential, that too! But not sincere absolute hate.

The closest is some movies I associate with some bad experiences uninvolved with the movie but otherwise....nah.

The few works of film/art/literature that I sincerely hate (or at least come close to hating) I feel that way about more for their themes/messages/implications than simply for my perception of their quality or entertainment value.

Voddak
Ronin

Post by Voddak »

Ok im not sure if someone else has posted this but I guess my uber spicy hot take is that maybe shin wouldn't be nearly as powerful in a fight than people make it seem. Its not really about general power because obviously shin is a total beefcake in that regard, but in a straight fight I feel like shin as we know him wouldn't really win against the likes of other similar sized modern kaiju (primarily other recent godzillas). I doubt he'd actually die or even really "lose" but im not sure he'd win either, especially considering he had limited energy for his big hot spicy breath. Do note I dont think shin is the worst thing Toho has ever made and I love him very much but im just being realistic :P

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:53 am Yeah, I gotta agree that I never HATE a movie as in despise it completely or get mad because it exists. Frustrated, yes! Annoyed by it's waste of potential, that too! But not sincere absolute hate.

The few works of film/art/literature that I sincerely hate (or at least come close to hating) I feel that way about more for their themes/messages/implications than simply for my perception of their quality or entertainment value.
I'm starting to wonder if this might make an interesting thread in the Media section. "What movies do you actually feel hatred for?"
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There's already a topic about movies people refuse to see for personal reasons, so it could be done.

I've been annoyed by a movie for various reasons, but I don't hate any. The film Your Highness was an awful 2 hours I'll never get back, but I wouldn't say I hate it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think hate is used for a lot when people really mean dislike. Me for example I don't like Shin Godzilla, the movie wasn't for me. I however won't rain on anyone else's parade and if Shin came back I'd check it, I liked him when he fought the Eva's. I also don't like the abime trilogy but I love Godzilla Earth himself and his back story.

Godzilla has too many films for us to like all of them or hate all of them. That's what makes the franchise so vast and gives it longevity. There is something for everyone.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image