The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:57 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:47 pm I know, I should've said I was digressing. These films are merely the ones I don't know what the official English-language titles used in Japan are.
Nine times out of ten (at least), the titles used on the most recent American video releases will be the preferred/official titles. But, to more precisely answer your question:

Varan; Dogora (original English title was, apparently, "Space Monster Dogora"); Gamera; Frankenstein vs. Baragon; Gappa, the Triphibian Monster (the original title was simply "Gappa"); Space Amoeba.
Thanks a lot! That's a big help.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:24 pm Dude, J.D is bad but can I just say in general the old dudes who bitch about how the new films are "wrong" in some way are the worst?

Like, I think we can agree people who decry Shin as nationalist propaganda and those guys who claim Americans can't GET Godzilla to dismiss the Monsterverse both suck equally
Honestly it just sucks seeing some of these guys who contributed so much to US fandom back in the day showing their asses on the internet. But yeah, the whole "Shin Godzilla is about nationalism" really sticks in the craw.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:26 pm Shin? Nationalist propaganda? That movie literally mocked the Japanese government. It's as far away from propaganda as you can get. Those people must be out of their minds.
While I don't regard Shin as "nationalistic propaganda," something can absolutely be nationalistic propaganda while mocking a current administration or governmental body.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

showing your own country be annihilated by a monster thats explicitly shown to be your fault and your nations lack of care when handling it = nationalism

sure

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:33 pm showing your own country be annihilated by a monster thats explicitly shown to be your fault and your nations lack of care when handling it = nationalism

sure
B-b-bb-but the Showa Memorial Park was in the movie! A-a-aa-and they said government bad! It's clearly Nashinalism!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I legit think most of the people that accuse Shin of being nationalist propaganda are just butthurt Americans that are mad the movie doesn't suck America's red white and blue cock and says maybe America should back off a bit and that blowing shit up isn't always the answer.
Last edited by Kaltes-Herzeleid on Mon May 24, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:06 pm I legit think most of the people that accuse Shin of being nationalist propaganda are just butthurt Americans that are mad the movie doesn't suck America's red white and blue cock and says maybe America should back off a bit and that blowing shit up isn't always the answer.
I agree with this, 100%.

Although, I do kind of wish Americans aren’t always portrayed as wanting to just blow stuff up as an answer. I’m not even American and this bugs me.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:06 pm I legit think most of the people that accuse Shin of being nationalist propaganda are just butthurt Americans that are mad the movie doesn't suck America's red white and blue rooster and says maybe America should back off a bit and that blowing poop up isn't always the answer.
Funny post.

America doesn't just blow stuff up all Willy nilly, there's proper channels to go through and if the call is to "blow shyt up" it's because it's what they thought was best at that given moment of time. .... :roll: .

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think Shin Godzilla just asks and answers an uncomfortable question regarding the United States involvement with Japan and military operations. What if military/world interests in Japan, outweigh the lives of people living in Japan? Does the U.S. military/US actually care about Japan, or is it more a strategical outpost and the US is ambivalent to the region it's located in? While I don't support nuclear weapons, through showcasing Shin's threat to Japan and the world, a legitimately tense and realistic scenario is given where the possibility of using a nuclear weapon isn't downright crazy.

Structurally and thematically, it also showcases a nice foil to the foibles of the Japanese government in the film. In the same way the Japanese government is exaggeratedly slow and incompetent, the United States military is exaggeratedly very gung-ho. People often ignore that in the context of Shin that Ann Patterson is American, and that a large part of the film is centered around positive interaction with foreign countries and internationalism while continuing to be a very Japanese centered film. We can debate the ethics of having the actor being played by a full Japanese actress, but in it's own way if you pay attention Ann Patterson is a pretty subversive character to what most people would be considered "nationalism".

Usually red flags of Japanese nationalism are those that argue that we "must fight to the end" or those that attempt or make an argument to justify bad means.

As one final aside, remember that G14 had the military wanting to use nukes on the MUTOs, with very little time (versus Shin's two week count down) but you don't see the same level of overanalysis. Shin is probably also a parody of that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:31 pm People often ignore that in the context of Shin that Ann Patterson is American, and that a large part of the film is centered around positive interaction with foreign countries and internationalism while continuing to be a very Japanese centered film.
To add to this, the story is about a younger generation stepping up to replace a complacent older generation that doesn't realize how out of touch it is, and also (I like to think) implies a future with more cooperative (rather than lopsided) relations between Japan and America.
That aside, nothing about how the story shakes out says "We must return to the old ways." It's about a new generation forging a new path. That's inherently contrary to what I know of the kind of nationalist movements the film is associated with.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Certainly traditionalism and formality are both tossed out the window in favor of what the movie largely presents as a more "modern" and "American" approaches. "America shouldn't make all our decisions for us" is not a fervently nationalistic stance. The most troubling moment is probably the "In America the President decides; who decides here?" question, in that it could be read as supporting an at least authoritarian-leaning system (I can't say for sure, but I've often wondered if the line was reference George W. Bush's "I am the decider" comment). The movie is definitely disdainful of excessive bureaucracy, which is a hallmark of mismanaged democracy, but it's also a hallmark of pretty much any other kind of mismanaged government.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Deadzilla being revealed as a predator is something so horrifying and vile to me, I still somewhat struggle to process it and I only learned about it a month after the whole ordeal happened... It truly made me cringe to the core. It's been two months since I found out about this, and I still feel haunted by it in a way, I know by now people no longer care about the topic but I just can't really hold in my shock for much longer.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

AllosaurHell wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:49 am Deadzilla being revealed as a predator is something so horrifying and vile to me, I still somewhat struggle to process it and I only learned about it a month after the whole ordeal happened... It truly made me cringe to the core. It's been two months since I found out about this, and I still feel haunted by it in a way, I know by now people no longer care about the topic but I just can't really hold in my shock for much longer.
It's totally valid man. As I said in another thread when the whole thing came out, I knew him personally and considered him a friend, and I'm still having a bit of a hard time processing his behavior and reaction to being busted.
Without naming names, it also troubles me that certain other "bigwigs" in the fan community who I've seen dealing and interacting with him first hand made no comment on his scandal.
I feel that type of behavior has existed or currently exists in a lot of spheres of this fandom unfortunately, and Deadzilla only got caught because he was doing what he did at work in a school environment, so it was bound to come out. I've met a lot of really amazing people through the Godzilla fandom, but also some creepy motherfuckers.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Tue May 25, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 pm
AllosaurHell wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:49 am Deadzilla being revealed as a predator is something so horrifying and vile to me, I still somewhat struggle to process it and I only learned about it a month after the whole ordeal happened... It truly made me cringe to the core. It's been two months since I found out about this, and I still feel haunted by it in a way, I know by now people no longer care about the topic but I just can't really hold in my shock for much longer.
It's totally valid man. As I said in another thread when the whole thing came out, I knew him personally and considered him a friend, and I'm still having a bit of a hard time processing his behavior and reaction to being busted.
Without naming names, it also troubles me that certain other "bigwigs" in the fan community who I've seen dealing and interacting with him first hand made no comment on his scandal.
I feel that type of behavior has existed or currently exists in a lot of spheres of this fandom unfortunately, and Deadzilla only got caught because he was doing what he did at work in a school environment, so it was bound to come out. I've met a lot of really amazing people through the Godzilla fandom, but also some creepy motherskreeonkers.
Believe me dude... You're extremely correct, I've actually met very creepy, disturbed people in the fandom, some who you wouldn't suspect but I saw their dark side, it took a toll on me and made me mostly distant from the internet Godzilla fandom. Many of these people would stalk me, and add me to "group chats" to insult me and I was only an immature 13 year old and some of these people were in their 30s mind you.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The best thing to ever happen to this fandom is ME.

Change my mind.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

AllosaurHell wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 pm Believe me dude... You're extremely correct, I've actually met very creepy, disturbed people in the fandom, some who you wouldn't suspect but I saw their dark side, it took a toll on me and made me mostly distant from the internet Godzilla fandom. Many of these people would stalk me, and add me to "group chats" to insult me and I was only an immature 13 year old and some of these people were in their 30s mind you.
It's a shame because that kinda stuff still definitely happens. Thankfully TK seems to be free of that kinda bullshit.
goji89 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:11 pm The best thing to ever happen to this fandom is ME.

Change my mind.
You and Final Wars buddy! :huge:

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:17 pm
AllosaurHell wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 pm Believe me dude... You're extremely correct, I've actually met very creepy, disturbed people in the fandom, some who you wouldn't suspect but I saw their dark side, it took a toll on me and made me mostly distant from the internet Godzilla fandom. Many of these people would stalk me, and add me to "group chats" to insult me and I was only an immature 13 year old and some of these people were in their 30s mind you.
It's a shame because that kinda stuff still definitely happens. Thankfully TK seems to be free of that kinda bullshit.
Unlike back then, if stuff like this were to happen, I could have an easier time to report the issues and prove them, back then it was a much more dire, desolate time.

Added in 1 minute 51 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:11 pm The best thing to ever happen to this fandom is ME.

Change my mind.
I mean, I do remember you warning me a few years ago in the "Random facts about you" thread where I posted too many facts, and you remarked that I basically wrote an autobiography and warned me in Spanish about being careful with people in the fandom in case they use my information against me, so I do appreciate that level of generosity.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 pm
I feel that type of behavior has existed or currently exists in a lot of spheres of this fandom unfortunately, and Deadzilla only got caught because he was doing what he did at work in a school environment, so it was bound to come out. I've met a lot of really amazing people through the Godzilla fandom, but also some creepy motherskreeonkers.
I didn't know him personally, but so far it's the only time someone being outed as a creep has actually hurt me emotionally. I really did admire his work and considered him a fandom gold standard...damn how wrong I was. I'd been watching his content since I was thirteen or fourteen and still have a lot of fond memories of seeing new stuff by him pop up when I'd browse Youtube after school.

And yeah I have no doubt more creeps like that are in the fandom. I remember Alyssa Goji Geek (or whatever she calls herself) did a few videos talking about stuff like that in the community and her first hand experiences with individuals like that. Not sure if she did any extended followup on that not.
Resized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Ever since i heard of Deadzilla being a creep i actually refuse watching his older videos, despite the fact they actually mean a lot to me since they kept my interest in Godzilla high during the drought phase. I don't need to remind myself that i use to be a supporter of that monster.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Gigantis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:07 pm Ever since i heard of Deadzilla being a creep i actually refuse watching his older videos, despite the fact they actually mean a lot to me since they kept my interest in Godzilla high during the drought phase. I don't need to remind myself that i use to be a supporter of that monster.
It's sad but true... It's hard but we probably have to repress this part of our lives in retrospect.