The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Creature22 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:21 am You'd be surprised at how many people care more about the lore of the movies than the movies themselves. Most arguments I see tend to fall under one of these two categories:

1. Toys
2. "Power Levels" (or whatever dumb thing you want to call it)
I think setting consistency and lore is important, but only to a certain point. When you let it absolutely destroy your enjoyment of an otherwise solid movie then you've taken it too far imo.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I believe that stories live through re-telling and transformation. Too much concern with lore and canon limits their room for growth.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:32 am I believe that stories live through re-telling and transformation. Too much concern with lore and canon limits their room for growth.
So long as it doesn't break the consistency the series has established I fully agree.

Like making Shin be hurt by very powerful modern military weapons like bunker busters feels entirely fitting in the context of that version of setting but would probably raise a few eyebrows if you had that happen to any other Godzilla (not counting specific anti-Kaiju weapons making them go 'ow' like Maser tanks and such, or GvK's weaponry).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:36 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:32 am I believe that stories live through re-telling and transformation. Too much concern with lore and canon limits their room for growth.
So long as it doesn't break the consistency the series has established I fully agree.

Like making Shin be hurt by very powerful modern military weapons like bunker busters feels entirely fitting in the context of that version of setting but would probably raise a few eyebrows if you had that happen to any other Godzilla (not counting specific anti-Kaiju weapons making them go 'ow' like Maser tanks and such, or GvK's weaponry).
And I feel like, if the consistency the series has established gets in the way of telling the most meaningful and impactful story possible for a contemporary audience, then the consistency the series has established should be set aside.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:40 am
Mechabrozilla wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:36 am

And I feel like, if the consistency the series has established gets in the way of telling the most meaningful and impactful story possible for a contemporary audience, then the consistency the series has established should be set aside.
Somebody put this on a plaque
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:40 am And I feel like, if the consistency the series has established gets in the way of telling the most meaningful and impactful story possible for a contemporary audience, then the consistency the series has established should be set aside.
I agree to this. 8-)

I think that's why I generally find a lot of the arguments over this stuff to be dumb; there's so much variety now and differing opinions/preferences are going to be a given. You don't have to enjoy the content that comes out, but don't ruin it or bully the people that do.

I don't expect all people to agree on things, but the level of pettiness expressed from some fans (especially the older ones who should know better) is kind of sad.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Creature22 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:56 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:40 am And I feel like, if the consistency the series has established gets in the way of telling the most meaningful and impactful story possible for a contemporary audience, then the consistency the series has established should be set aside.
I agree to this. 8-)

I think that's why I generally find a lot of the arguments over this stuff to be dumb; there's so much variety now and differing opinions/preferences are going to be a given. You don't have to enjoy the content that comes out, but don't ruin it or bully the people that do.

I don't expect all people to agree on things, but the level of pettiness expressed from some fans (especially the older ones who should know better) is kind of sad.
Sorry, man, but Godzilla was just exactly perfect in the mid-80s, when I became a fan. Everything that has happened since has ruined the character. ;)

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:58 am Sorry, man, but Godzilla was just exactly perfect in the mid-80s, when I became a fan. Everything that has happened since has ruined the character. ;)
Okay yeah I really dislike this style of gatekeeping.

Godzilla changes as much as Toho and the writers want him to. He's been everything from a superhero to a cosmic horror to a mutating deep sea creature to a literal possessed zombie.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:15 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:58 am Sorry, man, but Godzilla was just exactly perfect in the mid-80s, when I became a fan. Everything that has happened since has ruined the character. ;)

Godzilla changes as much as Toho and the writers want him to. He's been everything from a superhero to a cosmic horror to a mutating deep sea creature to a literal possessed zombie.
Forgive me, but when has he been a cosmic horror?
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:59 pm

I think he’s talking about the original script for Shin Godzilla where Godzilla himself became an actual Cosmic God
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:05 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:59 pm Forgive me, but when has he been a cosmic horror?
I think he’s talking about the original script for Shin Godzilla where Godzilla himself became an actual Cosmic God
Yep! That and its heavily implied in
Spoiler:
Singular Point
at least to a degree.

Oh, and he's been a giant murderous hyperevolved plant too.
Last edited by Mechabrozilla on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:59 pm

I've been told that was fake. It was added to Gojipedia as fabricated information that was later disproven.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla has become like Frankenstein or Dracula in that the character is pliable. Sure, there are some qualities that are to be expected, but otherwise, Godzilla can be used to tell multiple stories or bring attention to any issue.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Creature22 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:21 am You'd be surprised at how many people care more about the lore of the movies than the movies themselves. Most arguments I see tend to fall under one of these two categories:

1. Toys
2. "Power Levels" (or whatever dumb thing you want to call it)
Am I the only one who just doesn't care about "power levels" or whatever these people keep analyzing? I know it sounds hypocritical coming from me but it's just too nerdy for me, and I prefer to watch the characters abilities than to read them for some pointless thesis.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Meh, saying one guy can beat up another guy and then giving facts to back it up, isn't nerdy.

No different than guesstimates on UFC and Boxing fights.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:25 am Meh, saying one guy can beat up another guy and then giving facts to back it up, isn't nerdy.

Well, the difference is that Godzilla and friends are fictional characters whose strengths and weaknesses are wholly dependent on screenwriting. That's entirely different than analyzing and comparing two real-world human fighters.

Added in 27 seconds:
And I'd also say that it's nerdy because of the subject matter, although "nerdy" isn't necessarily a bad thing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:46 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:25 am Meh, saying one guy can beat up another guy and then giving facts to back it up, isn't nerdy.

Well, the difference is that Godzilla and friends are fictional characters whose strengths and weaknesses are wholly dependent on screenwriting. That's entirely different than analyzing and comparing two real-world human fighters.

Added in 27 seconds:
And I'd also say that it's nerdy because of the subject matter, although "nerdy" isn't necessarily a bad thing.
True on both accounts, I also don't think nerdy (or geeky) should be looked at as a negative terminology either.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Bob Sherlock
Yojimbo

Post by Bob Sherlock »

The tide pods reference was cringy from GvK, I guess
Last edited by Bob Sherlock on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:48 am

Added in 27 seconds:
True on both accounts, I also don't think nerdy (or geeky) should be looked at as a negative terminology either.
Too bad it has such a negative stigma.
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:20 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:59 pm Forgive me, but when has he been a cosmic horror?
Yep! That and its heavily implied in
Spoiler:
Singular Point
at least to a degree.

Oh, and he's been a giant murderous hyperevolved plant too.
Cosmic horrors/eldritch abominations are unknowable monsters. The whole reasoning behind them is they are impossible to understand. We never really know what they are, we never really know what they want, and we never really have a way to deal with them. Think about how an ant would feel if one day, it suddenly was able to understand the entire universe as we do and then suddenly went back to a amoeba sized brain and sensing everything though smells. That's what seeing a Cthullu or Nyartheloep is like. Similarly, modern cosmic horrors apply the same logic to things that just don't make sense: Slenderman is a tall monster that vaugely looks like a man that kidnaps kids and drives people into mad cultists of his. Why does he do this? How does it work? Why us? We never know the basics, just the surreal and nightmareish because that's how cosmic horror works.

NONE of the Reiwa Godzillas are cosmic horror.

Shin Godzilla is odd and his motives aren't exactly clear but what he is is very clear. He's a giant mutant animal, mindlessly walking around and then defending himself, as he searches for radiation/home (See: Who Will Know), and as has been said, the cosmic god rumor is that. A rumor. (Gojipedia sucks, never trust anything it says)

Earth is the least eldritchy: clear idea of what he is, clear agenda in defending the Earth against humanity and everything else, and his origins are the same as every other Godzilla.

Ultima gets close with the reality warping but really, I think he comes close but doesn't fully, given he's clearly some kind of dinosaur in our reality, PP/JJ at some point understand Archetype enough to repel him, and he gives off more "vengeful deity" then "eldritch" vibes.

Sorry, I just...really dislike that a whole genre has just been typecasted as "weird monsters". This argument to me is like claiming Jason Voorhees is a kaiju because he's been exposed to radiation, isn't an ordinary human, immune to most weapons, and is tall.

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:

Added in 27 seconds:
Yeah, there's times where I feel people stretch on how strong/weak a kaiju is based on plot necessity/media restraints as being "Failures of potential"

Also, agree on the stigma around nerdy.

RIP Evan.