The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Terasawa »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am He’s got a point

With how out there Toho is getting with Godzilla we gotta reconsider our stance on 98. SP Godzilla is making zilla look tame with its changes.
That is the most rancorous signature I can ever remember seeing here, wow.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

NSZ wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:03 am
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am
He’s got a point

With how out there Toho is getting with Godzilla we gotta reconsider our stance on 98. SP Godzilla is making zilla look tame with its changes.
lol, no we don't.

Folks even on here have said for years that the design was not the problem with G'98. It's the fact she actively fled from the military and was brought down by conventional arms that make her In Name Only.

The spirit of Godzilla is simply not there. Why do people keep forgetting this part?
Which is why I'm thankful Godzilla: The Series is a thing that fixed that problem.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ah yes, people viewing toys of something that hasn’t even fully been released and making wide and quick comparisons to something that is 20 years old.
Spoiler:
The instant Godzilla Aquatalis appears in the anime, it’s given a sense of fear and majesty and is pretty much in line with most Godzilla incarnations, which is why I’m assuming that the people contemplating haven’t watched the series. Also, there’s a final Godzilla, which is the equivalent and what is actually Godzilla.
NSZ debates the strawmen at foot here so maybe it’s not even worth getting into,

Added in 2 minutes 30 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:38 amThat is the most rancorous signature I can ever remember seeing here, wow.
Yeah, I think his sig is worthy of the thread within itself. 8-)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Most people admitted 98 counted as a Godzilla years ago. What the heck is this dude on about?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gigantis wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 am Most people admitted 98 counted as a Godzilla years ago. What the heck is this dude on about?
He likes being a multi-level contrarian and intellectual. Not saying it’s inherently bad.

Opinion’s an opinion but... Gigantis is right. Heck, I hated G98 as a younger but even I counted him as a Godzilla.
For Emperor and Empire!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

There's a lotta talk on the Brazilian Godzilla FB Groups about shipping Godzilla with Lady Dimitrescu (from the Resident Evil franchise). WTF?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gigantis wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 am Most people admitted 98 counted as a Godzilla years ago. What the heck is this dude on about?
"Most people" being a total of like, 7 people, doesn't count.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:28 am
You sure? Because most people i've seen usually don't disregard the 98 film and monster like they did before G14.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gigantis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:32 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:28 am
You sure? Because most people i've seen usually don't disregard the 98 film and monster like they did before G14.
I still see GINO and Zilla being the main term used for him as his own entity. Though I have seen one dude differentiate the 98 and FW versions as "Godzilla and Zilla" on social media, which imo made him look silly.

Zilla just isn't "Godzilla", and never was, regardless of what money hungry corporate suits call their nuked iguana film.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

A bad Godzilla is still Godzilla.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I guess my thing is, at what point do we draw that line in the sand? When the next Godzilla movie is an auto-bio on a giant ant?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 am I guess my thing is, at what point do we draw that line in the sand? When the next Godzilla movie is an auto-bio on a giant ant?
We draw the line in the sand at what is trade marked and what things are officially released as?

Leprechaun Origins has one of the shittiest adaptations of a character I think I've ever seen, but it's still "Leprechaun" weather we like it or not. The movie is over twenty years old, I'm astounded this is still a debate.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

H-Man wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:25 am There's a lotta talk on the Brazilian Godzilla FB Groups about shipping Godzilla with Lady Dimitrescu (from the Resident Evil franchise). WTF?
It's a doodoopost.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 am I still see GINO and Zilla being the main term used for him as his own entity.
I don't understand this. How is using the GINO acronym an outright denial that the 1998 monster is Godzilla? The acronym stands for "Godzilla in Name Only," so, it's effectively acknowledging that the monster is Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:01 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 am I still see GINO and Zilla being the main term used for him as his own entity.
I don't understand this. How is using the GINO acronym an outright denial that the 1998 monster is Godzilla? The acronym stands for "Godzilla in Name Only," so, it's effectively acknowledging that the monster is Godzilla.
Yes effectively the monster is acknowledged as Godzilla, but as you said, it's strictly In Name Only. No different that a mutated starfish getting a movie called "Godzilla" in my opinion, and I'm typically one of the first to embrace new renditions. Of course an argument could be made that this was an experimental change, still in line with the character. But when broken down to the smallest of bits, there's not a single aspect that connects the character of "Godzilla" to that of "GINO". It'd be like a "Superman" movie except Superman is too afraid to protect anyone, doesn't wear the costume, and dies after attempting to out-power a locomotive.

It seems like a group of execs figured they'd do a checklist of everything needed for a Godzilla film in their eyes,
- Is it giant? Yes.
- Does it cause destruction? Kind of.
- Is it nuclear? Mostly.
- Can we capitalize? Surely.

and that was it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed May 12, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

OK, I don't understand that, either, lol. It seemed to me that you were saying that fans who call the '98 movie or character "GINO" are inherently denying that it's Godzilla. In my opinion, no, they're not. Some, such as myself, are just acknowledging that the monster is officially Godzilla, regardless of the movie's or character's myriad faults.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:17 am
It seems like a group of execs figured they'd do a checklist of everything needed for a Godzilla film in their eyes,
- Is it giant? Yes.
- Is it nuclear? Mostly.
I'm not sure who you are referring to when you say "execs", because that isn't even close to any of the making of stuff I've watched or read.

It's always seemed that a lot of the crew, people "making" Godzilla, always felt they were doing something great in tribute. Emmerich was the fly in the ointment, again from what I've read or seen. This is why Godzilla: The Series is much better; Emmerich wasn't in the picture and the rest of the production crew were able to make the Godzilla they wanted.

I get all of the negatives around it, it's in my bottom 5, but it's still a Godzilla film, and to discredit it is an insult to the kids that grew up with that as their Godzilla.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Maritonic wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:24 am I get all of the negatives around it, it's in my bottom 5, but it's still a Godzilla film, and to discredit it is an insult to the kids that grew up with that as their Godzilla.
Even more than that, regardless of one's opinion on how faithful it is to other Godzillas, claiming that it isn't is just ignoring reality. It's Godzilla, both the film and the monster.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:24 am
- Is it giant? Yes.
- Is it nuclear? Mostly.
I'm not sure who you are referring to when you say "execs", because that isn't even close to any of the making of stuff I've watched or read.

It's always seemed that a lot of the crew, people "making" Godzilla, always felt they were doing something great in tribute. Emmerich was the fly in the ointment, again from what I've read or seen. This is why Godzilla: The Series is much better; Emmerich wasn't in the picture and the rest of the production crew were able to make the Godzilla they wanted.

I get all of the negatives around it, it's in my bottom 5, but it's still a Godzilla film, and to discredit it is an insult to the kids that grew up with that as their Godzilla.
That's fair, when I said execs I really just meant the higher-ups on the film. We can leave it on that note. I do think GTS was a course correction if just a small one.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:01 am
t'd be like a "Superman" movie except Superman is too afraid to protect anyone, doesn't wear the costume, and dies after attempting to out-power a locomotive.
You are almost perfectly describing the 80+ seasons of the hit WB show called Smallvile(TM)

Jk

Yeah I mainly just refer to 98 as 98Zilla, Zilla, Goji 1998 or whatever. Honestly I think people can call him whatever they want as all his nicknames have been so ingrained in the fanbase and the film that I don't see much of a point. Everyone knows who he is so there's no real confusion possible

The official term for the 98 monster is and will always be Godzilla, and Zilla's design and character are based on that incarnation

It all just depends on how much of a grudge one still has against the movie

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu