The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by edgaguirus »

I could see better known kaiju like Anguirus be added, but we'll never see the likes of Gezora, Varan, or Gorosaurus. Besides, we have unexplored kaiju like Behemoth and Scylla who've already had limited screen time. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:55 pm I could see better known kaiju like Anguirus be added, but we'll never see the likes of Gezora, Varan, or Gorosaurus. Besides, we have unexplored kaiju like Behemoth and Scylla who've already had limited screen time. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

None of them have any name recognition or star power.

Someone quick, off the top of your head come up with an idea for the next MV Godzilla film that involves a monster casual fans have actually heard of AND care about while also telling me what would make it more appealing to general audiences than KOTM.

Future MV Godzilla films have nowhere to go but down. This isn't the MCU.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:00 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:55 pm I could see better known kaiju like Anguirus be added, but we'll never see the likes of Gezora, Varan, or Gorosaurus. Besides, we have unexplored kaiju like Behemoth and Scylla who've already had limited screen time. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

None of them have any name recognition or star power.

Someone quick, off the top of your head come up with an idea for the next MV Godzilla film that involves a monster casual fans have actually heard of AND care about while also telling me what would make it more appealing to general audiences than KOTM.

Future MV Godzilla films have nowhere to go but down. This isn't the MCU.

After the events of GvK, a new titan is found deep under the earth, which Monarch investigates. Like Ghidorah it came from space, and gains the name Titanus Gigan. After experiments are conducted on it, Gigan and awakens, causes havoc, and tries to flee back to where he came from. Unfortunately for the confused alien, Godzilla doesn’t like it very much.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

See, if I was a general moviegoer this would do nothing for me. Gigan doesn't gave the name appeal of Rodan, Ghidorah, Mothra, Kong or Mechagodzilla. No one outside of hardcore fans is going to go see the movie specifically for Gigan. The plot sounds like any other Godzilla movie. Nothing about it screams blockbuster.

If I was someone at Legendary I would have no idea what to do with Godzilla next in a way that GUARANTEES box office success.

Fans gotta get out of that bubble.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:13 pm See, if I was a general moviegoer this would do nothing for me. Gigan doesn't gave the name appeal of Rodan, Ghidorah, Mothra, Kong or Mechagodzilla. No one outside of hardcore fans is going to go see the movie specifically for Gigan. The plot sounds like any other Godzilla movie. Nothing about it screams blockbuster.

If I was someone at Legendary I would have no idea what to do with Godzilla next in a way that GUARANTEES box office success.

You'd be surprised how many casual and non fans know about lesser monsters like Gigan, Destroyah, etc. I was legit stunned when I was having a conversation with a casual and they brought up monsters like Gigan and Anguirus. I know that sounds really gatekeep-y, but I think fans underestimate people's knowledge of the Godzilla roster.

Additionally, simply because they're not well known now doesn't mean doing them justice in a big-budget Hollywood flick won't propel them to stardom. As for your previous post about "make a plot for the next movie", someone here made a really compelling case for Biollante being a genetically engineered creature who is initially a "beneficial" by restoring ecosystems, but she inadvertently causes havoc as her "spores" indiscriminately overrun and overtake whole cities. This puts Godzilla in an interesting moral dilemma where he has to choose between killing Biollante and reversing all the good she's done, or allowing her to return the Earth to a natural state. I'm sure it was more detailed than what i just wrote, but this is just from memory.
Last edited by Breakdown on Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:13 pm See, if I was a general moviegoer this would do nothing for me. Gigan doesn't gave the name appeal of Rodan, Ghidorah, Mothra, Kong or Mechagodzilla. No one outside of hardcore fans is going to go see the movie specifically for Gigan. The plot sounds like any other Godzilla movie. Nothing about it screams blockbuster.

Then you were asking for the impossible. Just… don’t act all high and mighty because you’ve taken the redpill and can see outside the box, whereas the rest of us are stuck inside. It was a mere suggestion, and nothing more.

Back onto cringe. When people formulate opinions solely based around others’ opinions and don’t even give the movie a chance. This is most common in the fandom with SoG.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Destroy All Monsters or a Son of Godzilla properly marketed towards kids are the safest options, I'd say. DAM's multi-monster chaos angle is an easy sell, and Godzilla's son is fairly well known among the GA, even if maybe not that popular. Cute sells these days, though, so make the kid cute and memeable, include some comedy and a cool villain monster, and I'm sure it could work.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

If Son of Godzilla had better designs for Godzilla and Minilla, it would be a lot more well-regarded. It's a damn good flick.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:31 pm If Son of Godzilla had better designs for Godzilla and Minilla, it would be a lot more well-regarded. It's a damn good flick.
That damn ending gets me every damn time.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:34 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:31 pm If Son of Godzilla had better designs for Godzilla and Minilla, it would be a lot more well-regarded. It's a damn good flick.
Me too. The most wholesome moment in all of Godzilla.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

On the subject of the Monsterverse MCU comparison, to be fair, I dont think many casual people knew who Iron Man was before the MCU, and that movie was still a massive success. So its not completely out of the question for a relatively unknown kaijiu to be successful. I guess the bigger problem there is that the MCU movies, generally speaking, REALLY GOOD. Where as the best I can say for the Monsterverse post G-2014 is....damn, that was cool. And that's about it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:44 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:34 pm
Me too. The most wholesome moment in all of Godzilla.
It's a beautiful ending, and it works because the movie has earned it. Not only has the Godzilla/Minya relationship been built up well, but you've also got a compelling human ensemble celebrating a hard fought victory.

I hear a lot of mention of how good the wirework is in this movie (justifiably so), but not as many people seem to talk about all the exceptional compositing. We get a lot of opportunities to see huamans and kaiju in the same frame, sometimes with some complex movement involved - and those shots often also require wirework!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Can we get an animated video of Godzilla playing this song?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I, uh... I don't think I even need to tell you why this is wrong.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:19 am I, uh... I don't think I even need to tell you why this is wrong.
If this was meant to be humorous or satiric it still fails miserably. Seriously, the hell?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Why do people put together garbage like that?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:19 am I, uh... I don't think I even need to tell you why this is wrong.
I love me some dark humor bruh, Lord knows I do but this....? Like, is this supposed to be funny or some sort of satire? Pretty stupid.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I know this happened 20 years ago, but no. It's still painful for many.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

The key to dark humour is that you have to not forget the "humour" part. A lot of people online seem to completely overlook that when making awful "jokes".