The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Jermobooka »

Most people, including me, have come to terms with and have partially accepted GINO as an incarnation of Godzilla after G14 and the MonsterVerse.

I mean, what grudge is there to hold after America/Hollywood has produced a faithful, action packed Godzilla/Kong series with badass designs and incarnations of our favorite kaiju? ;)
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:25 am Most people, including me, have come to terms with and have partially accepted GINO as an incarnation of Godzilla after G14 and the MonsterVerse.

I mean, what grudge is there to hold after America/Hollywood has produced a faithful, action packed Godzilla/Kong series with badass designs and incarnations of our favorite kaiju? ;)
Emmerich.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:27 am Emmerich.
What did Emmerich do to you besides make some mediocre films nobody cares about anymore?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I personally just believe GINO is a subspecies of Godzilla and perfect cool in its own right even if I still think the original film it came from was the biggest insult to the series (If you learn behind the scenes bits about it, and how little Devlin and especially Emmerick actually liked the franchise when they made this it adds salt to the wound). But yeah given Hollywood seems to have a generally more respectful rep of Godzilla now and the franchise has well lived since 98 I think being angry about it now is a bit much especially to GINO himself.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gigantis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:27 am Emmerich.
What did Emmerich do to you besides make some mediocre films nobody cares about anymore?
Disrespect for an icon imo.

Added in 2 minutes 22 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:29 am I personally just believe GINO is a subspecies of Godzilla and perfect cool in its own right even if I still think the original film it came from was the biggest insult to the series (If you learn behind the scenes bits about it, and how little Devlin and especially Emmerick actually liked the franchise when they made this it adds salt to the wound). But yeah given Hollywood seems to have a generally more respectful rep of Godzilla now and the franchise has well lived since 98 I think being angry about it now is a bit much especially to GINO himself.
Yeah I wouldn't say I'm particularly angry, as the film came out 20 whole years ago. Zilla is still Zilla and I like the monster, I just don't consider him the character he was labeled as.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Yeah Emmrich is a bit of a cock-knocker, but '98 ain't that bad. I can say that with the benefit of three decent American cracks at Godzilla.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

No one sets out to make a bad or disappointing movie and it's obvious Devlin and Emmerich thought they really were making the biggest, coolest Godzilla movie ever. But they made the mistake in thinking people only ever liked Godzilla in a MST3K sort of way and that the character needed to be massively reworked in order to be taken seriously and that's where they and Sony went wrong.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

tbeasley wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:15 am No one sets out to make a bad or disappointing movie and it's obvious Devlin and Emmerich thought they really were making the biggest, coolest Godzilla movie ever. But they made the mistake in thinking people only ever liked Godzilla in a MST3K sort of way and that the character needed to be massively reworked in order to be taken seriously and that's where they and Sony went wrong.
Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg (The genius duo behind the cinematic greats Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie etc.) actually are well aware they make crap films. They just care that they get paid, you can even see them admit this in some DVD commentaries.

But yeah, I agree most directors or creative heads in filmmaking do not have this mindset.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GINO ≠ Zilla :mad:

GINO = Godzilla :)
For Emperor and Empire!

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I still like the film despite hating what Emmerich did to it. it's like how I absolutely love the film Aliens despite how much I hate how James Cameron basically tortured Giger by using his aliens the way he did.

And if you don't know the story behind that, basically, Giger adored his alien design, he thought of it as a sort of child to him in a way, crazy I know, but Cameron denied him any real part in the film Aliens which caused him a lot of emotional distress and when he asked why, Cameron essentially told him that he felt that if Giger was on the production team in any way, he wouldn't get the attention he wanted. That's disgusting IMO.

I know that's a bit off topic, but I felt the need to explain it and I only bring it up since we're talking about meddling directors.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mel Brooks once said that you only parody what you love. While his films make fun of famous movies and characters, he always tries to make it funny because he had respect for the source material.

It's clear that Devlin and Emerich like sci fi spectacles with big bangs and action, and it seems that's what they were going for. Godzilla was just a means to an end to create a big summer blockbuster. The Monsterverse films show what can be done when a director likes the source material.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm I still like the film despite hating what Emmerich did to it. it's like how I absolutely love the film Aliens despite how much I hate how James Cameron basically tortured Giger by using his aliens the way he did.

And if you don't know the story behind that, basically, Giger adored his alien design, he thought of it as a sort of child to him in a way, crazy I know, but Cameron denied him any real part in the film Aliens which caused him a lot of emotional distress and when he asked why, Cameron essentially told him that he felt that if Giger was on the production team in any way, he wouldn't get the attention he wanted. That's disgusting IMO.

I know that's a bit off topic, but I felt the need to explain it and I only bring it up since we're talking about meddling directors.
Wow. Interesting. My favorite film of the Alien franchise is Aliens but...that’s a huge ass dick move on Cameron’s part. Wonder how the film would’ve turned out if Giger was on board

Getting somewhat back to topic, the MonsterVerse has redeemed Hollywood/American wholly in the majorities eyes. I mean, look at it. A successful, now mainstream Godzilla + King Kong cinematic universe that honors their respective series past while creating fun, badass, action packed films for all audiences and fans to enjoy while bringing fantastic redesigns and reinterpretations of iconic kaiju

Again, why hold on to hate for ‘98 where we’re clearly past that and now in a kaiju golden age and renaissance with a American made cinematic universe and multiple standalone Toho projects at our feet? Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera, hell, KAIJU haven’t been this popular in forever, and look at us now.

One things for certain though. Those dry years after GFW were damn worth it.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm I still like the film despite hating what Emmerich did to it. it's like how I absolutely love the film Aliens despite how much I hate how James Cameron basically tortured Giger by using his aliens the way he did.

Wow, that's kind of messed up. Still, the main difference here is that Aliens is actually a good movie.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:29 am I personally just believe GINO is a subspecies of Godzilla and perfect cool in its own right even if I still think the original film it came from was the biggest insult to the series (If you learn behind the scenes bits about it, and how little Devlin and especially Emmerick actually liked the franchise when they made this it adds salt to the wound). But yeah given Hollywood seems to have a generally more respectful rep of Godzilla now and the franchise has well lived since 98 I think being angry about it now is a bit much especially to GINO himself.
I actually do like this idea I think it can work in the monsterverse like A group of Zillas live in the Hollow Earth and it is revealed that they are related to Godzilla in some degree

I really do like Aliens not as much as the first, but I sort of hate what they did to the xenomorph, I mean yeah they’re still threatening in the movie but because of that they’re more of thugs that get taken out within 12 seconds on screen now in days, that’s why I love Alien isolation so much, the xenomorph wasn’t a bitch in his own game, also shame that was James Cameron did to H.R Gigers

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 pm
Wow. Interesting. My favorite film of the Alien franchise is Aliens but...that’s a huge ass dick move on Cameron’s part. Wonder how the film would’ve turned out if Giger was on board

Getting somewhat back to topic, the MonsterVerse has redeemed Hollywood/American wholly in the majorities eyes. I mean, look at it. A successful, now mainstream Godzilla + King Kong cinematic universe that honors their respective series past while creating fun, badass, action packed films for all audiences and fans to enjoy while bringing fantastic redesigns and reinterpretations of iconic kaiju

Again, why hold on to hate for ‘98 where we’re clearly past that and now in a kaiju golden age and renaissance with a American made cinematic universe and multiple standalone Toho projects at our feet? Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera, hell, KAIJU haven’t been this popular in forever, and look at us now.

One things for certain though. Those dry years after GFW were damn worth it.
That is honestly a big surprise to me that Cameron would be so disrespectful to the very man who MADE the creature Cameron was making a film to. A shame really.

Also, as to why people hold on to hate for '98, I'unno, but it doesn't surprise me-People feel they 'nearly killed the franchise' or what not, IDK. It's really just the usual 'Oh they just suck' or 'they're literally trash tier' without any explanation as to why. Or being willing to hear other people's take on the character or movie for that matter.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Cringewise, Heisei Mothra’s bird feet are just weird. I don’t get them, and the legs don’t even do anything really.

Minilla is not as good of a child Godzilla as Godzilla Junior was. I’m also not a fan of the more silly later Showa Era films, although the monsters were very good at redeeming the late Showa Era to me.

Dubs are always cringe, so there’s that. Some bad CGI, especially in the Millennium films.

Not a whole lot of cringe, IMO, considering the rest of the franchise.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:07 am Dubs are always cringe
EDIT: YouTube embeds aren't working for some reason. I was going to post Maurice from DOTPOTA telling you to run, but I guess you're out of luck. There are a lot of dub fans here. :)
Last edited by JAGzilla on Mon May 17, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:40 am
VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:07 am Dubs are always cringe
EDIT: YouTube embeds aren't working for some reason. I was going to post Maurice from DOTPOTA telling you to run, but I guess you're out of luck. There are a lot of dub fans here. :)
Oh, lol. I’ve always preferred subtitles TBH, so there’s that :P

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am Oh, lol. I’ve always preferred subtitles TBH, so there’s that :P
Yeah, I mostly prefer subtitles, myself, since you get to hear the actors' actual voices. Good dubs can be pretty enjoyable, though, and bad ones can have unintentional comedic value. Nostalgia and familiarity are factors, too, for dubs you watched as a kid.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

This keeps getting repeated and retold, I guess because people like the idea of Cameron being an asshole, but it isn't true. Giger wasn't involved largely because of Poltergeist II, and when he did reach out to Cameron, he eventually (again, because of production/scheduling) received this letter where Cameron explained himself.

Giger understandably had mixed feelings on Aliens at first (he came around to it more and more overtime), but always acknowledged it as technically well made and approved of the designs, especially the Queen. (The Queen and Warrior Aliens are easily the most faithful to Giger's original design and artwork of all the sequels.)