Best/Worst Character Recreations/Incarnations

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Best/Worst Character Recreations/Incarnations

Post by Voyager »

Time to do a little elaboration for the readers of the thread. Just the big 4 for now.

Godzilla: Showa. His roar is iconic, nearly all of his designs are good, some are even top-tier. His character growth over 14 movies and 1 TV show from a vengeful destroyer to a heroic saviour of the world is really intriguing, and something not really done before or since. He’s just a badass. He fights badass, his themes are badass, etc. I generally also like light hearted heroes over dark, brooding heroes. This is basically the Superman of Godzilla. Ultra powerful, iconic, and with a heart of gold. 64/68/75 are all top tier designs!

Mothra: SOS. It practically combines a beautiful design with a cool mythos. Mothra looks so majestic, and plays her role just as well as she did in the original film. Great roar, epic sacrifice with probably the coolest looking Mothra death, and she’s a fluffy cute moth. What’s more to say?

King Ghidorah: Showa. The regal, campy, destroyer of worlds. The design is top-tier, his roars are extremely iconic, his theme is great, and his origins are inventive and intriguing. He feels very mystical and otherworldly, while at the same time, threatening. KG feels like a real threat to our kaiju and human heroes alike. And that’s just the first film he’s in. Despite what many may say, I kinda like how KG always returns, even as a pawn. It’s almost like KG’s giving himself up, knowing he’d get a chance to fight the monster that had caused him such embarrassment, and basically after his first film, his whole goal was to kill Godzilla, until the very moment he was choked out by Minya.

MG: Showa, specifically ’75, but I don’t mind either. The two different Showa MG’s both represent the my two favourite villain types. But before I explain what I mean, I’ll get the basics out of the way. They both have great designs, even if I prefer the slim, darkened MG75. Anyways, MG74 is the campy villain. Bombastic jazz music, over the top, pyrotechnics, and the shiny retro design. I love him. MG75 on the other hand, is a darker, more threatening and serious villain. An ominous theme that portrays imminent danger, a darker, more angular design and his role as an obelisk of pain that Godzilla really can’t do much to until the climax. MG75 is also like a master that has basically enlisted Titanosaurus to do the hard work for him while he sits back and fires an occasional attack. Both are great and serve their films well.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:07 am Time to do a little elaboration for the readers of the thread. Just the big 4 for now.

MG: Showa, specifically ’75, but I don’t mind either. The two different Showa MG’s both represent the my two favourite villain types. But before I explain what I mean, I’ll get the basics out of the way. They both have great designs, even if I prefer the slim, darkened MG75. Anyways, MG74 is the campy villain. Bombastic jazz music, over the top, pyrotechnics, and the shiny retro design. I love him. MG75 on the other hand, is a darker, more threatening and serious villain. An ominous theme that portrays imminent danger, a darker, more angular design and his role as an obelisk of pain that Godzilla really can’t do much to until the climax. MG75 is also like a master that has basically enlisted Titanosaurus to do the hard work for him while he sits back and fires an occasional attack. Both are great and serve their films well.
Toho should model their next MG after '75 in based on how you described him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Really like what little I've seen of
Spoiler:
Shin Zetton so far. Definitely one of the cooler looking takes on the character.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983