Best/Worst Character Recreations/Incarnations

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Best/Worst Character Recreations/Incarnations

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The best
* Anguirus 1968
* Mothra 2003
* Manda 2004
* MOGUERA
* Gamera 1995
* Gyaos 1995
* Gamera 1999
* Godzilla 2002/2003
* Baby Godzilla
* Minilla 2004
* Godzilla 2014
* Rodan 2004

The worst
* Mothra 90's (marshmellow shit)
* Mechagodzilla 1993 (derpy as F)
* King Caesar 2004 (you fucked up my favorite monster)
* Rodan 1993 (pussy Rodan)
* Kamacuras 2004 (looks faker than the original
* Keizer Ghidorah (fuck you, you're not Ghidorah, you DeathGhidorah wannabe)
* King Kong 1962 (ew)
* Gigan 1973 (derpy as F)
* Ghidorah 2001 (pussy orochi)
* Ghidorah 1972 (manic as F)
* Ebirah 2004 (you look like a fucked bug)
* Godzilla 1967 (ew, wtf)
* Anguirus 2004 (you ugly opossum looking fucker)

And fuck this, I'm not going into detail about every one of these guys :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ZillaJr-KaijuKing
G-Force Personnel

Post by ZillaJr-KaijuKing »

Does the rule about 1998 Godzilla apply to the animated version?

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

ZillaJr-KaijuKing wrote:Does the rule about 1998 Godzilla apply to the animated version?
Eh, not sure. I will say though I do like GINO's design, but not as a Godzilla for sure.

Anywho, does anyone else not like GMK Mothra that much? She is OK but, I don't know, I think her stiffness is what turned me off her design
Resized Image

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Best:
Godzilla (1954/1968): The original monster best represents the darker aspects of the character. Godzilla '68 is my ideal heroic look for the character.
Rodan (1956): Majestic and intimidating. Looks better than the later Showa Era versions and the Millennium Era version. Is better executed than the Heisei Era Rodan.
Mothra (2003): The most detailed and life-like version of the character. An improvement over the one from Godzilla vs. Mothra ('93) and more traditional looking than the one from GMK.
King Ghidorah (1964): The most energetic and iconic version of the character. His cackling is sorely missed.
Despite all the bad things said about him, it should be remembered it always took at least two monsters to overpower him.
MechaGodzilla (1974): Love the retro look, roar, rainbow beams, and rotating finger missiles.
Gamera (1999): Menacing, detailed, and threatening. Less cutsey than the Showa and Millennium designs.

Worst:
King Kong (1962): His suit is simply terrible. Plus the inconsistent arm length bothers me.
MechaGodzilla II (1993): It looks derpy and dull.
Last edited by kamilleblu on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

I don't think I'll ever understand how MG '93 looks "derpy" or has a stupid expression. I just don't see it. I see roughly the exact same expression as MG '74-'75, just with a different face. I like all the Mechagodzillas, but I think they got progressively better, culminating in literally my favorite mech in any movie, Kiryu. He's seriously sexier than the Godzilla in that same movie, who by the way is my least favorite of the Millenium designs.

Apart from that, a few of the best off the top of my head are

-Baragon. So cool he makes the Showa Baragons feel obsolete and silly-looking in comparison.

-Gamera 90s: Not a massive design overhaul, but I love how they made his chest look less like a waffle (for reasons that become obvious at the end of the second one).

-Hell, pretty much every monster they rebooted in the 90s.

-Death Ghidorah. Or really any of the line of monsters starting in the 90s with colors of mostly red and black (think Battra, Destoroyah, Gigan '04). It's a combination of colors that really clicks with me. It really makes that era stand out. Also, the quadruped Ghidorah was a fresh new design concept and I like how it was continued in the form of...

-Keizer Ghidorah. The transformation sequence from Monster X alone is one of my favorite special effects scenes in the series and I love how the mesh of gold and blue that makes it appear as if he's bursting out of his own skin with power. His roar is also thoroughly hellish.

-I'm indifferent to FW Anguirus. He looks...different...weird, but not bad per se.

-As for the Godzillas, I love too many of them to go into detail, but some of the others I'm NOT fond of are Cookie Monsterzilla (you know which ones I'm talking about) and KingGoji. Yeah. To me the head and neck resemble somewhere between a toad and a pitcher plant (with the "mouth" almost closed).

I'll probably post here as I think of more...
Monsters are the real people.

Hellbender93
Ronin

Post by Hellbender93 »

1. I'd say, in concept, the 1955 version is my favorite incarnation of Godzilla. Unfortunately, the rushed schedule of G Raids Again ended up in a very cheap execution of the design. I love the idea of a sleeker 1954 style Goji with a savage fighting style, but I really would have loved it executed with the level of quality of the Mosu Goji suit. I'd say I dislike Heisei Godzilla, as well as most of the other Heisei incarnations, due to their stiffness. In terms of personality, I'd say I like the 2014 and Jan De Bont versions the most and GMK the least. GFW Goji is a guilty pleasure of mine in terms of sleekness and the level of mobility it has, but otherwise it is a very bland and overpowered version of the character that lacks personality.

2. Showa Ghidorah all the way, really hope to see a Ghidorah that goes back to those roots. I like the Heisei design, and I do see some potential in the origin, but it was executed poorly. Grand Ghidorah has an impressive design and a bit more emotive quality than most KGs, but is stiff as a board. GMK Ghidorah had some nice design elements, but is not one of my favorite incarnations of the character. I don't really count Keizar Ghidorah as KG, but more along the lines of a relative like Desghidorah.

3. Tokyo S.O.S. Mothra in terms of design. I'd say I'm in the minority here in saying that I like GMK Mothra's design. Showa Mothra's a childhood classic for me, Mothra vs. Godzilla being one of my first G films. Design was beautifully executed and I loved its size compared to Godzilla. I generally dislike Heisei Mothra and the Leo forms, again, due to being immensely stiff and doing nothing but beam spamming.

4. I'd say Showa Mechagodzilla is my favorite in terms of design, but Kiryu is my favorite in terms of origin. Heisei Mechagodzilla again falls into the trend of stiffness and beam spamming, but this is forgivable given that these are things usually designed into large scale weaponry. Though, I'd say my dream Mechagodzilla is the unused Heisei poster design.

5. The 1965 Rodan is my favorite, with the original as a close second. I like GFW design minus the eyes, but for the most part is a lackluster depiction of the character. Heisei Rodan feels like a complete downgrade of the character...generic design, stiff, beam spammy, and very weak compared to the previous depictions that put up a real fight for Godzilla.

6. Showa Hedorah, definitely. One of my childhood favorites and huge threat to Godzilla and the planet. GFW Hedorah is handled terribly in the film, but there are a few elements of the design I like. I rather like the metallic shine it has, as well as the sickly look to the eyes. I feel those features sell it nicely as a pollution themed kaiju.

7. I'm a big fan of Showa Gigan, but there are some elements of GFW Gigan I like as well. I like the basic form of GFW Gigan, but I hated how he was handled in the story. I like a bit of the audacity of the chainsaw wielding version, but again the execution story wise was terrible. That version also felt less like a Godzilla kaiju and more like a modern suped up Ultraman villain. Back to Showa Gigan, I'd say my favorite part about him is his personality. He is horrendously sadistic and comes of as very cocky, but in truth is a huge coward that is willing to abandon his allies to escape with his own life. I always thought of him as sort of like Starscream in that regard.

8. Gonna screw the pooch and bring Bagan into the fray. I dislike the well known depictions of the character. The version slated to be in the original Return of Godzilla sounds like it would be a clustered, unfocused mish mash of parts. The SNES and suit versions basically take the stiffness and beam spamming of Heisei, but pair it with a bland design that is trying to hard and a pretentious "Strongest Monster EBAR" premise. Personally, I liked the idea of it in the proposal for the creature in the film where it was supposed to fight Mothra. An angry Earth Guardian like Battra, but one that isn't just a design parallel to Mothra and would have shown up in Southeast Asia.

Design wise, I like this depiction of Bagan the most due to it being a fairly simple, but well executed concept that hasn't been seen in the Godzillaverse yet: an elephant.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... extk7j.png

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

- Of all of the Godzilla suits, I really do like KingGoji, MosuGoji, GMK, and GXMGoji some of the best design wise. 54 is pretty decent, and the rest are fairly neutral. The only suits I'm not so much of a fan of are the mid Showa films, and that's just nitpicking really.

- 56 Rodan is one of my all time favorite kaiju, and my favorite suit. I think the Heisei Era and 2004 are alright, but nothing beats the classic.

- I do like a good chunk of the Final Wars designs, no matter how much people may say. It was a bonus for Manda, Kamacuras, Kumonga, and Ebirah, who's original designs hadn't aged all that well. I mean, we went from this to this, and it ended a whole lot better from a design standpoint.

- I'd love to see a Gabara redesign, as he's actually fairly interesting concept wise. Just drop the dream gimmick, and you could do something neat from a Mythological standpoint being an ancient Oni unleashed on a modern world.

- Orochi doesn't get a whole lot of love, even though he's a really interesting kaiju. I'd like to see another film with a similar design with the Heisei design because it was really good.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

DinoMaster wrote:Kumonga who's original designs hadn't aged all that well
Huh? what do you mean it was barely changed.
Godzilla

Godzillagamerafan117
Ronin

Post by Godzillagamerafan117 »

Best:
GMK Godzilla because of how powerful he was and how nobody could really stop him :g2k:
Kiryu/ MechaGodzilla III because it made him both a villain (sort of) and a hero in the same movie

Worst:
Minya 1967 because of the donkey noises he made and just the design was weird
1998....no explanation needed

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Best:
GAMG Godzilla 2002
DAM Anguirus
FW Rodan
S.O.S Mothra
GMK Baragon
Kamacuras 2004 (Showa one didn't even look like a mantis. It looked
Crispy).
Kumonga 2004
Ebirah 2004
Manda 2004

Worst:
Heisei MechaGodzilla
Showa Kamacuras
Showa Ebirah
Godzilla 1967
King Caesar 2004
Heisei Mothra
Last edited by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Best:
Godzilla 2002
Anguirus 1968
Rodan 2004
Mothra 2003
Kamacuras 2004 (Showa one didn't even look like a mantis. It looked
Crispy).
Kumonga 2004
Ebirah 2004
Manda 2004

Worst:
Heisei MechaGodzilla
Showa Kamacuras
Showa Ebirah
Godzilla 1967
King Caesar 2004
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla:
Wow, where to begin? The original 1954 design will always be my favorite; King of the Monsters was my favorite G-film as a kid, and everything from his slow, lumbering movements, slightly upturned iguanadon hands, souless eyes, perfectly shaped spines and the way they don't so much glow, but pulsate before he fires his ray... I just love it. Close behind the original and not in listed in any real order are 1964, 2002/2003, and LPG.

My least favorite Godzilla designs go to the late Showa suits - 1965 and onward. The big googly eyes and frog-like face make Godzilla resemble Kermit the Frog at worst. I suppose the 1969-17972 suit is decent enough, though...

Mothra:
No doubt about it, 2003 Mothra all the way. She is executed perfectly in this movie and remains one of the most realistic looking monsters in the franchise. My least favorite is probably... huh, I'm not really sure. GMK I guess, but I hardly dislike it.

King Ghidorah:
Showa King Ghidorah - 1964, 1965, and 1969. Here is an ancient intergalactic demon, planet killer who was only repelled by the clever tactics of three monsters in his debute, and fought both Godzilla AND Rodan to a standstill (and arguably won, considering the other two never surfaced.) His rapid movements and random beam spamming gave him a personality quite unlike any other Toho monster: he is the living essence of chaos. Sadly the suit quality brought both his personality and threat level down a notch with Godzilla vs Gigan. Since that fateful movie he hasn't been the same since. It's about time Ghidorah gets a REAL comeback.

Least favorite... and anyone who knows me knows what's coming... King Ghidorat. How do you update an ancient planet destroyer that could fight multiple monsters at once? Make him a fucking cutesy-ass chibi hand puppet. No, no, THREE cutsey-ass chibi hand puppets! And nuke them with radiation and watch them merge into a three headed dragon for some fucking -------- reason. And then have him get his ass handed to him twice in the same fucking movie, by ONE monster. He is literally the most nonthreatening villain in the ENTIRE Heisei era. But what, that isn't enough for you? How about we suck all personality from him and make him a lifeless robot; seriously, his personality literally does not change in the slightest between his organic and Mecha stages. And while GMK Ghidorah was a radical departure, at least he was different enough design and power wise for me to accept him as a totally different creature, as with the Mechagodzillas. And at least he actually had SOME FUCKING PERSONALITY. Hell, even Keizer Fucking Ducktape and Papermache Ghidorah was a better Ghidorah than King Ghidorat EVER was.

Well, at least his design was fine.

Rodan:
Design wise, gotta give it to the original 1956 Rodan. Its one of the more realistic looking suits in the series and looks both mean and magnificent at the same time, like a bird of prey. Personality wise it's the 60's Rodan: he comes across as an intelligent but also rather mischievous monster - a bit like a crow, actually. Rodan was the one who set in motion Ghidorah's original defeat, and often attacked Godzilla in humiliating ways and was the first to laugh when he got webbed.

Worst is the Final Wars Rodan. It looks like an ugly Ultraman monster: big thick long Red King neck, giant thunder thighs, a goose head, and a bright neon orange and yellow color scheme. Eww. Not to mention his suit REALLY highlights the actor inside - a direct contrast to the 1956 Rodan.

Mechagodzilla:
Showa - the 1975's thinner and grittier looking suit in particular. While retro, this Mechagodzilla looks mean and powerful, and has quite a bit of character.

Least favorite is the Heisei Mechagodzilla. The design is fine, but it somehow has less personality than King Ghidorat. Which is saying a lot.

Anguirus:
60's/70's Anguirus. Classic design and an even better underdog personality. I also enjoy the 1955 and FW incarnations, though - no Anguirus yet is bad in my book.

Gigan:
Design, FW. Personality, Showa. Though I like both and pretty much consider the two incarnations separate characters entirely, considering how wildly different they look.

Baragon
Holy shit this one is hard. Showa is dangerous, but easily outsmarted and quickly capable of being thrown into frantic rage. Looks cute too. GMK Baragon looks more realistic and is a cunning and determined warrior who won't give up - basically a smarter version of Anguirus.

Meganulon:
Sorry, Rodan, but the updated Millennium look wins all the way.

The rest of the other incarnations are just Final Wars monsters, which don't get a lot of screen time. I'll be brief with them.

Ebirah:
Either.

Kumonga:
Showa.

Kamacurus:
Showa.

King Caeser:
Either.

Hedorah:
Showa.

Manda:
FW
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

GODZILLA

Definitely the hardest to pin down. Almost every version is great in its own right. 2000 would get my pick. The dorsal spikes give him a very menacing and iconic look.

GHIDORAH

Tough, but gotta go with Grand King Ghidorah on this. It took the great Heisei design and made it better. Add in the fact it had Showa-like origins and this incarnation is hard to beat.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

BEST:
KiryuGoji
2001 Anguirus
DougheRado
SOSMosu
Monsterverse Kong
Shin Ghidorah
Union Mechagodzilla

WORST:
GyakushuGoji
FW Anguirus
HeiseiRado
HeiseiMosu
ShodaiKongu
GMKGhido
HeiseiMekagoji
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Kiryu is the best MG. Everything about him is damn perfection. Actual lightning in a bottle.

Heisei Mothra and Rodan are just downgrades from their Showa counterparts. You got a Toy aisle plushie moth and a bald, sunburnt pelican with horns stapled to its head for two of the most iconic movie monsters ever.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:31 pm Kiryu is the best MG. Everything about him is damn perfection. Actual lightning in a bottle.

Heisei Mothra and Rodan are just downgrades from their Showa counterparts. You got a Toy aisle plushie moth and a bald, sunburnt pelican with horns stapled to its head for two of the most iconic movie monsters ever.
1. Heresy. You have broken the holy law laid down by Jun Fukuda and Ishiro Honda. Prepare to die at my righteous blade.

2. Of course, my boy! For you would be charged with two accounts of heresy if you meant the opposite.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

BEST RECREATIONS:
Shin Godzilla/Godzilla Ultima
FW Rodan
Grand King Ghidorah
Heisei Mothra
Peter Jackson’s King Kong
SP Anguirus
Battra
Desghidorah
FW Gigan
Heisei/Ready Player One MechaGodzilla
Godzilla Junior
FW Kumonga
FW Kamacuras

BEST INCARNATIONS:
Godzilla 1954/Shin Godzilla
Showa Rodan
Showa/Grand King Ghidorah
Heisei Mothra
Peter Jackson’s King Kong
IDW Anguirus
IDW Gigan
Showa/Heisei/Ready Player One MechaGodzilla
Minilla/Godzilla Junior

WORST INCARNATIONS:
Godzilla Earth/KiryuGoji
Singular Point/MV Rodan
GMK/Anime Ghidorah
GMK Mothra
1976 King Kong
MechaGodzilla City
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Singular Point Jet Jaguar is damn fantastic in every single way. Love the Mazinger Z and Tetsujin 28-go/Gigantor inspirations behind the design.

GMK Mothra on the other hand? Blegh…don’t like it that much. The more “realistic” appearance combined with Mothra’s usual design just…doesn’t work at all.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Big agree on GMK Mothra. Like the Monsterverse iteration (the one big monster redesign misfire in KotM), it feels like the artists' good ideas just didn't work out in the finished product.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SOS Mothra is the perfection recreation of the majestic goddess. Magnifique!
For Emperor and Empire!