Official "Toho-On-TV" Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Re: Official "Toho-On-TV" Thread

Post by darkcancer »

Sony Movie Channel will be showing a couple Godzilla movies in the near future:

Godzilla: Final Wars SUN 9/27 8:30am
Godzilla 2000 MON 9/28 6:20am
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Kaiju Jackalope
Ronin

Post by Kaiju Jackalope »

This is for a drive-in theatre showing, not a TV showing, but I can't find a better thread for this. Starlite Drive-In in Wichita, KS, is showing Godzilla vs. Megalon tonight as part of a triple-feature with King Kong (1976) and Battle Beyond the Stars. It's possible this is happening at other drive-ins around the U.S. as these things tend to be packaged by film distributors. I'm new-ish here and don't know if one is supposed to post links, but it's easy enough to google.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will be showing a few Godzilla movies on SUNDAY Dec 13th:

Godzilla Raids Again - 2:00am
Mothra vs Godzilla - 3:30am
Invasion of Astro-Monster - 5:15am
Last edited by darkcancer on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Challenger007
Ronin

Post by Challenger007 »

Kaiju Jackalope wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:53 am This is for a drive-in theatre showing, not a TV showing, but I can't find a better thread for this. Starlite Drive-In in Wichita, KS, is showing Godzilla vs. Megalon tonight as part of a triple-feature with King Kong (1976) and Battle Beyond the Stars. It's possible this is happening at other drive-ins around the U.S. as these things tend to be packaged by film distributors. I'm new-ish here and don't know if one is supposed to post links, but it's easy enough to google.
In general, films were originally filmed for cinemas, because not every house had a TV, there were few TV channels. Therefore, now, when you watch a movie on TV or from a computer screen, you will not feel that atmosphere.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

CometTV is having a New Years Day Godzilla Marathon, with more then just Showa films.

Fri, Jan 01
10:00 AM Godzilla, King of the Monsters
12:00 PM Invasion of Astro-Monster
2:00 PM Son of Godzilla
4:00 PM Destroy All Monsters
6:00 PM Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
8:00 PM Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
10:00 PM Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla

Sat, Jan 02
12:00 AM Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Looks like January will be Godzilla month on CometTV, with 2 or 3 movies during the weekdays. Pretty much just showing the same movies all month.
Last edited by szmigiel on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

My Titan TV listings lied, that was an all Showa marathon like normal

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will be showing a few Godzilla and Kong movies WEDNESDAY March 31st - THURSDAY April 1st for the release of Godzilla vs Kong:

March 31st
Godzilla, King of the monsters - 8:00pm
King Kong (1933) - 9:30pm
Mothra vs Godzilla - 11:30pm

April 1st
The Son of Kong - 1:15am
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla - 2:45am
Rodan - 4:15am

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Spoiler:
darkcancer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 amApril 1st
The Son of Kong - 1:15am
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla - 2:45am
Rodan - 4:15am
They know what's up.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Monday through Thursday Comet is running the same block of Godzilla movies as it has the last few marathons at 10AM and 12PM EDT

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will be showing a few Godzilla movies on WEDNESDAY March 26th:

Godzilla's Revenge - 6:00am
Invasion of Astro-Monster - 1:45pm

And, not Toho, but the studio who created The X from outer Space -
Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell - 6:30pm

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Comet is running Godzilla movies in July, and for a major change of pace they are going to be Heisei and Millennium films.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Looks like only three on TCM this month:

July 12
2:00 AM Godzilla (The Japanese version is scheduled, but because it's in a 90-minute time slot, it has to be the American version.)
3:30 AM Godzilla Raids Again

July 19
3:00 PM Tokyo Olympiad

Right after Tokyo Olympiad is Visions of Eight, the Munich games documentary which had a segment directed by Kon Ichikawa. Similarly, Toshiro Mifune stars in Grand Prix (1966), which is on July 12 at 4:45 PM.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Comet is showing Tokyo SOS right now - and the thing that gets me is that it's pan-and-scan! That feels like such a relic! I've never seen this movie like this before.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:35 pm Comet is showing Tokyo SOS right now - and the thing that gets me is that it's pan-and-scan! That feels like such a relic! I've never seen this movie like this before.
That reminds me of the first time I ever saw a copy of the AIP version of DAM. I was used to the fully letterboxed versions available from ADV and Toho and as broadcast on SciFi, so it was really jarring--yet somehow falsely nostalgic--to see a version cropped to 1.33.

As I recall, Sony's pan and scan master of SOS played one weekend on MyNetworkTV (<-- fill in your own local station here). This was well after the Sony DVD had been out (and long after I bought it), but it was still long enough ago that it was my first exposure to the dubbed version. My memory is that another Godzilla movie had been cited in the TV listings, so it was a surprise to turn on the TV to find Chujo driving his product placement motorcycle through the Tokyo subway tunnels.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:42 am July 12
2:00 AM Godzilla (The Japanese version is scheduled, but because it's in a 90-minute time slot, it has to be the American version.)
3:30 AM Godzilla Raids Again
TCM's schedule for late night tonight is screwed up (GRA and the film following it are listed at two different times), but YouTube TV has Godzilla starting at 2 and GRA starting at 3:45. That means they'll be showing the Japanese version of Godzilla; KotM wouldn't have made sense in the TCM Imports block anyway.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I only caught a little bit of GMK just now but it was a superior HD transfer (albeit cropped to 16:9) than the Hi-Vision transfer Sony dumped on BD in 2014.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Setsuko Hara is TCM's star of the day for August 19th. Most of the schedule is dedicated to her collaborations with Yasujiro Ozu (they're showing all six), but there are some Toho films:
  • 7:45 AM - No Regrets for Our Youth (1946; D. Kurosawa)
  • 9:45 AM - Repast (1951; D. Mikio Naruse)
  • 11:30 AM - Sound of the Mountain (1954; D. Naruse)
  • 3:45 PM - Early Autumn (1961; D. Ozu) [aka "The End of Summer"]
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Red Sun (1971) will air over-night/tomorrow morning at 4 AM EST on TCM. This is not a Toho film, and while I know films that don't have "Godzilla" in the title aren't super popular here, this does star Toshiro Mifune (and features Tetsu Nakamura), so it might be of interest to someone looking at this thread. It's a Spaghetti Western directed by Terence Young (the best of the 007 directors) and co-stars Mifune with Charles Bronson and Alain Delon, certainly a trifecta of classic movie badasses. Ursula Andress and Anthony Dawson (more Bond alumni) and Capucine are the other familiar faces in the cast.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am Red Sun (1971) will air over-night/tomorrow morning at 4 AM EST on TCM. This is not a Toho film, and while I know films that don't have "Godzilla" in the title aren't super popular here, this does star Toshiro Mifune (and features Tetsu Nakamura), so it might be of interest to someone looking at this thread. It's a Spaghetti Western directed by Terence Young (the best of the 007 directors) and co-stars Mifune with Charles Bronson and Alain Delon, certainly a trifecta of classic movie badasses. Ursula Andress and Anthony Dawson (more Bond alumni) and Capucine are the other familiar faces in the cast.
That actually sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check this film out sometime.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio