Cool Monster, Bad Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cool Monster, Bad Movie

Post by eabaker »

Wow, I completely diagree with you about both Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah; I think they're among the most interesting movies in the series. Even GvsMothra '92 and Megaguirus I find more forgettable and average than actually bad.

While I agree that GFW is bad, I don't find anything interesting about Monster X, either.

My "Cool Monster, Bad Movie" picks would probably be:

Kamoebas - Space Amoeba is a sloppy, boring movie, but the monsters are kind of cool, and Kamoebas in particular is really cool looking and realized in a pretty neat way.

Megalon - On some days I find GvsMegalon entertaining in an awful, campy way, but most days I just find it unwatchably bad. However, Megalon himself is a very cool design, and I would love to see him brought back.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
eabaker wrote:Wow, I completely diagree with you about both Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah; I think they're among the most interesting movies in the series.
There's a reason why I said so bad it's good. Hedorah is one of my favorite movies. See a movie doesn't have to be good to be awesome, it can be bad and still be very enjoyable.
Yeah, I just don't think it's bad at all. Story structure, cinematography, and performances all totally work for me, and the psychedelic elements are icing on the cake. To me, it's really a movie that's so good it's good.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:I guess it's all about how you look at it, it's one G film that does what the others can't and is loved by several (including me) for being so weird and different but if another G film tried to do exactly the same it'd be hated. Basically GvsH is the only Godzilla film that can get away with being GvsH, all other films have to try something other then tripping hippies if they wanna be different.
Very true.

Also, I apologize for causing such a complete thread derailment at such an early stage.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

To help bring it back to the rails..
I'll go with SpaceGodzilla. Horrible movie but Spacegodzilla himself was a pretty cool concept.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I have to disagree on GvH as well LC, I find it to be one of the best in the franchise, but to each his own.

Anyways, onto the list of cool monsters in terrible films.

Varan: He's a simple saurian kaiju that glides around like a flying squirrel, that has him stand out for me in my book.

Megalon: I love the guy and I love Godzilla vs. Megalon, but I do think his debut film could be better and I'd love to see him return in a future film, especially if he's paired with Gigan again.

Jet Jaguar: Almost the same criteria with Megalon. Jet's actually my second favorite character in the franchise. I actually wouldn't mind Jet coming back in a TV show or something along those lines, but it's unlikely.

The Yog Trio: These guys are great, especially Gezora with his goofy lookin' eyes.

Mecha-King Ghidorah: I actually like this guy's film despite the time travel problems. Anyways, I thought it was a neat twist where Ghidorah started as the villain, but then became the hero in the final battle. Not to mention the neato cybernetic head.

Battra (the larva at least): Despite my negative feelings towards Godzilla vs. Mothra, I really, really like Battra, even if he's just a cut of the mill evil counterpart. The larva has to be one of my favorite monster designs of the Heisei era. Not a huge fan of the flying form though.

Death Ghidorah: Yeah, ROM sucks, but I do like Ghidorah's brother-in law. His design is a far cry from the more majestic looking King Ghidorah that we usually know and that fits this guy's character.

Grand King Ghidorah: Great Ghidorah design in a terrible film. He's probably the closest thing we got to the original 1964 incarnation.

Megaguirus: The series doesn't have many insect kaiju, so she stands out a bit. She's got a cool design and I like how they updated the Meganulon from the original Rodan film.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Living Corpse wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:To help bring it back to the rails..
I'll go with SpaceGodzilla. Horrible movie but Spacegodzilla himself was a pretty cool concept.
He did have some really cool powers that no other monster in the series had (love that Corona Beam). His origin needs a little more work though, the first half is cool with them not knowing if it was Mothra dragging skin to space or Biollante dying in space and fusing with crystal aliens lifeforms. But the second half with the black hole, white hole and exploding stars....yeah.....

His design could use work too, it's just Godzilla with crystals. Also his name is really dumb, I know he is Godzilla and he is from space but they don't call Biollante Plantgodzilla because she's part Godzilla part plant, they just gave her a cool name.
Lol yeah, I was gonna mentioned that too. They really need to work on the origin story.

I've made it pretty clear on here that I dislike the heisei series but the monsters that came from that era were some of the coolest in the Godzillaverse.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Varan: I am determined to get my hands on the original (US cut or not) so I can see Varan. He's one of my favorite Kaiju.

Gabara: This motherfucker is my second favorite kaiju. Too bad the movie is one of the weakest in the series.

Hedorah: GvH wasn't terrible, but it didn't stand out as the best of the 70's. The concept is still relevant, and the design in a modern movie would be pretty awesome (something like GFW, but maybe CGI?)

Orga: Awesome concept, cool design, but the movie is low on my list.

I think that's all of them...oh, and Dogora. Get that monster in another movie, pronto!
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

King Caesar wrote:Gabara: This skreeonk is my second favorite kaiju. Too bad the movie is one of the weakest in the series.
Dangnabbit, I forgot him.

Anyways, I really like Gabara. His personality of a cowardly bully makes him really endearing and fun to watch.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I like Megalon and Jet Jaguar, there movie however is not the highest on my list. Funnily enough I would list Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla as one of my favorite Godzilla movies, however I do recognize it's quality would be considered pretty bad, so Spacegodzilla can also be put up as a cool monster (He's one of my favorite monsters in fact) that came from a bad movie for me.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm surprised we made it to page two with no one saying Gigan. Debatable but some people do find it to be a shitty movie with a cool new monster.
I contemplated it, but, seeing as I personally like that movie more than the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, I just couldn't bring myself to include it.

space godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by space godzilla »

Megalon:I think his movie is just about the worst Godzilla film,but Megalon is one of my all time favorite monsters.

Megaguirus:Her movie was pretty bad,but Megaguirus herself is a pretty wicked looking monster.
Against all the evil that Hell can conjure, all the wickedness that mankind can produce, we will send unto them... only you. Rip and tear, until it is done. - King Novik, DOOM Eternal

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Varan, cool monster, bad movie

Destroyah, cool monster, bad movie

Degara or Degarla form ROM2, cool monster, bad movie

Meguma, cool monster, bad movie!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Megaguirus, Gigan, Megalon, Battra, Grand Ghidorah, Death Ghidorah... then again I like pretty much every Godzilla monster anyway.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Battra is a really interesting concept. I'd love to see him return for a new and better movie. I'd prefer to see him survive this one, too; the idea of he and Mothra trying to co-exist and protect Earth in their different ways, locked in constant tension over and with humanity is one I really like. There's a lot of story potential in his character. I'd also like to see a less-annoying Belvera return to serve as his Shobijin equivalent.

Gabara is another cool monster that got saddled with a less-than-stellar movie. I don't outright dislike AMA, for the record, but I can understand why a lot of people do. Anyway, Gabara was its strong point, and filled his role very well. With some tweaking, I can see him potentially returning for another movie. He'd make a good supporting villain or something.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

I thought Varan was a good movie. :(

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Varan was an ok movie, but a fantastic monster

And Jet Jaguar, he had potential

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm surprised we made it to page two with no one saying Gigan. Debatable but some people do find it to be a shitty movie with a cool new monster.
I'll make a case for him. In showing different kaiju to non-fans, he is almost always near the top. I do think he has a pretty kickass design from the get go, but his FW design is great IMHO.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

G vs Gigan isn't that bad a movie, but I agree on Gigan. He has an interesting design.

I'd also say Dagahra. The movie is clearly lacking, but Dagahra was a strong opponent for Mothra.

A giant dragonfly doesn't seem like it would be a worthy foe, but Megaguirus proved it could. She had a mean streak, Fiercness, and speed that kept Godzilla off balance for most of the fight.

Kamoeba is also included. Maybe I just have a soft spot for giant turtles, but I liked this kaiju. The extendo neck was interesting, if not a poor weapon.

Last but not least is JJ. JJ has all the ingredients to suceed as a hero on his own. With a stylish finishing move, he could be another Ultraman.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

SpaceGodzilla

His film is among the worst. Really boring and poor pacing, and unlikable characters. But it did deliver one of the more cool kaiju. Never have I got a sense of such evil, cunning, and pure arrogance than this guy. Pretty unique powers too, and the fact that he's a clone of Godzilla adds.

Mecha King Ghidorah is such an awesome concept, but poorly-used in in my opinion.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

LOL, that little ugly Ass white hair ball creature thing from Rebirth of Mothra 2