Cool Monster, Bad Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Cool Monster, Bad Movie

Post by Tohosaurus »

I really like GvH myself. Anyhow, Megaguirus was a cool monster and semi-interesting idea but the movie was not up to par at all. Mecha-King Ghidorah was a really cool idea and hopefully that monster gets rebooted too. GvKG was just not Biollante-level as a follow up from the story to the effects, etc. Really a shame. Monster X did look kinda cool.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Dr. Johnson
Yojimbo

Post by Dr. Johnson »

Black Moth, Gigan, Megalon, Shokiras, The giant bats (from The Last Days of Planet Earth), Battra, Spacegodzilla.
Well that was easy.
Godzilla has a brain about this size, he's sheer brute force, while Kong... is a thinking animal.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Alexzilla408 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I'm surprised we made it to page two with no one saying Gigan. Debatable but some people do find it to be a shitty movie with a cool new monster.
I'll make a case for him. In showing different kaiju to non-fans, he is almost always near the top. I do think he has a pretty kickass design from the get go, but his FW design is great IMHO.
I think the reason Gigan hasn't been discussed more isn't that people don't think he's a cool monster, it's that (despite the heavy use of stock footage) a lot of us consider it a reasonably good movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

eabaker wrote:Kamoebas - Space Amoeba is a sloppy, boring movie, but the monsters are kind of cool, and Kamoebas in particular is really cool looking and realized in a pretty neat way.
Have to agree with this choice, along with Gezora (in design not so much in execution since the shell looks like it wants to fall off a lot of the time).

Space Amoeba is the very definition of bland, but two of the three monsters were great in terms of design.
eabaker wrote:I think the reason Gigan hasn't been discussed more isn't that people don't think he's a cool monster, it's that (despite the heavy use of stock footage) a lot of us consider it a reasonably good movie.
Have to concur. Godzilla vs. Gigan gets ripped apart by critics who happen to review it (not unfairly either), but the film is leaps and bounds better than Megalon and is generally liked more than disliked by the hardcore fans.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

SpaceGodzilla - what do I even need to say?

Suit-wise, Godzilla 2004. I think it's a fine design that gets some of it's criticism just because of the film it's in.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Gigan has yet to appear in a good movie, but remains a great monster.

Battra is pretty cool, though I haven't seen the film he appears him in around 5 years, soooo.....

''Spacegodzilla'' is the worst film in my opinion, and the monster himself doesn't really do it for me either. MOGEURA falls very flat as well.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote: ''Spacegodzilla'' is the worst film in my opinion, and the monster himself doesn't really do it for me either. MOGEURA falls very flat as well.
Yeah, a lot of people rush to call Spacegodzilla a great monster, and I just don't see it. To me, it exemplifies the Kawakita-era approach of just sticking spikes/lumps/assorted protrusions on a thing as a design concept, and I don't find that very interesting.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

MOGUERA is definitely worth a mention. I wouldn't say no to seeing him return someday.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I've......never even liked MOGUERA. He looks more like a half-rate video game character to me. I'll take the Showa one anyday. He's still cheesy, but at least has charm.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I've......never even liked MOGUERA. He looks more like a half-rate video game character to me. I'll take the Showa one anyday. He's still cheesy, but at least has charm.
Yeah, Showa Mogera (sorry, this is a case where I refuse to conform to Toho's nonsense "official" romanization) has a classic pulp sci-fi look that makes him really unique among Toho kaiju. While he's not one of my very most favoritest of all kaiju, he's a pretty solid thrid-tier choice, whereas the G-Force version is more of a forgettable also-ran.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

eabaker wrote: Yeah, Showa Mogera (sorry, this is a case where I refuse to conform to Toho's nonsense "official" romanization) has a classic pulp sci-fi look that makes him really unique among Toho kaiju. While he's not one of my very most favoritest of all kaiju, he's a pretty solid thrid-tier choice, whereas the G-Force version is more of a forgettable also-ran.
I completley agree. The Showa Mogera may look like a freezer with an antenna, but I'll take that over the rejected Ratchet and Clank character anyday.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Dagarah all the way!

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Anguirus 55
Gigan 72
Megaguirus
Irys
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Destroyer wrote:SpaceGodzilla

His film is among the worst. Really boring and poor pacing, and unlikable characters. But it did deliver one of the more cool kaiju. Never have I got a sense of such evil, cunning, and pure arrogance than this guy. Pretty unique powers too, and the fact that he's a clone of Godzilla adds.

Mecha King Ghidorah is such an awesome concept, but poorly-used in in my opinion.
I concour. Both AWESOME monster spin-offs of the originals, BAD movies!

:evil:
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lain Of The Wired wrote: Meguma, cool monster, bad movie!
Nope.

Varan, SpaceGodzilla, Death Ghidorah, Grand King Ghidorah, Megaguirus, and Monster X(I). That is all.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Goji wrote: Varan, SpaceGodzilla, Death Ghidorah, Grand King Ghidorah, Megaguirus, and Monster X(I). That is all.
Oh God! How did I forget him?!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

tymon wrote:Irys
Gah? I can understand someone not caring for Gamera 3, but do you really think it's a bad film?

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Arbok wrote:
tymon wrote:Irys
Gah? I can understand someone not caring for Gamera 3, but do you really think it's a bad film?
It's pretty... average, at best.

Irys was cool, but WEAK!

:twisted:
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Red-Death Gigan wrote:Irys was cool, but WEAK!

:twisted:
A monster being strong or weak shouldn't impact how good a movie is.

Anyway, Iris is similar to the other Gamera Heisei monsters: good offense, bad defense

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Arbok wrote:
A monster being strong or weak shouldn't impact how good a movie is.
GINO would like a word with you. And speaking of, he absolutely counts as a decently cool monster that got a bad movie. If not for the name, I bet he'd be pretty popular.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio