Cool Monster, Bad Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Baranguirus
Yojimbo

Re: Cool Monster, Bad Movie

Post by Baranguirus »

I have a few:
- Hedorah is an incredible monster, the concept itself is ingenious! The movie, though, is kind of a slog to get through.
- Gigan is one of my favorite Kaiju, even in his Showa appearance. I find Godzilla vs Gigan ungodly boring; even the fight scene, for the most part, I find that it moves at a snail's pace.
- Megalon is a great monster design, and Jet Jaguar is a guilty pleasure, he just makes me happy. While I prefer Godzilla vs Megalon to the previous film, it's still far from a good movie.
- Battra; an evil Mothra? Go for it! The movie is pretty blah, though.
- Spacegodzilla is easily one of my favorite monsters of all time. His movie, though... eeh, I don't dislike it entirely, but yeah, it's prolly the worst in the Heisei series.
- Desghidorah, Dagahra, Grand King Ghidorah and Mothra Leo (all forms) are all amazing monsters! Too bad the Mothra triology is pretty much the Mothra equivalent to the Showa Gamera movies.
Last edited by Baranguirus on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
More rubber suits, less CGI

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Most Heisei flicks fit the bill.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Jet Jaguar.

My 4th favorite Godzilla kaiju/mecha/character of all time for many reasons…but Godzilla vs Megalon is actual garbage.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Battra. He is an awesome monster, but the movie he first appeared in is trash. One of my least favorite films in the franchise.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:05 pm Jet Jaguar.

My 4th favorite Godzilla kaiju/mecha/character of all time for many reasons…but Godzilla vs Megalon is actual garbage.
In all honesty, I think part of what makes Jet Jaguar appealing is because the movie is garbage.

Anyway...

My top vote goes to Megaguirus. She's one of my top ten favorite Godzilla kaiju (probably at #8 or #9). I adore insects and arachnids, and I think she's the coolest such monster in the series. But man, is her movie underwhelming...

Second place is Gigan, without a doubt. Gigan isn't one of my personal favorites, but he's still cool. It's a shame his three films are some of the worst in the series, though – but at least they're fun films with the right mindset.

Third place goes to Gorosaurus. I love the guy, but King Kong Escapes is one of my least favorite Showa films. Destroy All Monsters is better in that I at least give that movie a positive rating of 6/10, but even then it's a step below most of the previous Showa entries.

Fourth place: Destoroyah, my favorite monster! I like his movie better than most people here (it scores a 6/10 like Destroy All Monsters does); and it's the third best Heisei movie in my eyes, but... the competition isn't exactly fierce. And his movie is still heavily flawed.

Fifth place: Mecha-King-Ghidorah. Such a cool concept trapped in the confines of such an awfully written movie...

Honorable Mentions: Anguirus, Megalon, Jet Jaguar, Battra, KotM Ghidorah, KotM Rodan
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

SpaceGodzilla and Megaguirus. They’re both really cool monsters, comics and video games make them awesome, but their movies are, respectively, burning garbage and a snooze fest.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Godzilla - all sequels ;-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Be prepared for the torches and pitchforks.

On topic, SG is an interesting and powerful kaiju, but the film itself is not very good. It's the G film I watch the least. The other one is Dagahra. Dagahra has a good design, is a strong foe, and was the only original enemy for Mothra. ROM2, though, is the worst of the trilogy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I can certainly make a huge list for this. Zilla is an cool and neat design for an original kaiju but just a horrible Godzilla design. Gabara is a unique monster with a very Japanese flair that is just not seen anywhere else. Megalon and Gigan both are in lackluster entries but are steller kaiu in their own right. Gigan needs no explanation and as for Megalon, well, where else are you going to find a weird bug monster with drills for hands, grenades, and beams that can go underground? All of the Rebirth of Mothra enemy kaiju. I understand these have a cult following but they are not for me. That said both Ghidorahs are unique, interesting, and just look plain evil. Not to mention Dagahra is a pretty awesome original monster. Speaking of Mothra, how about Battra? His movie is easily the weakest in the Heisei series for me but Battra stands out to me as a cool anti-Mothra of sorts. Megaguirus is pretty awesome. The movie she was in was bad but I already love the Meganulon so giving a super Meganulon Queen some Godzilla energy was just icing on the cake! A very sinister looking and sounding bug kaiju. I definitely have more but this is all I have just off the top of my head.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Monster X, but not Keizer Ghidorah. All my homies hate Keizer Ghidorah.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, Megaguirus, Scylla, Barbed MUTO, Mecha King Ghidorah, Mothra Leo, Dagahra, Desghidorah, Servum.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Megaguirus. Not since the show era had we seen a kaiju with such personality. And shes based on obscure tiny monster from Rodans film often forgotten about yet she brings the plot of man vs godzilla to a stop as if saying " how dare you forget us! How dare you not pay attention to me!"
Sadly the human plot and special effects failutes lead many to not think about her much.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Gorosaurus. He’s cool, but KKE and DAM are painfully boring.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Megalon. He’s so badass.
For Emperor and Empire!

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

godzilla in godzilla (but which one?)

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 am LOL, that little ugly Ass white hair ball creature thing from Rebirth of Mothra 2
That's a bad monster in a bad movie.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gojira1604 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 pm
Lain Of The Wired wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 am LOL, that little ugly Ass white hair ball creature thing from Rebirth of Mothra 2
That's a bad monster in a bad movie.
I reflexively want to counter this with something, but I can't imagine what that would be. I guess... well, Ghogho was unique. That's not automatically a good thing, though...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Megalon is the personification of this. He's a really cool monster with a unique design, but he's forever cursed to be "that one monster from that one bad Godzilla movie"
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I kinda love Megalon. Really like the combined aesthetic between him and Gigan. Would love to see those two team up in a movie again.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Battra from GVM ’92.