Cringeworthy/Awkward Moments that Nobody Seems to Talk About

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Re: Cringeworthy/Awkward Moments that Nobody Seems to Talk A

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Black Lion wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote:
Come on, guy. A 100 meter tall radioactive dinosaur breathing nuclear fire fighting giant bug monsters from another dimension that came through a man-made black hole gun in outer space, but a body slam is over the line? That's just too much for your suspension of disbelief to handle? :P That's the body slam that broke the camel's back?
[/quote]

Why stop there? Why not have Godzilla pick up an entire train and use it to jump rope over to train for his fights? Why don't we use CGI to have Godzilla run faster than the speed of sound? Let's have Godzilla dodge his enemies attacks by flipping and doing cartwheels over them? Let's have Godzilla run up skyscrapers! There's absolutely no reason for Godzilla to be able to suddenly jump like four times his own height to do a body drop.

And that's not even the way I meant. I meant more in the sense of how fake it looked. So lifeless. It's not a suspension of disbelief, that's the nature of the Toho universe, but it's trying to do too much and with very little care.

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

GodzillaSpawn wrote: And that's not even the way I meant. I meant more in the sense of how fake it looked. So lifeless. It's not a suspension of disbelief, that's the nature of the Toho universe, but it's trying to do too much and with very little care.
Well like I said, the whole movie looked to be trying too much without any care. At least that particular moment was entertaining.
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Black Lion wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote: And that's not even the way I meant. I meant more in the sense of how fake it looked. So lifeless. It's not a suspension of disbelief, that's the nature of the Toho universe, but it's trying to do too much and with very little care.
Well like I said, the whole movie looked to be trying too much without any care. At least that particular moment was entertaining.
I'm with you there. That's actually kind of how I feel about most of the millennium series.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

GodzillaSpawn wrote: Why not have Godzilla pick up an entire train and use it to jump rope over to train for his fights?
I would pay to see that happen.
What Emi said about the Dorats in Gvs.KG.
"No matter what happens, they always make you happy." Or something along those lines.
Yes you can be dying from a gun shot, but at least you'll happy.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

I'm too lazy right now to do research, but I think the jump in GxM was a reference to the actor who played Godzilla in that movie, I think he was a wrestler or something.

I would have prefered if, after Megaguirus surprised look, they would have cut to Godzilla being way closer to the camera. It could be done, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

three words

Yuki. Shower. Scene

:freak:

vs Megalon had some groaner moments

"Gigantis" had some seriously bad dubbing/new scenes

most other "cringe worthy" moments are a product of the time they were made, and most that still are have already been listed
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Cringeworthy/Awkward Moments that Nobody Seems to Talk About

Post by Gojira1604 »

GVsM2's Pteranodon enthusiast asking, "If one day do you think dinosaurs will again rule the world?" Then someone responds to him like, "Maybe, after we're long gone". Feels so strange, litterally about 3 dinosaur-esque creatures had appeared so far. They're freak, last remnants of extinct species. I suppose it'd make more sense if he asked if monsters would one day take over. Introspective failure.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

A lot of the seemingly forced humour in King of the Monsters doesn't stick with me. The Ghidorah/Gonorrhoea line sticks out.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:05 pm A lot of the seemingly forced humour in King of the Monsters doesn't stick with me. The Ghidorah/Gonorrhoea line sticks out.
I don't hate the human cast of KOTM like most people seem too and alot of the humor works for me but I HATE that awful gonorrhoea line. Not only is it insulting to Ghidorah, but its just not funny. Those two words don't even sound similar.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:05 pm A lot of the seemingly forced humour in King of the Monsters doesn't stick with me. The Ghidorah/Gonorrhoea line sticks out.
Agree that joke was just bad

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Agreed, but that's certainly not a moment "nobody seems to talk about." The humor in KotM generated a lot of discussion and criticism when the film came out and, as far as I know, still does.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

With the Showa Gamera I see no one talks about the main characters, Especially if they’re kids
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed May 12, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:00 am With the Showa Gamera I see no one talks about the main characters, Especially if they’re kids
Wait, really? The child characters have always been one of the western Godzilla fandom's biggest complaint about those movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've heard several complaints about the kids after vs. Gyaos.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:09 pm I've heard several complaints about the kids after vs. Gyaos.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, My apologies if they do, I don’t really check up on the Gamera Forums So I assume they ignore the characters part but guess I was wrong, sorry

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

That comedic "duo" in Gamera vs. Gyaos' train subplot who are so consistently unfunny that I almost was begging to go back to the cringe child actors of the Showa Gamera's worst films.