Do Godzilla films need be realistic to be good

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Do Godzilla films need be realistic to be good

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Ever since Jurassic World Trilogy have came out people have been complaining that the dinosaurs aren’t realistic enough so I wonder do people have the same complaint with Godzilla films. I know there aren’t really as much but I don’t know but out of Sheer curiosity should any Kaiju film from now on be as realistic as possible to be good?

This includes how people design the monster as well
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Do Godzilla films need be realistic to be good

Post by Legion1979 »

Absolutely not.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:55 pm Absolutely not.
Why? I’m sorry if this seems like a dick question but I am just curious on what your reasonings are.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Realism is not a prerequisite for quality in any medium. Film lends itself to a variety of aesthetic modes.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

eabaker wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:31 pm Realism is not a prerequisite for quality in any medium. Film lends itself to a variety of aesthetic modes.
I I don’t know man people from the jurassic Park community are saying the movies are like crap because the dinosaurs aren’t scientifically accurate enough.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:34 pm
eabaker wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:31 pm Realism is not a prerequisite for quality in any medium. Film lends itself to a variety of aesthetic modes.
I I don’t know man people from the jurassic Park community are saying the movies are like crap because the dinosaurs aren’t scientifically accurate enough.
Jurassic Park is derived from a source novel that presented itself as relatively plausible science fiction, its story and themes are directly related to issues of real-world scientific study, and a big part of the narrative has to do with the literal in0universe recreation of dinosaurs.

Godzilla is not supposed to be a dinosaur, but a monster motivated originally by a metaphor for the horrors of nuclear war. Apples and oranges. Two completely different modes of storytelling, with different narrative demands.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The Jurassic Park films have tried from day 1 to present the dinosaurs as realistically as possible. I personally couldn't give a flying fuck if the dinosaurs are "scientifically accurate" but regardless every attempt in those movies was made to made those dinosaurs look plausibly realistic in the world of the films.

Godzilla was a man in a rubber costume for the first half century of his existance. These movies contain all sorts of ridiculous, implausible monsters, insane pseudo science and things like aliens, space monsters, giant robots and superweapons. And none of that was ever presented as being realistic. The pseudo reality is the main reason these movies work and why (to me) the Monsterverse feels so soulless.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

eabaker wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:54 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:34 pm
Jurassic Park is derived from a source novel that presented itself as relatively plausible science fiction, its story and themes are directly related to issues of real-world scientific study, and a big part of the narrative has to do with the literal in0universe recreation of dinosaurs.

Godzilla is not supposed to be a dinosaur, but a monster motivated originally by a metaphor for the horrors of nuclear war. Apples and oranges. Two completely different modes of storytelling, with different narrative demands.
That’s understandable I personally don’t really care about realism in a movie and based on how entertainment, but I was curious on why people were complaining about jurassic world and their realism

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Literally NOTHING has to be realistic to be good. It depends if you apply it in a way that serves the story.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed. I've seen absurd science and technology in films, but they matched the style and/or themes of the movie or were important parts of the narrative. Godzilla doesn't need to be realistic to tell an exciting or compelling story.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Marciosss
Yojimbo

Post by Marciosss »

Offten people Saint realistyczne, think reliable. Realistic are things that we know exist, reliable is when we could accept it existence in medium depending of given Information.
For example, Muto isn't realistic, but thanks to expression in movie is reliable. On other hand Hollow Earth concept isn't realistic, and isn't reliable. Because every movie contradicts each other in this case. From tunnels in Earth crust, we going to weird portals...

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Kaiju is one of the top genres that lives outside the realm of realism. Cubed law. Once you introduce creatures that size they should be vibrating themselves to death when they take a single step and crushing their own internal organs under sheer weight.

People still enjoy Star Wars despite sound in space and other issues.

Storytelling should be the forefront concern for creating engaging entertainment. A little touch of something perceivable as realism helps to sell the illusion but beyond that, it doesn't matter. Even with something that boasts high realism like in camera stunts or props, once something is edited from multiple sources of footage it's never real anyway. Even actor performances are completely altered from the real performance caught in camera when it's edited.

Jurassic Park was a step forward in 1993 as to how dinosaurs were presented with special effects, so the public perception is that it had realism. When the newer movies didn't keep up with that perception people didn't like it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

No, look at the Showa films.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:11 am No, look at the Showa films.
Mic-drop. 8-)
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yes, because time travel, crystalline space monsters, artificial black holes, absolute zero cannons and...pretty much all of Final Wars is realistic?

Let's not make this an "era" thing, kids.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

The Monsterverse movies aren't even "realistic". By the third movie they went full Heisei, with the attack teams, space aliens, and lost civilizations.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Absolutely not. Some of the best are the furthest thing from realistic, and include things like ESP, ghosts and spirits, crazy advanced technology, etc. The sheer fact that Kaiju even exist in these films throws realism out the window. You can make a Kaiju flick grounded in reality, but they'll never be realistic.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:34 am Yes, because time travel, crystalline space monsters, artificial black holes, absolute zero cannons and...pretty much all of Final Wars is realistic?

Let's not make this an "era" thing, kids.
As someone wise once said...
A wise gentlemen wrote:You can say "I like pancakes" and somebody will say "So you hate waffles?"

No b, dats a whole different sentence. Wtf is you talking about.
No one made it an era thing -_-
Last edited by Voyager on Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Realistic itself is also a very loaded and muddied term. Movies like Shin Godzilla and Godzilla 2014 are very "realistic" and grounded in reality if you ignore the titular monsters. Both portray legitimate concerns about engaging monsters from a military viewpoint, and also provide insight into how various agencies might act. That contrasts to the "realism" of the heisei or millenium series, where Japan just has an exponential military budget to construct super weapons.

Of course realism doesn't equate to quality.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^How the world if affected by kaiju attacks is where the realism within the genre lies, not the kaiju themselves.