Official "Toho-On-TV" Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official "Toho-On-TV" Thread

Post by Terasawa »

Someone at TCM has evidently been reading Wikipedia's entry for the Japanese New Wave, as that provides the prime time/overnight theme for October 26.

One of these is a Toho-distributed film, The Face of Another, and of all the films being shown that night, this is the one that would appeal most to Godzilla fans. Criterion writes, "A staggering work of existential science fiction, The Face of Another dissects identity with the sure hand of a surgeon. Okuyama (Yojimbo's Tatsuya Nakadai), after being burned and disfigured in an industrial accident and estranged from his family and friends, agrees to his psychiatrist's radical experiment: a face transplant, created from the mold of a stranger. As Okuyama is thus further alienated from the world around him, he finds himself giving in to his darker temptations. With unforgettable imagery, Teshigahara's film explores both the limits and freedom in acquiring a new persona, and questions the notion of individuality itself."

Full night's schedule:

8:00 Crazed Fruit (1956)
9:45 One Way Ticket to Love (1960)
11:15 The Weird Lovemakers (1960) -- This is how it's scheduled, but it's more familiarly known as The Warped Ones. "Lovemakers" is the title of the dubbed version released on the sexploitation circuit.
12:45 The Sun's Burial (1960)
2:30 The Insect Woman (1963)
4:45 The Face of Another (1966)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Starting Wednesday 11/3 early in the AM till the end of Thursday 11/4 Shout Factory TV is running All the Godzilla Showa films, minus KKVG, plus Rodan and WoTG. This is the Shout Factory TV Channel not the Pluto TV version. I have it as part of my Sling TV package, I'm guessing it is also running on other streaming TV bundles and some cable packages.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

They are also now available for streaming any time at www.shoutfactorytv.com.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Here's the trailer from the TokuSHOUTsu YouTube page:

Here are links to all of the streamable films on the Shout Factory TV website. All of the Japanese versions are available with English subtitles, along with Godzilla, King of the Monsters! and all of the international English dubs that were included on Criterion's 2019 BRD set, while both cuts of King Kong vs. Godzilla are absent. They all open with the Janus Films logo.
The website Nerdist has an article about it too:
TokuSHOUTsu to Host Friday Night GODZILLA Marathons
Godzilla vs. TokuSHOUTsu: Friday Night Kaiju Lineup

11/5/21
Godzilla, The Uncut Japanese Original (Gojira) (1954)
Rodan (1956)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (1964)

11/12/21
The War Of Gargantuas (1966)
Invasion Of Astro-Monster (1965)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

11/19/21
Ebirah, Horror Of The Deep (1966)
Son Of Godzilla (1967)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
All Monsters Attack (1969)

11/26/21
Godzilla, King of The Monsters! (1956)
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
Terror Of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Don’t worry if you can’t make the marathons (hey, everybody has their own schedules, right?). All 17 of the movies are also available on-demand to watch any time you want via ShoutFactoryTV.com or on the Shout Factory apps. Do you mostly watch stuff on Tubi? Well you can find them there too.

Interestingly, what Tubi now has available to stream is somewhat different.....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

King Kong vs. Godzilla (rerun) on Svengoolie, Nov. 20 on MeTV.

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:22 pm Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) - international English-dubbed version

To clarify (or maybe muddy the waters), although Criterion apparently refers to this as Toho's "international version," it's actually the U.S.-dubbed audio edited to fit the full-length Japanese version. The Japanese dialogue that was not dubbed to English in 1966 remains here undubbed; those few scenes were originally cut from the American release (and all its subsequent versions). One line of Nick Adams' dialogue that went unused in the American release was restored here (because in the Japanese release his entire performance was dubbed).

Toho might have had a more traditional export version dubbed in English in the '60s, but if it existed, it's never surfaced anywhere (at least not that anyone can ascertain in 2021). Since the early 1980s, at least, Toho has offered this version for export to distributors overseas.

But essentially it's the U.S. version conformed long-after-the-fact to the original Japanese cut.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I just found out by turning it on, otherwise I would have said it earlier, but Svengoolie on MeTV is playing the American version of King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Edit: Sorry, I didn’t see the above post!
Last edited by KingCornetto on Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Comet is doing Janus Showa Godzilla films For New Years Eve and New Years day.

Eastern Time Zone
Fri, Dec 31 11:00 AM Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Movie, 1956, TV-PG, NR, ***)
Fri, Dec 31 1:00 PM Invasion of Astro-Monster (Movie, 1965, TV-PG, G, **+)
Fri, Dec 31 3:00 PM Son of Godzilla (Movie, 1967, TV-PG, NR, *+)
Fri, Dec 31 5:00 PM Destroy All Monsters (Movie, 1968, TV-PG, G, ***)
Fri, Dec 31 7:00 PM Godzilla vs. Megalon (Movie, 1973, TV-PG, NR, **)
Fri, Dec 31 9:00 PM Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Movie, 1974, TV-PG, G, **+)
Fri, Dec 31 11:00 PM Terror of MechaGodzilla (Movie, 1975, TV-PG, G, **+)
Sat, Jan 01 1:00 PM Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Movie, 1956, TV-PG, NR, ***)
Sat, Jan 01 3:00 PM Invasion of Astro-Monster (Movie, 1965, TV-PG, G, **+)
Sat, Jan 01 5:00 PM Son of Godzilla (Movie, 1967, TV-PG, NR, *+)
Sat, Jan 01 7:00 PM Destroy All Monsters (Movie, 1968, TV-PG, G, ***)
Sat, Jan 01 9:00 PM Godzilla vs. Megalon (Movie, 1973, TV-PG, NR, **)
Sat, Jan 01 11:00 PM Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Movie, 1974, TV-PG, G, **+)
Sun, Jan 02 1:00 AM Terror of MechaGodzilla (Movie, 1975, TV-PG, G, **+)

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Starting Monday Jan 24th through Friday Jan 28th Comet will play 3 Godzilla movies during their morning and afternoon movie slots. Times are for EST

Mon, Jan 24 9:00 AM Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Movie, 1956, TV-PG, NR, ***)
Mon, Jan 24 11:00 AM Invasion of Astro-Monster. (Movie, 1965, TV-PG, G, **+)
Mon, Jan 24 1:00 PM Son of Godzilla. (Movie, 1967, TV-PG, NR, *+)
Tue, Jan 25 9:00 AM Destroy All Monsters. (Movie, 1968, TV-PG, G, ***)
Tue, Jan 25 11:00 AM Godzilla vs. Megalon. (Movie, 1973, TV-PG, NR, **)
Tue, Jan 25 1:00 PM Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. (Movie, 1974, TV-PG, G, **+)
Wed, Jan 26 9:00 AM Terror of MechaGodzilla. (Movie, 1975, TV-PG, G, **+)
Wed, Jan 26 1:00 PM Godzilla, King of the Monsters. (Movie, 1956, TV-PG, NR, ***)
Thu, Jan 27 9:00 AM Invasion of Astro-Monster (Movie, 1965, TV-PG, G, **+)
Thu, Jan 27 11:00 AM Son of Godzilla. (Movie, 1967, TV-PG, NR, *+)
Thu, Jan 27 1:00 PM Destroy All Monsters. (Movie, 1968, TV-PG, G, ***)
Fri, Jan 28 9:00 AM Godzilla vs. Megalon. (Movie, 1973, TV-PG, NR, **)
Fri, Jan 28 11:00 AM Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Movie, 1974, TV-PG, G, **+)
Fri, Jan 28 1:00 PM Terror of MechaGodzilla (Movie, 1975, TV-PG, G, **+)

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Guess they're back to only showing the dubbed ones.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

TCM launches its annual Summer Under the Stars tomorrow: Toshiro Mifune is the August 19th star, with all but three of the movies programmed being Toho releases:

8 AM Throne of Blood (1957)
10 AM Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (1954)
12 PM Samurai II: Duel at Ichioji Temple (1955)
2 PM Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island (1956)
4 PM Yojimbo (1961)
9:45 PM Seven Samurai (1954)
1:30 AM High and Low (1963)
4 AM I Live in Fear (1955)

The three non-Toho films are Scandal (1950; 6 AM), Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo (1970; 6 PM), and Rashomon (1950; 8 PM).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I’m not sure if there’s a thread for local screenings, but the Music Box Theater In Chicago is playing Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare on the 23rd of October. (Not a Toho movie, but Showa era Tokusatsu, so related.)

https://musicboxtheatre.com/films-and-e ... ok-warfare

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Criterion Channel is having a 17 film Ishiro Honda retrospective in October.

https://thefilmstage.com/the-criterion- ... iang-more/
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I cant find a list of all 17 films. Where can I find it?

From the partial list of films I see, it looks like they're showing most (if not all?) of the movies Media Blasters had licensed in the mid 2000s.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't think they've all been announced yet.

Added in 24 minutes 37 seconds:
Well they already have Gojira/King of the Monsters, Godzilla's Revenge, Ghidrah, Destroy All Monsters, Monster Zero, Mothra vs Godzilla, Rodan, Terror of Mechagodzilla, and War of the Gargantuas. If you count Gojira and King of the Monsters as two separate titles that totals 17 with the new ones announced in that article.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If they're licensing all the movies that Media Blasters had, I really hope another set of all Honda's other Toho sci fi films shows up sooner or later. They would just need to talk to Sony and Universal for their films, but that's certainly doable. And the cherry on top would be if, at the very least, they license Gorath from Toho.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just looked, and everything that MB once had is there except for Latitude Zero.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:55 amAnd the cherry on top would be if, at the very least, they license Gorath from Toho.
Once more, The Human Vapor gets the shaft. It'd be especially fitting too, as aside from it being a legitimately excellent film, it would fit with the vague Halloween-theme.

These additions are obviously good news for those who have not seen the movies and exposing new viewers to them. It's certainly possible Matango, Atragon, Dogora and Space Amoeba will include the international dubs as an option, but the remaining films are almost certainly cursed with being Japanese only.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The only reason I didn't mention Vapor is that the MB films, the three Sony films, KKE, Gorath and the two other films Criterion has always had bring the film total to 15, the same amount as the Godzilla set.

Rodan
The Mysterians
Varan, the Unbelievable
The H-Man
Battle in Outer Space
Mothra
Gorath
Matango
Atragon
Dogora the Space Monster
Frankenstein Conquers the World
War of the Gargantuas
King Kong Escapes
Latitude Zero
Space Amoeba

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! The best evidence yet that they're shoring up the entire Toho genre library! I say let 'em do it: we know how weird and difficult Toho is to deal with, and Criterion's longstanding relationship with them makes them best suited to the process which woukd likely break a smaller/newer distributor.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:41 am The only reason I didn't mention Vapor is that the MB films, the three Sony films, KKE, Gorath and the two other films Criterion has always had bring the film total to 15, the same amount as the Godzilla set.

Rodan
The Mysterians
Varan, the Unbelievable
The H-Man
Battle in Outer Space
Mothra
Gorath
Matango
Atragon
Dogora the Space Monster
Frankenstein Conquers the World
War of the Gargantuas
King Kong Escapes
Latitude Zero
Space Amoeba
This would be incredible. I would dream in a prefect world that we got the Human Vapor and Half-Human in this set as well. Maybe even get Mirrorman short film as a bonus feature. I would love for them to get Zone Fighter down the road too but I know all those are more likely than Half-Human.