Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:33 pm I wish Heisei MG had the ability to fight H2H, but I can't lie, its grown on me over the years. I feel like compared to the other Heisei revisions of the Big 5, its probably the one that gives off the most vibes of its era. A giant mecha who gets another machine stapled onto its back and then going by the title of Super Mechagodzilla is the most 90's thing ever. :lol:
Same here, sometimes seeing a character that became the embodiment of the 90s isn't so bad :mechagodzilla1993: :mechagodzilla1993: :lol: :P And that's not just the #1 MG fan side of me speaking, I've started to appreciate Heisei MG a lot more. Like we can say Mechagodzilla's the only guy who nearly killed Godzilla without lifting a finger hahahhahaha
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:09 pm Another MG based opinion...

Every single year I like Kiryu slightly less. It's not bad by any means, and I love the design, but in comparison to Showa and oddly enough, Heisei, I don't like it as much.
I respect that, we all got our favorite looks. For me, my favorite has always been Kiryu over the others, but I’ve grown to appreciate tank MG from Heisei over time.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

75 is still on top though, by a mile.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:26 pm 75 is still on top though, by a mile.
You're god damn right. 8-)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I like the idea of MG93 being a mobile missile platform/tank, though from memory I feel like Moguera executed that concept better, though I haven't seen either movies in a while.

I really REALLY like Heisei Moguera.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:26 pm 75 is still on top though, by a mile.
I seriously hope you don't think this is an unpopular opinion lol

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Isn't it, though? '74 Mechagodzilla was the unstoppable juggernaut that was double teamed and still kicked ass. '75 admittedly did a very cool number on Tokyo, but didn't deliver nearly as impressively in the battle. I was under the impression that was the standard take.

Heisei Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah are the incarnations I was best acquainted with as a kid, through Trendmasters toys and Pipeworks games, so they became the default designs in my mind.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:24 pm Heisei Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah are the incarnations I was best acquainted with as a kid, through Trendmasters toys and Pipeworks games, so they became the default designs in my mind.
Same here. Kind of weird with the latter, considering his origin story was a massive departure from his original counterpart. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:24 pm Isn't it, though? '74 Mechagodzilla was the unstoppable juggernaut that was double teamed and still kicked ass. '75 admittedly did a very cool number on Tokyo, but didn't deliver nearly as impressively in the battle. I was under the impression that was the standard take.

Heisei Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah are the incarnations I was best acquainted with as a kid, through Trendmasters toys and Pipeworks games, so they became the default designs in my mind.
Oh the year. I just lump 74/75 together cause beyond a new model number they are the same character. Just one has more to do because 75 plays more support to Titanosaurus.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The fact that it takes two opponents to beat '74 doesn't say much since one of those opponents barely contributes.

And '75 has been rebuilt with lessons learned from where '74 went wrong, including being able to survive having its head ripped off. If Katsura hasn't committed suicide, I think we're meant to believe Godzilla would have been killed.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:28 pm The fact that it takes two opponents to beat '74 doesn't say much since one of those opponents barely contributes.

And '75 has been rebuilt with lessons learned from where '74 went wrong, including being able to survive having its head ripped off. If Katsura hasn't committed suicide, I think we're meant to believe Godzilla would have been killed.
Killed I'm not so sure of. Godzilla in TOMG seems to have improved himself more than MechaGodzilla could be upgraded. Had Katsura not died I think the fight could have gone either way personally. The narrative does go out its way to say the Black hole aliens want either Titanosaurs to fight Godzilla first or they fight together against Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

eabaker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:28 pm The fact that it takes two opponents to beat '74 doesn't say much since one of those opponents barely contributes.

I agree. In terms of what the movie intends, '75 is definitely the stronger version. But in terms of what the special effects crew actually put on screen, '74 just comes across as the deadlier, more impressive fighter.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 pm

I agree. In terms of what the movie intends, '75 is definitely the stronger version. But in terms of what the special effects crew actually put on screen, '74 just comes across as the deadlier, more impressive fighter.
And I guess I'd put that down to tonal and stylistic differences between the two movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 pm

Im not sure about that. Those revolving missles were pretty hardcore. Those things blew up an entire city block from the inside out, and when fired into Godzillas stomach caused what was clearly an internal explosion, judging by the smoke coming out of his mouth. MG's eye beams were blowing up whole sections of Tokyo in seconds and even when the robot's head was taken off, the beam emitted from its electronic brain knocked Godzilla on his ass in one hit.

Sure the first MG had Godzilla writing on the ground covered in blood after numerous beam attacks, but MGII just seemed far deadlier and powerful to me.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I wasn't arguing power levels when I made my initial comment but since this is what the topic is now lol

Again I see Mechagodzilla 74 & 75 as the same character just one got a few upgrades (Second head most notable). However if we do compare the two models I just think 74 got more chances to flex on its own and showed off more features that 75 just didn't use at all. From the energy barrier, to its deadly chest laser and rotating head which allowed it to fight two enemies from opposite sides at the same time. Also the fact it could fight in close quarters. It just felt more like an overwhleming force who Godzilla with aid barley managed to beat (Were it not for a sudden and questionable development of magnet powers).

With Mechagodzilla 75 its role was more support to Titanosaurus during fights which left it mainly spamming its eye laser and finger missiles, which while the latter got a nice upgrade it just felt more like its role became "Stand and shoot" while Titanosaurus handled all the heavy work and got to shine more. Making it feel less impressive than it had been before. I never got the sense that Mechagodzilla was only gonna lose that fight when Katsura killed herself, as once it lost its first head it was basically a 50/50 situation with Mechagodzilla on its last legs. I did get the sense Titanosaurus & Mechagodzilla were easily gonna kill Godzilla had the humans not taken Titanosaurus out of the equation again showing its value.

As I type this I realize Titanosaurus got the love King Caesar should've in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla lol
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

MG2 was completely helpless in close combat though. When engaged, he literally flailed his arms around and shrieked impotently. At least MG74 was able to fight back in close combat and even overpower an enemy through melee. MG2 overspeced in ranged combat while forgoing any melee prowess. MG74 seemed to be a better balance of both.
Last edited by Breakdown on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Breakdown wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:23 am MG2 was completely helpless in close combat though. When engaged, he literally flailed his arms around and shrieked impotently. At least MG74 was able to fight back in close combat and even overpower an enemy through melee. MG2 overspeced in ranged combat while forgoing any melee prowess. MG74 seemed to be a better balance of both.
To be fair, King Ceasar was a bit of a wuss and Godzilla couldn't even get close to MG for the entire battle. But once he did the fight ended quickly. In the second film, even when Godzilla finally got close and tore the robot's head off, it still kept going.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:39 am
Breakdown wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:23 am MG2 was completely helpless in close combat though. When engaged, he literally flailed his arms around and shrieked impotently. At least MG74 was able to fight back in close combat and even overpower an enemy through melee. MG2 overspeced in ranged combat while forgoing any melee prowess. MG74 seemed to be a better balance of both.
To be fair, King Ceasar was a bit of a wuss and Godzilla couldn't even get close to MG for the entire battle. But once he did the fight ended quickly. In the second film, even when Godzilla finally got close and tore the robot's head off, it still kept going.
By the time Godzilla did get close, its magnetic pull was fucking with MG's controls leaving it more of a sitting duck. That's kinda like saying I could kick Mike Tyson's ass after he got hit by a crowbar in the head prior to me giving him my hands.

Least the 74 Mechagodzilla showed it had the capacity to fight up close, 75 had no such capacity.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:39 am
King Caesar is by no means a coward. He comfortably had the upper hand against MG until the robot switched tactics and used its missiles, which KC had no counter to. Yeah he hid behind stuff, but that's like....the intelligent thing to do when someone is shooting at you. He was absent for most of the magnetism scene, but given the extremely adverse reaction he had to MG's missiles, poor guy was probably too busy writhing on the ground in pain.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I just want to know what trainning Godzilla did between 74 and 75. Him running through all out assault in 75 with his back on fire and then he let's lose on MechaG is one of my favorite moments in the series.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image