What Godzilla movie did you just watch?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
redmonsterbaragon
Ronin

Re: What Godzilla movie did you just watch?

Post by redmonsterbaragon »

The dub of Godzilla vs spacegodzilla and I hated it.

redmonsterbaragon
Ronin

Post by redmonsterbaragon »

Godzilla vs spaceGodzilla

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzilla Vs Kong at the Rosemount theatre in Chicago for G-Fest.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Ebirah Horror of the Deep

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The original, Gojira.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

My parents visited 2 weeks ago. They'd seen all the MV movies except Godzilla vs. Kong. So my dad insisted I popped in my blu-ray.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Not any Godzilla movies but two weekends ago I marathoned Rodan, The Mysterians, Varan, The H-Man and Battle In Outer Space. Out of these five, I think I enjoyed H-Man the most.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:12 pm Not any Godzilla movies but two weekends ago I marathoned Rodan, The Mysterians, Varan, The H-Man and Battle In Outer Space. Out of these five, I think I enjoyed H-Man the most.
Of those 5, Rodan would be my favorite, but H-Man is a solid second. It's a shame that movie doesn't get more attention among Honda fans, because it's a really effective chiller with a pretty compelling storyline.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: What Godzilla movie did you just watch ?

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm sure if the film had a pointless giant monster everyone would obsessed with the film in order to write TK bios and use the monster in fantasy matches. It's sad how really good films are ignored in the fandom because they don't contain big rubber monsters.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: What Godzilla movie did you just watch ?

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:35 am I'm sure if the film had a pointless giant monster everyone would obsessed with the film in order to write TK bios and use the monster in fantasy matches. It's sad how really good films are ignored in the fandom because they don't contain big rubber monsters.
You're not wrong and I agree, but you're also simplifying the issue. Kaiju fans, by and large, are fans of big, loud spectacle, and The H-Man isn't that. I've only seen it once myself, and I remember finding it a little slow and dull; not bad at all, but not overly exciting or memorable. It was mostly a police procedural, wasn't it? Heavy on dialogue and drama, light on action? I dunno. I went in blind and wasn't prepared for that kind of movie, and will probably enjoy it more on the rewatch. Anyway, it's really not surprising that it wouldn't hold much appeal for most of the kind of people that gravitate toward watching dinosaurs knock over skyscrapers and spit lasers at tanks.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The film's crime drama provides the build up to the reveal of the H Men and their night club attack, but I find that a strength of the film. Spectacle is fun, but a well-paced chiller that uses the monster/killer as a reward for your patience is just as good. It all depends on what you like.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

In honor of its 60th Anniversary, I watched KKvG back-to-back with KKE.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Working my way through non-Godzilla Toho stuff. Last weekend I watched the original Mothra (always surprised how well this genre re-defining movie holds up) and saw Matango for the first time in forever. Really excellent movie. It's unpleasant, uncomfortable and claustrophobic. If you enjoy Honda's films but you've never seen this you're missing out.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'll be watching Matango tonight. It's a great character driven film, and really creepy.

kaijufanforever
G-Force Personnel

Post by kaijufanforever »

Finished Invasion of Astro Monster and moving onto Godzilla vs Hedorah

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Watched two more non-Godzilla films this weekend.

First was Atragon. It has a bit of an uneven start but once it settles in and gets comfortable with itself it's really a blast. Some of the effects are near flawless and the shot of Tokyo literally dropping into the ground is breathtaking. Outstanding Ifukube score.

Next was Dogora. I'll give the movie this...it's really experimental. From all sort of crazy wireworks to props manipulated underwater to creative uses of the optical printer to actual cel animation, this film tries so many different things. Too bad a lot of it doesn't work that great. The cops and gangsters thing feels like a trial run for Ghidrah, made a few months later. Worth watching for the effects that DO impress (Dogora uprooting a bridge is one of Tsuburaya's best sequences) but it's second to Varan as Toho's least interesting non-Godzilla kaiju film.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

I really need to do a run of essential Tokusatsu films starting from Godzilla 54. There's a TON of important things to be seen... Dogora was the first water tank creature effect (in 1964!) to my knowledge
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.