Cool Monster, Bad Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Re: Cool Monster, Bad Movie

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

There are a couple I can think of:

1. Megalon: great design like Gigan but suffers in an obviously notorious movie.

2. Battra: I think the plot of the movie put Battra at a big disadvantage. Battra Imago should have been a lot stronger with the buildup from Larva.

3. Spacegodzilla: love my guy and I love his movie too, but I acknowledge that it is not the best. In my opinion, it is better than the Mothra and Mechagodzilla II movies but that is a conversation for another topic.

4. Megaguirus: always thought she looked cool but I really dislike the movie she is in.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

For me, Baragon and Gorosaurus deserved better than the films they debuted in. Would have been cooler to see them debut in a Godzilla film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Since when are Frankenstein Conquers the World and King King Escapes bad movies? What exactly would you have wanted to see Baragon and Gorosaurus do in a Godzilla movie? Kind of bizarre how you say Baragon deserved better when he was the main antagonist in his first film and has always been relatively popular. How exactly does Gorosaurus deserve better? He was designed from the beginning as a tribute to the TRex in the original King Kong and was lucky enough to get a major role in DAM. That's not enough?

Crispy...sometimes I just don't know...
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Straight to the Legendary Monsterverse with Gorosaurus. He's that popular.

Godzilla Vs Kong: Gorosaurus Strikes Back

Who's he striking and where did he come back from? Where was he in the first place?

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Baragon would fit in to the Monsterverse quite nicely. Especially with the whole Hollow Earth element to the Monsterverse.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Yeah, KKE is a fun ride (underrated FX scenes too, like when Kong is running along the dock with the car alongside him) and Frankenstein is a certified banger.

Dogora comes to mind pretty quickly. Not that it's an awful film, it's just kinda... flabby. I think Dogora would make for an awesome Godzilla opponent, and in the modern day it'd be something to see the visuals of its tentacles coming from the clouds above.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

As soon as I heard of the Hollow Earth I thought of Megalon.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I think Gabara is the poster child for this.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

^ I'd be shocked if someone hasn't already mentioned Gabara.

Dogora is a good example of this. The movie isn't that bad, but Dogora was a different and interesting kind of kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:22 pm ^ I'd be shocked if someone hasn't already mentioned Gabara.

Dogora is a good example of this. The movie isn't that bad, but Dogora was a different and interesting kind of kaiju.
Dogora's problem is that it is two movies: A heist thriller, and a monster flick. And those plots feel so disjointed that neither one works out so great as consequence.

RogerWhemr
Young Farmer

Post by RogerWhemr »

Varan: I'm going to do whatever to get my hands on the original so I can see Varan. One of my favourite Kaiju is him.

My second favourite kaiju is this mother screener, says Gabara. Too bad this instalment of the series is one of the poorest.

GVH wasn't terrible, but it didn't stand out as the best of the '70s. The idea is still applicable today, and the design would look fantastic in a contemporary film. and I watch some other time guardians of the galaxy 2 cast and best season serirs how I meet you father cast.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:22 pm ^ I'd be shocked if someone hasn't already mentioned Gabara.

Dogora's problem is that it is two movies: A heist thriller, and a monster flick. And those plots feel so disjointed that neither one works out so great as consequence.
Even worse, it's three movies, because there's a lot of effort there to make it a comedy above all. I like Dogora but I agree it really doesn't come together.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.