Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:05 pm Destoroyah is held down by his connection to the Oxygen Destroyer.

In the movie, it doesn't ultimately mean much of anything. If he'd been an alien or a demon or anything else, what would have changed? He's just another big thing for Godzilla to fight, and he's a sideshow at that. Godzilla melting down is the real problem, Destoroyah is just a distraction that gets in the way of everything.

He's a cool distraction, though. He has a mostly good design, if maybe a bit overdone, and a good set of powers and abilities. You can call him a retread of Hedorah, but he feels and behaves so differently from Hedorah that it doesn't matter. He looks intimidating and vicious, has the power and attitude to back it up, and just all around makes for a solid generic enemy kaiju. He'd be a fun recurring Big Bad to give Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla the occasional break, if not for the fact that his origin carries so much weight. You can't just break out the Oxygen Destroyer casually, KoTM, so Destoroyah can't just show up any time like the other kaiju can. It's really unfortunate.
Uh, kinda does mean a lot. Destoroyah's origin is a symbolic connection from the first film to (at the time) what would've been Godzilla's last. The ultimate representation of what Serizawa feared all those years ago come to life and the show of how desperate the situation has becomes when the JSDF are willing to resort to this to kill Godzilla when all other options had failed.

Destoroyah in my view has one of the best Kaiju origins. And part of the reason for why the beast proved as popular as it had.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

godjacob wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 pm Uh, kinda does mean a lot. Destoroyah's origin is a symbolic connection from the first film to (at the time) what would've been Godzilla's last. The ultimate representation of what Serizawa feared all those years ago come to life and the show of how desperate the situation has becomes when the JSDF are willing to resort to this to kill Godzilla when all other options had failed.
And absolutely none of that is recognized or developed with enough reverence in the actual film itself.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:14 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 pm Uh, kinda does mean a lot. Destoroyah's origin is a symbolic connection from the first film to (at the time) what would've been Godzilla's last. The ultimate representation of what Serizawa feared all those years ago come to life and the show of how desperate the situation has becomes when the JSDF are willing to resort to this to kill Godzilla when all other options had failed.
And absolutely none of that is recognized or developed with enough reverence in the actual film itself.
I'd say it was, the whole first half of the film is about this subject, and plays a part in the climax. I seriously don't know what more people would've wanted.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I for one would appreciate it if this franchise stopped being so overly beholden to the likes of Mothra, Ghidorah and MechaG. Toho's got a vast catalogue of kaiju that they can update and find new ways to engage audiences with.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Whether you like it or not, Ghidorah, MG and Mothra have kept this franchise going for a few decades now. These characters tend to lead to the best box office and merchandise sales.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:04 pm Whether you like it or not, Ghidorah, MG and Mothra have kept this franchise going for a few decades now. These characters tend to lead to the best box office and merchandise sales.
I don't disagree with this, but it does sort of lead Toho in a bit of a broken cycle. "Well obviously only Mothra, KG and MG make money, so let's use them again." which leads to them being more popular and thus Toho feels compelled to keep using them and other Kaiju at best get one offs.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:04 pm Whether you like it or not, Ghidorah, MG and Mothra have kept this franchise going for a few decades now. These characters tend to lead to the best box office and merchandise sales.
I don't doubt that Mothra, KG, and MG are reliable box office earners, but it should be said that hardly anyone else has had a fair chance in decades. Space Godzilla's movie sucked. Orga had little or no presence in G2K's marketing, so he basically doesn't count. Megaguirus' movie sucked. Final Wars sucked. Almost everything else made from the '90s on starred one or more of the big three, and most of the movies were at least slightly higher quality.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Who says they have to ONLY rely on them is what I'm saying.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

There are a few on this board that don't realize as popular as KG, Mothra and MechaG are hear they are that much more popular in Japan and burnout is no where near as bad in Japan as it is over here.

Added in 1 minute 5 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:26 pm
Who says they have to ONLY rely on them is what I'm saying.
People over hype the amount of timea Ghidorah and Mothra have been used anyway just because they want to see other monsters.

SP didn't have Ghidorah and Mothra snd MechaG were cameos.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mothra has fourteen movie appearances, not counting insignificant cameos or what the Anime Trilogy did.

Ghidorah has eleven.

Mechagodzilla has seven, including CotEoB.

No, these three legitimately have a disproportionately large number of appearances.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Worth pointing out that, despite all these appearances, Toho hasn't done Ghidorah justice in decades, and it's been almost 20 years since the Kiryu films.

Toho hasn't made a serious effort to use these characters in a truly major way since the Millennium series. If Americans are truly that burnt out on them, blame the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:42 pm Mothra has fourteen movie appearances, not counting insignificant cameos or what the Anime Trilogy did.

Ghidorah has eleven.

Mechagodzilla has seven, including CotEoB.

No, these three legitimately have a disproportionately large number of appearances.
Mothra has appeared in 3 movie appearances in the last 20 years and 4 in the last 30 years not counting the cameos or anime trilogy or Mothra trilogy. One of these appearances was due to MV Godzilla needing his version of his rogues gallery. Mothra is exposed a lot because the 60's Godzilla films turned into Godzilla and Mothra films a some point.

Ghidorah has 4 appearances in 30 years plus his MV outing.

MechaGodzilla also has 4 appearances plus the MV outing in 30 years.

These appearances are more spread out then the just stating the number with not other factors. Also where did you get 14 and 11 from?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:46 pm Worth pointing out that, despite all these appearances, Toho hasn't done Ghidorah justice in decades, and it's been almost 20 years since the Kiryu films.

Toho hasn't made a serious effort to use these characters in a truly major way since the Millennium series. If Americans are truly that burnt out on them, blame the MonsterVerse.
Hey least the MV has introduced a new monster in every single film up to this point. And even made a new monster the main antagonist in 2 of them.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mothra
MvG
GTTHM
EHotD
DAM
GvM:TBfE
GvSG
RoM
RoM2
RoM3
GMK
SOS
GFW
KotM

GTTHM
GvMZ
DAM
GvG
GvKG
RoM
RoM3
GMK
GFW
TPE
KotM

GvMG
ToMG
GvMGII
GxMG
SOS
CotEoB
GvK

I know someone will try to say Leo and the non-King Ghidorahs don't count, but let's not split hairs like that.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:17 pm Mothra
MvG
GTTHM
EHotD
DAM
GvM:TBfE
GvSG
RoM
RoM2
RoM3
GMK
SOS
GFW
KotM

GTTHM
GvMZ
DAM
GvG
GvKG
RoM
RoM3
GMK
GFW
TPE
KotM

GvMG
ToMG
GvMGII
GxMG
SOS
CotEoB
GvK

I know someone will try to say Leo and the non-King Ghidorahs don't count, but let's not split hairs like that.
I mean, I don't think it's very fair to list something that is literally a trio of Mothra spinoff films as examples of Mothra being overused in things. Those films are literally Mothra (Or Leo) stories.

That's like saying we get too much Godzilla in the Godzilla series.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Fine, subtract the RoM Trilogy. Mothra still has more appearances than anyone else but Ghidorah, by far.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I have been feeling more or less burnt out with Mothra, KG and MG even before the Monsterverse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The facts are that Mothra, KG, and MG are the big money makers. G vs Biollante is a great film but didn't do well box office wise. The next two films, featuring KG and Mothra, were box office successes. Films are about money, and Toho knows how to make it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:34 pm Fine, subtract the RoM Trilogy. Mothra still has more appearances than anyone else but Ghidorah, by far.
She has 4 of her own movies plus the 60's Godzilla films turned into Godzilla featuring Mothra.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:01 pm The facts are that Mothra, KG, and MG are the big money makers. G vs Biollante is a great film but didn't do well box office wise. The next two films, featuring KG and Mothra, were box office successes. Films are about money, and Toho knows how to make it.
Funny enough, you would think Toho would give SpaceGodzilla and Destroyah another shot because both of their films sold more tickets than even GMK and Godzilla 2014, Destroyah is still a beloved film in Japan, and both characters still sell decently as merchandise.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.