Favourite Mechagodzilla Origin?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your favourite Mechagodzilla Origin?

Alien Doppelgänger
63%
Anti-Godzilla Human Superweapon
17%
Built around the bones of the OG Godzilla
13%
Alien Nanometal
No votes
Human Invention Possessed by an Evil Force.
7%

Total votes: 30

Voyager
Keizer

Favourite Mechagodzilla Origin?

Post by Voyager »

The long awaited sequel to my Ghidorah thread.

I gotta how with the Showa Origin. I just love how he tries to frame Godzilla,
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Favourite Mechagodzilla Origin?

Post by edgaguirus »

It makes perfect sense for the aliens to create a weapon based on the strongest monster on Earth. Not only can they make people think Godzilla is the actual threat, but it would intimidate humans if they discovered the con.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Aliens. Apes, specifically. Damned, fashionable apes.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

My mind goes to anti-Godzilla superweapon and a product of humanity. Feel we have enough Kaiju who fit the alien theme that Mecha G doesn't need to be made by some for me.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I don't really have one? Alien invasion figurehead or human counterweapon, either option works for me.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Alien Doppelganger is the only origin that explains why the robot looks like Godzilla.

Even with Kiryu it fails to explain just why they had to build the rest of the Mech around a skeleton. I know they brought up the DNA computers earlier in the movie, but it was piloted by humans anyway.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spuro wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:54 pm The Alien Doppelganger is the only origin that explains why the robot looks like Godzilla.

Even with Kiryu it fails to explain just why they had to build the rest of the Mech around a skeleton. I know they brought up the DNA computers earlier in the movie, but it was piloted by humans anyway.
THe DNA computer aids in automated decision making and allows the mecha to respond to commands faster than a purely automated receiver. Felt justified enough.

I never got why the aliens NEEDED it to look like Godzilla, what exactly did they gain from having Fake Godzilla around? They kidnapped the scientists they needed for repairs so not like they used it to gain favor or something.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:09 pm
Spuro wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:54 pm The Alien Doppelganger is the only origin that explains why the robot looks like Godzilla.

THe DNA computer aids in automated decision making and allows the mecha to respond to commands faster than a purely automated receiver. Felt justified enough.

I never got why the aliens NEEDED it to look like Godzilla, what exactly did they gain from having Fake Godzilla around? They kidnapped the scientists they needed for repairs so not like they used it to gain favor or something.
It was to frame Godzilla, so the humans could kill him, so the Alien’s biggest obstacle is now gone.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:52 pm

It was to frame Godzilla, so the humans could kill him, so the Alien’s biggest obstacle is now gone.
Pretty sure we don't even get a scene of humans attacking Godzilla nor any alien in the film mentioning that as part of the plan. Hell one of the leads even proclaims that "something is wrong" when Godzilla attacks his friend Anguirus. So nobody even believed it.

What is it with Showa films and alien races trying to trick humans for no damn reason? Same thing happened in IOTAM

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:56 pm

Pretty sure we don't even get a scene of humans attacking Godzilla nor any alien in the film mentioning that as part of the plan. Hell one of the leads even proclaims that "something is wrong" when Godzilla attacks his friend Anguirus. So nobody even believed it.

What is it with Showa films and alien races trying to trick humans for no damn reason? Same thing happened in IOTAM
Look here, I’m not saying the aliens are smart :lol:

But they did give us the best MG design. Twice.
For Emperor and Empire!

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

The DNA computer element was the right wacky pseudo science I expect to see in these kind of movies, and to its credit, it led to this version of Mechagodzilla being the only one that is really a character in the story. The memories and personality of the 1954 Godzilla inhabit the robotic body and there is a fear that it could take over at any time, and that, on paper, makes Kiryu probably the most interesting Mechagodzilla to date.

Now honestly speaking, my favorite Mechagodzilla will probably always be the Showa incarnation, but if we're talking strictly origins, then I think Millennium wins out.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

The DNA computer element was the right wacky pseudo science I expect to see in these kind of movies, and to its credit, it led to this version of Mechagodzilla being the only one that is really a character in the story. The memories and personality of the 1954 Godzilla inhabit the robotic body and there is a fear that it could take over at any time, and that, on paper, makes Kiryu probably the most interesting Mechagodzilla to date.

Now honestly speaking, my favorite Mechagodzilla will probably always be the Showa incarnation, but if we're talking strictly origins, then I think Millennium wins out.

Also, to throw my two cents into why the aliens in the Showa film felt like Mechagodzilla had to look Godzilla. The weapon was designed specifically to kill Godzilla. The aliens expressly targeted him. This is not unprecedented as in Godzilla Vs. Gigan, the cockroach aliens used their signals, the Monsters they controlled, and the Godzilla Tower all as ways to lure Godzilla into their trap. It is kind of the same principle here as they knew by making a fake Godzilla, it would catch the real Godzilla's attention and drive him to confront the imposter, once again luring it into a trap.

The real question is the Heisei Era one as I can't fathom why G-Force would make their robot look like Godzilla. Maybe as like an insult, I don't know. In the MonsterVerse, it was stated that APEX sought to replace Godzilla with their own creation, a newer, better Godzilla, so maybe the Heisei Era version had something similar going on. I don't know.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:08 pm

Eh, design is subjective. Showa MG is great because it has a mean streak even if it technically lacks a personality, but I don't like how dull its metal looks and those fingers being locked in place really bug me.

I think Kiryu strikes the ideal balance between the more sleek metal of Heisei MG and Showa MG's more expressive design.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

1. Only one person comments on Godzilla attacking Anguirus. Everyone else is shocked and in the case of the priest, he cries that King Cesaur is the only monster that can stop Godzilla.
2. When Godzilla appears, the alien chief remarks "I didn't expect the real Godzilla to appear so soon. The earth people must be astonished". That remark is pretty obvious that the black hole aliens intended to frame Godzilla.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Thu May 19, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

darthzilla99 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:53 pm

1. Only one person comments on Godzilla attacking Anguirus. Everyone else is shocked and in the case of the priest, he cries that King Cesaur is the only monster that can stop Godzilla.
2. When Godzilla appears, the alien chief remarks "I didn't expect the real Godzilla to appear so soon. The earth people must be astonished". That remark is pretty obvious that the black hole aliens intended to frame Godzilla.
1. The priest wanted Godzilla dead because of his vision, which he would've blamed on Godzilla regardless and it didn't even seem like the other villagers believed in it much.
2. Ah classic tell don't show storytelling. I don't see that as gripping reason to justify the Fake Godzilla skin and how nowhere that "element" goes.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The 1974 original is my favorite. I used to be big on the Heisei design but as I got older, I came to appreciate the Showa version more. I love the retro-robot aesthetic it has with the aggressive flair with all the rivets and sharp edges.

Runner up would be Anime MG. I love complex and alien it looks while still retaining Godzilla's silhouette. It's moveset looked to be really interesting as well. Too bad we never got to see it in action because the creators of the Polygon trilogy were hacks.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:18 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:08 pm

Eh, design is subjective. Showa MG is great because it has a mean streak even if it technically lacks a personality, but I don't like how dull its metal looks and those fingers being locked in place really bug me.

I think Kiryu strikes the ideal balance between the more sleek metal of Heisei MG and Showa MG's more expressive design.
Kiryu gives us a better fighter in MG. It can do physical combat and spam beams and missiles.

It strikes me that Showa and Heisei MG were designed as walking tanks. They're meant to blast kaiju to pieces with a massive barrage of weapons. At a distance, Both MG are brutal and effective, but up close they're at a disadvantage.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I think a combination of being an alien superweapon and being built around the bones of a previously-slain Godzilla would be my ideal origin.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

Showa had the best Mechagodzilla, but there's really nothing to it's origin. It just pops up fully formed. Why only send one?
Spoiler:
in the comics the aliens actually do send multiple
The humans building its Heisei and Millennium successors were limited by needing a Mecha King Ghidorah carcass / Godzilla skeleton to use as a base. While we can come up with reasons, there's nothing in the movie that suggests them.

Same thing with these ideas about why it looks like Godzilla. Even if Earth's military counterattacked, do you really thing they're gonna fart off looking for the real Godzilla instead of the one who's actively wrecking stuff? And how is this luring Godzilla thing supposed to work? I guess Godzilla's watching TV when his fake makes the news and goes "well this is a clear infringement of my copyright, better go sort 'em out"
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."