Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by edgaguirus »

I think Miguel explains it well. The first two Heisei Gamera films are lighter in tone and have a superhero feel. RoG has a darker tone with political commentary. A lighter toned film works better for an introduction.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 pm A lighter toned film works better for an introduction.
That really depends upon the audience.

While I have used GotU as an introduction to the genre more than once (and, as I said before, would certainly choose it above any Heisei Godzilla film for that purpose), most of the time, I use the original Gojira as the starting point (GMK can also work, and lately Shin has become an option for that as well), because it has both emotional and intellectual depth beyond what most people expect from "Japanese rubber monsters."

Basically, I think an introductory entry should be compelling in a way not dependent upon familiarity with previous works, but compelling in what sense really depends upon the viewer you're trying to seduce.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Perfect explanation.

The reason the Heisei series doesn't work as an introduction to the genre is that most of them rely on the viewer's familiarity with Godzilla. A lot of fans excuse the faults of these movies because, "It's a Godzilla movie, look at him fight that other monster!" That's fine if you already love the monster but it has NEVER worked for me when trying to get people into the character.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:16 am The reason the Heisei series doesn't work as an introduction to the genre is that most of them rely on the viewer's familiarity with Godzilla.
I literally never heard of Godzilla before watching Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah for the first time and here I am today.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:20 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:16 am The reason the Heisei series doesn't work as an introduction to the genre is that most of them rely on the viewer's familiarity with Godzilla.
I literally never heard of Godzilla before watching Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah for the first time and here I am today.
This was, ironically, my introduction film as well.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:20 am
And I'm sure that's true of a lot of people who were kids at the time, or were predisposed to those types of movies. All of us got into Godzilla somehow.

But my experience has been with people who aren't inclined to like giant monster movies in the first place. I've never converted anyone into a Godzilla fan (and it's silly to try) but the most positive reactions have always been with the Heisei Gamera series, the 54 Godzilla or a handful of Showa entries. The Heisei series has never worked.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Being that this is page three of this, I'm going to recommend we move off the "Gamera trilogy" discussion in here for the time being and get back to different unpopular opinions.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Hey at least it lead to discussion. A lot of what goes on in this thread seems to most be people saying nutty things for reactions. The fact that this went on for three pages, IMHO, isn't a bad thing. It showed it was something worth discussing.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:38 am Hey at least it leads to discussion
Right, but it's excessive at this point. It's not the point of the thread. Feel free to discuss it another appropriate thread.

Unpopular opinions now. Thanks.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I prefer the 67 Gorosaurus design to the one used in DAM. I think the darker colours look more natural, as well as the more hunched appearance. Cooler roars too.
Last edited by Voyager on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:51 am I prefer the 67 Gorosaurus design to the one used in DAM. I think the darker colours look more natural, as well as the more hunched appearance. Cooler roars too.
It's not just you so don't worry, but why am I suddenly seeing people say that there are two different Gorosaurus designs? They're the same suit, and the only difference is a year of wear and storage making it look a little more worn and lumpier by 1968.

I'm surprised at the preference of the altered DAM roar, since it's a lot more Varan/Baragon in nature, while the squeaky hiss of the KKE roar was more unique.

Sometimes a Gorosaurus is just a Gorosaurus. Now if it was Showa Gigan we were talking about...

EDIT: I'm slowly realizing I didn't start hearing this until two brand new Gorosaurus figures hit the marketplace. Is this an instance of people trying to justify buying both?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla 1998 may have very few things going for it, but the soundtrack is definitely one of those "few good things". I've been listening to several tracks from the film lately and I gotta say, I really like it. It's nowhere near on the level of Ifukube, Reijiro Kuroku, or other composers, but it isn't awful either.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 pm Godzilla 1998 may have very few things going for it, but the soundtrack is definitely one of those "few good things". I've been listening to several tracks from the film lately and I gotta say, I really like it. It's nowhere near on the level of Ifukube, Reijiro Kuroku, or other composers, but it isn't awful either.
Agreed. Aside from the opening credits, I've found myself listening to "Godzilla O' Park", "Big G Goes to Monster Heaven", "Ship Reveal" and "Chernobyl" on repeat.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 pm Godzilla 1998 may have very few things going for it, but the soundtrack is definitely one of those "few good things". I've been listening to several tracks from the film lately and I gotta say, I really like it. It's nowhere near on the level of Ifukube, Reijiro Kuroku, or other composers, but it isn't awful either.
That's another aspect of G'98 that I liked more than in G'14. For all the opening sequence's technical inaccuracies, the music was fucking haunting. Rest of the score also set the mood perfectly.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Can't forget Puff Daddy :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 am Can't forget Puff Daddy :lol:
uuuhhh-huh...Yeah..
Spoiler:
It's bad for a song to begin on a parody of big poppa by biggie smalls, but come with me is a better remix than Kashmir by Led Zeppelin (a band that arguably owes just as much to other bands sax as Taurus)

I posted this in another thread, but the Godzilla franchise has never had bad music, sound design, and or bad audio.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

I am forever grateful that The Wallflowers' "Heroes" cover introduced 8-year old me to David Bowie.

That's something you can never take from.me.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:23 pm I am forever grateful that The Wallflowers' "Heroes" cover introduced 8-year old me to David Bowie.

That's something you can never take from.me.
My dad actually prefers that version over Bowie's original, and......I can't say I disagree.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I will second what others have said about the Heisei series. My gf fell asleep for all of them but GvB and ROG I think. Then again she’s susceptible to falling asleep during films lol.

Edit: sorry, didn’t see the separate thread for this topic.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:04 am I posted this in another thread, but the Godzilla franchise has never had bad music, sound design, and or bad audio.
Mmm...

I'm still not sold on the music for Godzilla vs Kong. Or Godzilla Raids Again, for that matter. Although I would agree the music isn't BAD... it's just kinda generic and unmemorable to my ears.

Bad sound design... well, gotta disagree there. Shin Godzilla's weakest aspect by far, to me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.