Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

For the last few months, the forums have gone crazy with bored creative people posting interesting ideas about concepts and asking if others would enjoy them. While some of these threads have led to some interesting discussion, a lot of these come off as wishful thinking and/or endless what-ifs. That’s fine, and they’re fun discuss. Moving forward, please use this thread to discuss your ideas for Godzilla films and ask others how they would feel about a particular concept.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

Post by Voyager »

Alright, I'll be the first and a conversation starter.

How would you feel about a Godzilla that has a personality and is active. A return to the Heisei and Showa era, if you will.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Can we post ideas that we've brought up before on this thread?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:17 pm Can we post ideas that we've brought up before on this thread?
Yep.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Okay, thanks. Here’s my bundle of “how would you feel” questions :

1. How would you feel if the Heisei series got a soft reboot starting with an entry that follows up upon the first 2 films, while ignoring the events of the 90’s films?

2. How would you feel if Toho set up its own streaming service?

3. How would you feel if Toho took advantage of Kong going full Public Domain in 2029 and turned him into a series regular alongside Mothra and a Ghidorah?

4. How would you feel if Toho made a live-action Godzilla TV series of their own if the Apple Streaming series is successful?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 pm ^Okay, thanks. Here’s my bundle of “how would you feel” questions :

1. How would you feel if the Heisei series got a soft reboot starting with an entry that follows up upon the first 2 films, while ignoring the events of the 90’s films?

3. How would you feel if Toho took advantage of Kong going full Public Domain in 2029 and turned him into a series regular alongside Mothra and a Ghidorah?

4. How would you feel if Toho made a live-action Godzilla TV series of their own if the Apple Streaming series is successful?

1. I think it'd be a cheap way to baiting at Nostalgia for money.

2. It would never take off and would also seem like an attempt to get more money.

3. I would be skeptical.

4. I would be fine with it.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Thank you, LSD. This was a good idea. I limit my discussion here to the main movie subs and the Toho toy and media subs. In the past few months it's gotten frustrating going to the forum, seeing a bunch of active threads and then discovering they're all what ifs, thought exercises, head canons and discussion on abandoned projects.

What is it about Godzilla that makes people want to play pretend so badly?

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Godzilla is a franchise that could've taken a lot of different paths (1994's American film for example), and that obviously gets people minds racing with 'what it could have been', the 'what ifs' are because of the Japanese side of the franchise currently being shrouded in mystery with nobody knowing Toho's next step. It seems pretty obvious why these talks happen.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 pm ^Okay, thanks. Here’s my bundle of “how would you feel” questions :

1. If they went all-in on replicating the feel of that era, and justified it with a good story, I'd be on board. The odds of either of those things happening are miniscule, though, let alone both.

2. I don't know enough about Toho's non-Godzilla properties to have any idea how viable this is. And a Godzilla-centric streaming service would never come close to working, and should never be attempted.

3. So long as Kong isn't an immobile sumo wrestler that never changes his expression and fights by projectile vomiting on his enemies, sign me up.

4. It's too hard to gauge what Toho will do with future live action. I just don't know what to expect that to look like.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

3. How would you feel if Toho took advantage of Kong going full Public Domain in 2029 and turned him into a series regular alongside Mothra and Ghidorah?

1. The Heisei series already served its purpose. No need to return to it.

2. Hmmm... ... ...intriguing.

3. I don't think the legal issues over King Kong will be dying out anytime soon, not even in a decade. But if they found a way to make him show up in some of their films and shorts, that'd be rad.

4. Awesome. Especially if its yet another Godzilla reboot that is whacky and experimental in nature.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I personally agree with JagZilla over #1. In the mean time, I would like to give a rebuttal towards Voyager and Shin's responses. First of all, it would not technically be a new entry in the Heisei continuity, but the introduction of an alternative variant of said timeline. So technically, it would be a new continuity in and of itself. It's one thing to take an existing IP in new directions, but what's the harm in going in a new direction through an old one?

As long as it's a different direction that came right before it, everything's fine in my book. I also understand that some may have concerns over such an idea itself being a mere ploy to wank everyone's nostalgia for cash. At the end of the day, how will it be any different than let's say making multiple films between 1984-2004 that either directly reference or simply allude to the original 1954 film time and time again?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A Heisei reboot that takes a new direction would be interesting to see. Would we see more biotechnology, or some other story line? Perhaps we'd even get new versions of some of our favorite kaiju. There are many possibilities there.

Has anyone here ever wondered about a Godzilla film that doesn't have Godzilla? I'm not referring to movies like Gino, but a film where Godzilla is an invisible threat said to be behind disasters and destruction. The story would mainly be about how man reacts to a supposed monster, the politics of nations working together to destroy him or coming to clashes over the hunt for him, and how social media would be used to calm the masses while others incite panic. I know some would feel cheated because they want a giant monster wrecking things on screen, but how about a film that works as a psychological study?
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 pm2. How would you feel if Toho set up its own streaming service?
This could actually be great, provided they focus on more than just Godzilla/Toku content. There are probably thousands of Toho films completely unavailable on home video (Legally available only through sporadic cable airings), so a platform hosting them on-demand would be ideal. Though of course, it'd be Japan-only.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Honestly I think Showa deserves a revisit more than Heisei. Imagine what they could do! They could turn it into an anime, or keep it as is. A post-DAM Showa show could have Godzilla and friends fight Showa versions of past kaiju, like Biollante, Orga, Destoroyah, Monster X, even some MonsterVerse kaiju.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Tsuburaya did so well over 15 years ago when they made Mebius (and later the Galaxy shows and the movie) and started bringing back old monsters exactly the way they looked on the old shows. It was something I would have loved to see Toho do, but the path they've taken Godzilla down means it's never going to happen.

But could you imagine if they cared enough about their past (outside of celebrating anniversaries to make $$$ on merch) to really go nuts with something like that?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:54 am Honestly I think Showa deserves a revisit more than Heisei. Imagine what they could do! They could turn it into an anime, or keep it as is. A post-DAM Showa show could have Godzilla and friends fight Showa versions of past kaiju, like Biollante, Orga, Destoroyah, Monster X, even some MonsterVerse kaiju.
Can I ask why you would prefer a return to the Showa era? I'm guessing it's because most people alive today have no memory of the Showa films' initial releases and thus it would be a much less obvious ploy to exploit people's nostalgia. Also, Do you prefer Kong and Godzilla being separate?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:54 am Honestly I think Showa deserves a revisit more than Heisei. Imagine what they could do! They could turn it into an anime, or keep it as is. A post-DAM Showa show could have Godzilla and friends fight Showa versions of past kaiju, like Biollante, Orga, Destoroyah, Monster X, even some MonsterVerse kaiju.
Can I ask why you would prefer a return to the Showa era? I'm guessing it's because most people alive today have no memory of the Showa films' initial releases and thus it would be a much less obvious ploy to exploit people's nostalgia. Also, Do you prefer Kong and Godzilla being separate?
Showa just has a lot more opportunities. And the zaniness of the series allows for more to be shown and portrayed.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 pm
Showa just has a lot more opportunities. And the zaniness of the series allows for more to be shown and portrayed.
That and it's the superior era.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 pm

If Toho can finally let go of their constant-reboot fetish, they could pull it off.
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:08 pm That and it's the superior era.
Doesn't mean the Heisei era deserves a second chance. I'm a man who believes in second chances.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

1. What's the point of going back to Heisei, only to ignore almost all of it? Might as well just start from scratch.

2. I feel like there's way too much competition with subscription streaming services.

3. Sounds great, I love Kong being part of Godzilla's universe.

4. I'd have to wait until it comes out and see how it goes. I'm not pleased with what they've been putting out the past few years.