Synapsid Godzilla - Yay or nay?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Re: Synapsid Godzilla - Yay or nay?

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

I believe that MonsterVerse Godzilla is a stem-mammal (early synapsid.)
He has mammalian face musculature, giving him the ability to smile, and is warm-blooded. Titanus Gojira is a species that originated in the Permian, just like Stem-Mammals.
The massive Titanus Gojira skull in the Kong cavern has one hole, like a synapsid skull, as does the skull sketch from 2014's opening credits.
His crocodile-like body armour and gills can be explained as examples of Convergent Evolution between unrelated animals.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Voyager wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:05 pm Man I'm sick of all this "scientifically accurate Godzilla" bull.
This. Whenever I see people clamoring for "scientifically accurate" kaiju I'm unironically tempted to call them a cringe inducing nerd who needs to go outside more often. And this is coming from a social recluse like me.
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:27 am
Voyager wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:05 pm Man I'm sick of all this "scientifically accurate Godzilla" bull.
This. Whenever I see people clamoring for "scientifically accurate" kaiju I'm unironically tempted to call them a cringe inducing nerd who needs to go outside more often. And this is coming from a social recluse like me.
Then I guess King Kong should not be easily identifiable as an ape.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 pm
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:27 am
Then I guess King Kong should not be easily identifiable as an ape.
What logic is this? Kong was always meant to be recognisable as an ape. Godzilla was always something else.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:48 pm What logic is this? Kong was always meant to be recognizable as an ape. Godzilla was always something else.
Still a giant monster, which by definition is a fantastical creature.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

So I will say this, as someone who also is a part of the paleontology and paleoart communities online: I personally dont want a scientifically accurate Godzilla in the films or in any cannon at all. I think we should avoid that like the plague. That being said, paleoartists drawing stuff for the fun of it isnt something to be mad about.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Do those of you who object to applying speculative biology to kaiju find it comparable to Midi-chlorians with The Force?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I know the question isnt addressed to me, but I always loved the midi-chlorians. I thought it was a really cool way of explaining the force. I also strongly prefer the prequels, so do with that information what you will.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I wouldn't mind him being a synapsid... but I also wouldn't mind him just being an indiscriminate prehistoric creature.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think I know why people would be iffy over applying speculative biology to Godzilla, or any kaiju. It's probably due to the fact that G98 implemented something along the lines of it with its so-called version of Godzilla. Had it not been for the existence of that movie, or if it had actually been good, people might more unanimously warmer to the idea.

Like what Kaltes said, what matters is how you implement it within the context of the setting you want to create. If anything, I think it's not so much the idea itself, but rather how you execute it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.