Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm
Spuro wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am When Godzilla did the Godzilla thing, and looked like Godzilla in a Godzilla movie, I was like "Man, this is some Godzilla right here," when he destroyed that building in a Godzilla kind of way.
When I Saw The Toho Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Monsterverse they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch.
Questions scientists can’t answer: Stroke or Satire?*

*of the average MonsterVerse fan.
Have you never seen the party city Butt post? Replace 'Toho' with 'Showa' and 'Monsterverse' with 'Heisei', and that fine showcase of the English language is an actual, honest post from several years back. It's on page 36 of the Favorite Godzilla Era thread, and is one of TK's favorite memes. :lol:
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:26 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm
Spuro wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm

When I Saw The Toho Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Monsterverse they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch.
Questions scientists can’t answer: Stroke or Satire?*

*of the average MonsterVerse fan.
Have you never seen the party city Butt post? Replace 'Toho' with 'Showa' and 'Monsterverse' with 'Heisei', and that fine showcase of the English language is an actual, honest post from several years back. It's on page 36 of the Favorite Godzilla Era thread, and is one of TK's favorite memes. :lol:
No I haven’t, but reading this, now assume I have 8-)
For Emperor and Empire!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

https://youtu.be/3pDpMQyoxIY

MV Godzilla low-key sounds kind of good with the G98 SFX. The groan at 0:30 gave me goosebumps.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:00 pm https://youtu.be/3pDpMQyoxIY

MV Godzilla low-key sounds kind of good with the G98 SFX. The groan at 0:30 gave me goosebumps.
I have to agree. G98's higher pitched noises are kinda extra good coupled with TBIC (thicc boi in charge) Monsterverse Godzilla.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SP Rodan = RINO
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:53 pm SP Rodan = RINO
Probably not that unpopular. Tbh, I'm a SP stan and I don't 100% love the Rodans (it's a solid 82% tho)

RIP Evan.

SoggyNoodles2016

I will say I hate this "bad kaiju design is (whatever it's name is)INO" descriptor because I feel like it simplifies the MANY issues with 1998 to a bad design instead of the various non-design related issues in post production that made it Notzilla.

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 pm I will say I hate this "bad kaiju design is (whatever it's name is)INO" descriptor because I feel like it simplifies the MANY issues with 1998 to a bad design instead of the various non-design related issues in post production that made it Notzilla.
Agreed. People abuse the term INO and it loses to meaning. No one would call G98 GINO had he had atomic breath, and devastates New York and the army and it took a Super weapon to get rid of him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:36 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 pm I will say I hate this "bad kaiju design is (whatever it's name is)INO" descriptor because I feel like it simplifies the MANY issues with 1998 to a bad design instead of the various non-design related issues in post production that made it Notzilla.
Agreed. People abuse the term INO and it loses to meaning. No one would call G98 GINO had he had atomic breath, and devastates New York and the army and it took a Super weapon to get rid of him.
So no one would call G98 GINO had he been in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MOVIE?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Not even that.

GINO is GINO because Roland Emmerich was a shitheel who thought Godzilla was a cringy old idea from some backwards ass country and he could make it better. He didn't respect what Godzilla was so he was NEVER going to make a Godzilla, he was going to make the kind of monster he wanted and slap the name on it. It'd be like if Homelander was passed off as Superman, it's a character that spits in the face of everything the character you're imitating stands for.

SP Rodan Isn't RINO because Toh EnJoe and the crew of Singular Point didn't decide they were better then Tsuburaya, Honda and the rest and only they could "fix" Rodan, they respected the character and did their own take on it. Did it work? Up to your interpretation, but he understood Rodan. He didn't make his own monster and slap Rodan's name on it, he took the core concept of Rodan (a fast, voracious and deadly monster that can fly anywhere) and tweaked it (they're smaller, there's a lot of them and they're making the world worse wherever they go by spreading a terrible disease).

Again, compare it to Emmerich who saw "god incarnate of destruction, punishing man and monster alike for our arrogance and destruction" and didn't see it and made his own "tragic but dangerous monster loose in a world it didn't belong in"

It's why "INO-ing" drives me insane. It's dismissing any nuanced critiques by suggesting anything that doesn't glue itself to status quo is an abomination and against that character.

Added in 57 seconds:
I'll also add this isn't directed at anyone lol. I'm doing a podcast next month dissecting 1998 and I've had this thought process rattling around and needed to put it down somewhere other then my notes.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

My unpopular Opinion is that SP Rodan is abso-fucking-luetly a "RINO", lol. There isn't a single shred of respect present in that design.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:13 pm
So no one would call G98 GINO had he been in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MOVIE?
If Godzilla 98 was in a movie in which the only difference between it and Toho was that 98 looked like something from Jurassic Park there would have been backlash but I doubt we would treat it the way we do now. Had G98 been a true update of Gojira for example with someone that did respect the franchise but it looked the same way it did now I don't think fans would have hatted it as much, we would just be asking why they designed it so differently.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would have liked to see the Kamacura have a cameo in DAM. Just show one living on the island, or as one of the kaiju sent to attack a city; It would not be in the big fight.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Godzilla Filius was the most genuinely menacing antagonist of the Anime trilogy.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm not the biggest fan of how Godzilla looks in Rulers of Earth. Personally, I much prefer how James Stokoe portrayed KiryuGoji in The Half-Century War.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah im just not a fan of Stokoe's work. It's got a weird pop art quality to it I'm just not a fan of.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I missed the Godzilla vs Judas plot Lsd and others made. Probably would have preferred it to the real Shin.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:43 pm I missed the Godzilla vs Judas plot Lsd and others made. Probably would have preferred it to the real Shin.
What’s that? I have never heard of it.
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:15 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:43 pm I missed the Godzilla vs Judas plot Lsd and others made. Probably would have preferred it to the real Shin.
What’s that? I have never heard of it.
A fake plot description for Shin made by LSD and a few others.

In short,

Shin attacks Japan and begins to rampage as normal. Turning point is halfway through the film when Alphagon (Baragon with a snake head) appears and fights him. Godzilla kills him but he has a strange wound on him, which causes the characters to speculate his burn marks and other fucked up factors are due to an infection and aren't normal.. Eventually, during a full out millitary assault, Godzilla suddenly stops and collapses. A humanoid figure crawls out of his back like a suit actor. This is Judas, a weird ass monster that's basically Sachiel but with fangs, wings, and a long tounge. He's behind Shin's "infection" and becomes the new threat. Shin Godzilla eventually heals as the JSDF is dealing with Judas, now looking like a more traditional Godzilla now that Judas isn't parasiticlly driving him and fights Judas. It ends in a stand still where Godzilla has killed Judas but is being swarmed by strange spider babies of Judas when America nukes all of them and they disappear.....

Then there's an end credit scene where files of Judas, Alphagon and Shin Godzilla are placed within a larger file with an M stamped on it, suggesting this also takes place in the Monsterverse and they'll crossover down the line.

RIP Evan.