Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:58 amSorry, I must be seeing things. Did I read that right? Ultima higher than two versions of Heisei, and an inferior Heisei suit being above one of the best suits in the history of Godzilla? Ayayaye.
Yes, you read that right. You should expect the church of Godzilla Ultima in your local neighborhood within seven days.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:01 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:58 amSorry, I must be seeing things. Did I read that right? Ultima higher than two versions of Heisei, and an inferior Heisei suit being above one of the best suits in the history of Godzilla? Ayayaye.
Yes, you read that right. You should expect the unholy cult of Godzilla Ultima in your local neighborhood within seven days.
FTFY

Besides, i have my faith in Godzilla Showa, and his holiness with protect me and deliver me through these trying times.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:58 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:42 am Godzilla Ultima > 1993 Heisei Godzilla > 1989 Heisei Godzilla
Sorry, I must be seeing things. Did I read that right? Ultima higher than two versions of Heisei, and an inferior Heisei suit being above one of the best suits in the history of Godzilla? Ayayaye.

Godzilla 64 = 74 & 75 = 68-72 > 73 > 54 > 62 > 65 > 55 > 66 > 67

My ranking of the Showa suits.
Actual unpopular time. 91 Goji>89 Goji. An improvement of 89 Goji across the board.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:46 pm Actual unpopular time. 91 Goji>89 Goji. An improvement of 89 Goji across the board.
It absolutely is and it's wild that this is the unpopular opinion around these parts.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Maybe… some people just don’t like the 91 version and prefer the 89…? Design improvements when it’s something superficial like this are subjective, y’know.

Actual unpopular opinion incoming, as opposed to my safe one last time. I do not want the MonsterVerse to continue. I think it’s had it’s try.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:15 pm Maybe… some people just don’t like the 91 version and prefer the 89…? Design improvements when it’s something superficial like this are subjective, y’know.
Thanks for the input! However, I regret to inform you that, in fact, I am well aware of that.

It's just a surprise to me each time someone decisively* favors 89 to 91. I've always thought it was the other way around or that 91 had only a slight edge. Instead, there seems to be a clear advantage for 89 in these here parts. That's all I was saying, it's not like I was outright denying anyone their differing opinion, sheesh.

*Which, IMO, is surprising in its own right, because they're not really that different from each other.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Voyager wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:21 pm
You wanna play it rough? Let's go bananas! Shin Godzilla is... preachy? Pretentious? Something like that. It's shoving something down my throat and I don't like it (I swear to god don't take that out of context).
Given it's Shin, I'd assume a coagulation agent that slows down your metabolism until you freeze.

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:15 pm Maybe… some people just don’t like the 91 version and prefer the 89…?
Meanwhile, I don't like either one.

Added in 11 minutes 46 seconds:
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:42 am Godzilla Ultima > 1993 Heisei Godzilla > 1989 Heisei Godzilla
Agreed, although they're all pretty meh in my book.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

89 is more widely preferred because:

- It’s from a more popular movie.
- General anti-90s bias.
- More added bulk is not wanted by the majority.

And for my personally:

- 89’s head looks better because in most shots and figures, 91 seems to have some kind of caveman esque flat sloped head, pretty visible in the X Plus figure, for example.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:03 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:46 pm Actual unpopular time. 91 Goji>89 Goji. An improvement of 89 Goji across the board.
It absolutely is and it's wild that this is the unpopular opinion around these parts.
I wouldn't be surprised at all of the reason was simply because people like "Godzilla VS Biollante" more than "Godzilla VS King Ghidorah".

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:54 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:15 pm Maybe… some people just don’t like the 91 version and prefer the 89…? Design improvements when it’s something superficial like this are subjective, y’know.
Thanks for the input! However, I regret to inform you that, in fact, I am well aware of that.

It's just a surprise to me each time someone decisively* favors 89 to 91. I've always thought it was the other way around or that 91 had only a slight edge. Instead, there seems to be a clear advantage for 89 in these here parts. That's all I was saying, it's not like I was outright denying anyone their differing opinion, sheesh.

*Which, IMO, is surprising in its own right, because they're not really that different from each other.
I wish I could like comments here lol

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

:roll:
It's just a surprise to me each time someone decisively favors 89 to 91. I've always thought it was the other way around or that 91 had only a slight edge. Instead, there seems to be a clear advantage for 89 in these here parts.
I get that, but it’s been like that for years. Longer than I’ve been here. We have a guy literally named Goji89 and he’s (or was) such a vocal member. I guess it all comes down to your own views though. If you prefer 91, you may without realising it think that your opinion is the popular one, and vice versa.
That's all I was saying, it's not like I was outright denying anyone their differing opinion, sheesh.
No need to get defensive, I wasn’t attacking you. TK, TK, TK…
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Here's the thing...

For a very long time (at least a decade if not more) popular opinion WAS that the 1991 Godzilla was one of THE best designs, PERIOD. In general Godzilla VS Biollante wasn't all that popular for quite a number of years.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GhidoGoji edges out BioGoji to me. Godzilla looked his most powerful in the Heisei series in 91.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:33 am Long story short...enjoy Godzilla vs Sea Monster all you want. I like it too. It's really enjoyable film...

...but don't tell me it's BETTER than Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster. Or Mothra vs Godzilla. Come on now.
Mothra vs Godzilla, not by a long shot in my books.

But Ghidorah? I like the movie, I really do. And I recognize its place in history as one of the most important entries in the series. But, to me, it's always felt like a movie that was a little bit rough around the edges, especially compared to the two films it's sandwiched between: Mothra vs Godzilla and Monster Zero, both of which I consider some of the best entries in the series.

Not that Ebirah has easy competition either; it's sandwiched between Monster Zero and Son of Godzilla, after all. But the deciding factor between the two really comes down to the execution of their respective human stories, to me. I like Ebirah has one of the most imaginative human stories in the series, which really stands out in comparison to everything else and offers satisfying and sensible narrative conclusions as each character gets to show off their skills to contribute to the group's survival.

Now, Ghidorah's human/alien story is also imaginative, but also a bit messy in its execution. I'm sure we all remember the infamous airplane sequence. The narrative isn't as satisfying to me; towards the climax, it feels like it's only freak accidents that result in the protagonist overcoming the assassins and the conclusion comes across as feeling a bit cheap.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ghidorah is the quintessential Godzilla movie and Mothra vs Godzilla is the best hands down imo.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

When Godzilla did the Godzilla thing, and looked like Godzilla in a Godzilla movie, I was like "Man, this is some Godzilla right here," when he destroyed that building in a Godzilla kind of way.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am When Godzilla did the Godzilla thing, and looked like Godzilla in a Godzilla movie, I was like "Man, this is some Godzilla right here," when he destroyed that building in a Godzilla kind of way.
When I Saw The Toho Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Monsterverse they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spuro wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am When Godzilla did the Godzilla thing, and looked like Godzilla in a Godzilla movie, I was like "Man, this is some Godzilla right here," when he destroyed that building in a Godzilla kind of way.
When I Saw The Toho Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Monsterverse they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch.
Man, my King Kong vs. Godzilla house party had a much different reaction XD

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm
Questions scientists can’t answer: Stroke or Satire?*

*of the average MonsterVerse fan.
For Emperor and Empire!