Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

Oh, Jacob. You thought I'd listen. I'm not done yet :twisted:

Millennium Era did not produce one good new kaiju.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:45 pm Oh, Jacob. You thought I'd listen. I'm not done yet :twisted:

But... but... Megaguirus... :cry:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:45 pm Oh, Jacob. You thought I'd listen. I'm not done yet :twisted:

Can you honestly say with a straight face Megaguius isn't cool? Even if her movie was meh.

And Orga is the best Godzilla clone we've gotten. Yes over Biollante, I said it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I do not like Megaguirus. Battra did the edgy insect better. Hell, I prefer the FW redesign of Kamacuras over Megaguirus.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:45 am

Can you honestly say with a straight face Megaguius isn't cool? Even if her movie was meh.

And Orga is the best Godzilla clone we've gotten. Yes over Biollante, I said it.
Megaguirus has the ingredients to be cool, they just weren't mixed up correctly. She ended up clunky-looking, with weird proportions and a bad prop and effects. I'd be up for seeing her revisited in a less haphazard movie.

Orga is indeed the best Godzilla clone we've ever had, but not necessarily a better monster than Biollante.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I feel like people just say random things in these threads not because they actually believe it, but because they just want to strike up a conversation.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:48 am I feel like people just say random things in these threads not because they actually believe it, but because they just want to strike up a conversation.
To be fair, such conversations usually gain more traction here for some reason than in dedicated “Monster Discussion threads.” I’m not really sure why, myself. Maybe there’s just more traffic in this subforum?
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:43 pm Godzilla Raids Again > Terror of MechaGodzilla

Godzilla (PS4) = The Pipeworks Trilogy, quality wise

Ready Player One MechaGodzilla > Kiryu

Kiryu is a cool name on its own but a dumb name for MechaGodzilla

Heisei MechaGodzilla > Heisei Mogeura

Keizer Ghidorah is a legit cool design

Final Wars Rodan design > 60's Showa Rodan design > Heisei Rodan design
1: Pending.
2: Can't say anything about this since I only have vague memories of StE
3: RPO MG is good but not THAT good
4: I am tracking your IP adre-
5: Disagree, Heisei Mechagodzilla is one of my least favorite kaiju redesigns ever while MOGUERA is just meh.
6: He has potential, I'll say that much.
7: Objectively correct.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:48 am I feel like people just say random things in these threads not because they actually believe it, but because they just want to strike up a conversation.
Yes! Thank you. Glad somebody said it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

... hmmmmmmmmmm

I do not like Godzilla.
I hate the Showa Era.
MosuGoji is the worst design.
67 Goji is the best.
Planet Eater was the best movie.
I hate Mechagodzilla 75.
A crossover with Gamera is unneeded.
We need more Mothra and King Ghidorah in Godzilla media.
Godzilla vs The Sea Monster might just be the worst film I ever watched.

Find which one I actually believe ;)
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 am
... hmmmmmmmmmm

I do not like Godzilla.
I hate the Showa Era.
67 Goji is the best.
I hate Mechagodzilla 75.

Not sure, but Ebirah Horror of the Deep is a bad movie and am sick of hearing it be called a "underrated gem" around here.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

... hmmmmmmmmmm

I do not like Godzilla.
I hate the Showa Era.
67 Goji is the best.
I hate Mechagodzilla 75.

I get the feeling its the Gamera one

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:59 am
... hmmmmmmmmmm

I do not like Godzilla.
I hate the Showa Era.
67 Goji is the best.
I hate Mechagodzilla 75.

I get the feeling its the Gamera one
Ding ding ding ding ding! You win!

Added in 40 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:48 am
... hmmmmmmmmmm

I do not like Godzilla.
I hate the Showa Era.
67 Goji is the best.
I hate Mechagodzilla 75.

Not sure, but Ebirah Horror of the Deep is a bad movie and am sick of hearing it be called a "underrated gem" around here.
I don’t get it either tbh.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:48 am Not sure, but Ebirah Horror of the Deep is a bad movie and am sick of hearing it be called a "underrated gem" around here.
Are your problems with it structural? Thematic? Stylistic? Technical?

It's far from a high point of the series/genre, but for years its reception in the US was particularly damaged by its really only having been seen in poor-quality, re-edited, panned and scanned TV format. Whether it is "good" or "bad" on the whole, it's certainly better than its reputation long suggested.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:05 am
godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:48 am Not sure, but Ebirah Horror of the Deep is a bad movie and am sick of hearing it be called a "underrated gem" around here.
Are your problems with it structural? Thematic? Stylistic? Technical?

It's far from a high point of the series/genre, but for years its reception in the US was particularly damaged by its really only having been seen in poor-quality, re-edited, panned and scanned TV format. Whether it is "good" or "bad" on the whole, it's certainly better than its reputation long suggested.
Most of it TBH.

I found the story to be rather weak, with a rather contrived means to get to the island and main characters who are just meh. Not the worst, but don't leave much impression. The bad guys are only memorable in their incompetence and Ebirah ends up being a flat Kaiju villain for Godzilla. I know this part is on the last minute switch from Kong to Godzilla, but I have to judge with the end product. Mothra's inclusion seemed rather wasted. In spite of a subplot about getting Mothra and her natives aid, all it really amounted to was her being a rescue boat and a quick cameo scuffle with Godzilla. Godzilla's characterization is entirely baffling in this film as he shifts between Kong in a Godzilla suit to heroic to destructive Godzilla all at once.

The effects are not the best, not the worst but the fight scenes and base destruction scene leave much to be desired. Kaiju water fights are something Toho never really could pull off which is an issue when two monsters are aquatic.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I think it’s fine. It’s light on plot, Sure. The bird scene is really bad, absolutely. But I kinda can’t hate it. It seems to me like when a TV show has a beach episode. Entirely inconsequential but it’s not offensive in anyway. The score is fun too. I’ll also say I’ve never seen the dub so I haven’t experienced however bad that is. 😆

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingCornetto wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:07 pm I think it’s fine. It’s light on plot, Sure. The bird scene is really bad, absolutely. But I kinda can’t hate it. It seems to me like when a TV show has a beach episode. Entirely inconsequential but it’s not offensive in anyway. The score is fun too. I’ll also say I’ve never seen the dub so I haven’t experienced however bad that is. 😆
The TV dub wasn't bad, but the International dub (the only one available now) is incredibly bland.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I’d argue that Ebirah: Horror of the Deep is still a stronger film than Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster or Destroy All Monsters, so even with regards to the 1960s films I don’t think it’s anywhere near the worst.

I love the characters and the storyline, and just how different it feels to every other movie in the series. It’s like a breath of fresh air to me. Good old pulpy adventure fun.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:48 am Not sure, but Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) is a bad movie and am sick of hearing it be called a "underrated gem" around here.
Totally agreed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yoshimura, the thief is my absolute favorite Takarada role bar none. I love how much of a standout he is from the rest of Godzilla protagonists, he and the rest of the film's cast honestly. I'm big on how they're just ordinary people roped into a situation they didn't intend to be in. The self-contained nature of EHOTD is another aspect that makes it one of my favorites.