Favourite Kaiju Movie Title

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Favourite Kaiju Movie Title

Post by Voyager »

Name.

Terror of Mechagodzila.
Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster.
Frankenstein Conquers the World.
Monster Zero.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Re: Favourite Kaiju Movie Title

Post by godjacob »

Shin Godzilla. Just easy on the tongue and pleasing to say.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

• Frankenstein Conquers the World - He doesn't, but that doesn't change the fact this is cool as fuck.
  • Destroy All Monsters - They don't, but that doesn't change the fact this is also cool as fuck. The Japanese title, which is apparently pretty difficult to translate into English, is also really cool. I think that one implies the monsters are the cavalry charging in.
  • Monster Zero - Simple but mysterious. And it's not a bullshit title, either, because we're told exactly *what* Monster Zero is in the film.
  • 大魔神怒る - This is usually translated as "Angry Daimajin" but ikaru is a verb, not an adjective. From my very limited Japanese, I think a more accurate translation would be "The Great Devil Angers," which is badass.
  • ゴジラ×メガギラス G消滅作戦 - "Godzilla x Megaguirus: The 'G' Extermination Strategy." This makes my top five on the strength of its subtitle alone. It's also another where there are various translations that are even better; I like "The 'G' Annihilation Strategy."
Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:27 pm Shin Godzilla. Just easy on the tongue and pleasing to say.
I didn't really consider it 'til reading your post, but yeah, this is a great one, too -- but especially in Japanese, where the script used for "Shin" means that adjective is open to all possible interpretations.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Japanese title for DAM: 怪獣総進撃/ Kaijū Sōshingeki or "Charge of the Monsters" (there's a few ways to translate it.

I also like EHOTD's Japanese title, which is "Godzilla, Ebirah, Mothra: Big Duel in the South Seas". I think that title is much more accurate than either EHOTD or Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Destroy All Monsters are both classics for a reason, as far as I’m concerned.

Monster Zero and Terror of Mechagodzilla are also up there for me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla Final Wars
Gojira
King Kong Vs Godzilla
Mothra Vs Godzilla
Godzilla's Revenge
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla & Mothra The Battle for Earth
Space Amoeba
Ebirah Horror of the Deep
Godzilla Tokyo SOS
King Kong Escapes
The Return of Godzilla

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Frankenstein Conquers the World, Monster Zero and Destroy All Monsters are all fantastic, pulpy titles that perfectly fit the tone of the movies, even if two of the three things don't actually happen.

I genuinely wish GMK was released as "Godzilla Must Be Killed" in the US. That alone would probably make me like the film a little better.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 pm I genuinely wish GMK was released as "Godzilla Must Be Killed" in the US. That alone would probably make me like the film a little better.
Or maybe Godzilla Must Be Destroyed, as a tribute to one of the Hammer Frankenstein sequels.

Anyway, my favorites are probably:

- Destroy All Monsters
- Godzilla 2000
- Godzilla: Final Wars
- The War of the Gargantuas
- Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 pm .

I genuinely wish GMK was released as "Godzilla Must Be Killed" in the US. That alone would probably make me like the film a little better.
It could be "Godzilla Must Die" in reference to another British film.

Mine are G:KotM, DAM, IotAM, and GMK.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

There's a rumor that TriStar toyed around with "Godzilla Must Be Killed" as a new title for GMK (GMBK is both an acronym and the initials of the four monsters in the film), but I don't know how true it is. I kinda suspect there's some truth to it but it's been "telephoned" so much that the way it's told now is incorrect and misleading. Mike Schlesinger may be the guy to ask about it, but I don't think he's on social media anymore.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

In no particular order: Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla: Final Wars, Tokyo SOS, Godzilla Raids Again, Giant Monsters All Out Attack.

Godzilla Must Be Destroyed is amazing though.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Zombi 34: The Communist Bull-Monster. Pulgasari's totally legit Pakistani title, according to the IMDB. When have they ever been wrong?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm Zombi 34: The Communist Bull-Monster. Pulgasari's totally legit Pakistani title, according to the IMDB. When have they ever been wrong?
They’re on point :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

(in no particular order)
  • The X from Outer Space
  • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
  • Godzilla the Ride: Giant Monsters Ultimate Battle (kinda cheating but it's technically a short film)
  • Gamera: Advent of Legion
  • Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit
  • In The Wake of Giant Monsters
  • Pacific Rim: Maelstrom (unused title for Uprising)

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Gamera 3's alternate title of Incomplete Struggle has always stood out to me. It's mysterious. It's generally how I refer to the movie now.
Resized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:44 pm Gamera 3's alternate title of Incomplete Struggle has always stood out to me. It's mysterious. It's generally how I refer to the movie now.
My memory is that this was the most prevalent title in the fandom prior to the ADV release. And the Japanese title is good, too: "Iris (with the characters that traditionally read "Evil God") Awakens" -- very apocalyptic.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I could have sworn the accepted American title of G3 for quite a while was "Awakening of Iris". I dont remember "Incomplete Struggle" being much of a thing.

Can we at least all agree that direct translations of the Japanese titles of the second and third movies in the Mothra trilogy would have been so much better than that "Rebirth" nonsense?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm Can we at least all agree that direct translations of the Japanese titles of the second and third movies in the Mothra trilogy would have been so much better than that "Rebirth" nonsense?
Yeah, "Rebirth" makes sense for the first one, and maybe even for the third with Leo advancing to a higher form, but definitely doesn't mean anything in the context of the second movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm Can we at least all agree that direct translations of the Japanese titles of the second and third movies in the Mothra trilogy would have been so much better than that "Rebirth" nonsense?
It actually could have been even worse:
In advance of the movie's Japanese release, Toho actually submitted the film to the US copyright office on November 25th, 1996 with the registration number PA0000790667. Four different titles were included as part of the registration, showing uncertainty in terms of what the international title was going to be at this stage. The titles were: Mothra, Mothra II, Mothra vs. Desghidorah and Mothra Resurrected (typo of Mathra in the filing). Almost a year later, on October of 1997, Toho submitted a new filing for the film with the registration number PA0000866947. This one used the now defined international title of Rebirth of Mothra, although included Mothra and Mothra II as title variants.
Had they stuck with "Mothra II" for the 1996 film, then the second and third films in the trilogy would have had English titles "Mothra III" and "Mothra IV."

And I think you might be right, re Gamera 3, but my memory is that Incomplete Struggle was used more frequently then than it is now.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm Had they stuck with "Mothra II" for the 1996 film, then the second and third films in the trilogy would have had English titles "Mothra III" and "Mothra IV."
Well, now I really wish this had happened, simply because I get a weird kick out of explaining weird things like that (such as "Dawn of the Dead"/"Zombi"/"Zombi 2"/"Zombie") to people who only half care. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.