Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:27 am Hot takes…

Heisei Ghidorah > MV Ghidorah
60s Rodan > All others (except 56)
GRA worst film in the franchise (yes even worse than the 2nd Anime one)
I dislike Bio Wars.
ToMG’s MG theme > GvMG2’s
1. Appearance and sound-wise, true.

2. Facts.

3. I personally wouldn't put it so low, but I can't really blame you.

4. When the Great Journey begins, the weight of your heresy shall stay your feet, and you will be left behind.

5. Fair enough.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 pm Gojira isn't horror. It has sad scenes and there were many people in the film afraid but the film is not trying to scare you its trying to educate and warn.
"Horror" isn't defined by being "scary" (that word is more appropriately applied to certain forms of thriller, a genre with which horror frequently crosses over), but by addressing the abject and the uncanny, both of which requirements Gojira fulfills. Whether horror is its dominant aspect is another question, of course.

Added in 3 minutes 59 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:46 pm I'd you told horror buffs you were going to put in a horror film and then out in Gojira your going to piss them off.
Speaking as a "horror buff," I can tell you that your statement may be true of some people, but it's hardly a universal absolute.

Educated horror fans, in fact, often delight in identifying the elements of horror in films that are often classified outside the genre by critics and mainstream audiences. And Gojira isn't even really in that camp - look at the original US advertising for Godzilla - King of the Monsters! and you'll see that it was sold to audiences very much as a horror movie in 1956.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:27 am Hot takes…

Heisei Ghidorah > MV Ghidorah
60s Rodan > All others (except 56)
GRA worst film in the franchise (yes even worse than the 2nd Anime one)
I dislike Bio Wars.
ToMG’s MG theme > GvMG2’s
I have never seen a wronger list of takes.

Okay, I agree with the last one but everything else is blasphemy.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:06 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 pm Gojira isn't horror. It has sad scenes and there were many people in the film afraid but the film is not trying to scare you its trying to educate and warn.
"Horror" isn't defined by being "scary" (that word is more appropriately applied to certain forms of thriller, a genre with which horror frequently crosses over), but by addressing the abject and the uncanny, both of which requirements Gojira fulfills. Whether horror is its dominant aspect is another question, of course.

Added in 3 minutes 59 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:46 pm I'd you told horror buffs you were going to put in a horror film and then out in Gojira your going to piss them off.
Speaking as a "horror buff," I can tell you that your statement may be true of some people, but it's hardly a universal absolute.

Educated horror fans, in fact, often delight in identifying the elements of horror in films that are often classified outside the genre by critics and mainstream audiences. And Gojira isn't even really in that camp - look at the original US advertising for Godzilla - King of the Monsters! and you'll see that it was sold to audiences very much as a horror movie in 1956.
It would be ignorant of me to say Horror buffs in a universal statement as it is impossible for everyone's tastes in a group to like the same thing.

I admit Gojira is a SCI FI Horror, I just wouldn't say its only a horror. Like I say compare it to something like Candayman or the original Nightmare on Elm street. Different feelings from those films. As for how KOTM was billed that still happens today. Lamb was billed as a horror movie.

Added in 2 minutes 5 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:22 pm
Would those same horror buffs be pissed off if you showed them The Invisible Man (1933)? What about The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), or The Fly (1958), or Freaks (1932)?

All of them old, black and white movies largely considered to be horror that nonetheless merge with other genres and/or seek to inform their audience. If any of these count as horror, then why in the world wouldn't Gojira?
What do old Black and White films like that have to do with Gojira having a larger Sci Fi feel to it. Godzilla doesn't go around hunting and killing on purpose. He is a victim that is treated as a natural diasater with us humans being just as responsible for.

Gojira I would say is Sci Fi Horror.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Would those same horror buffs be pissed off if you showed them The Invisible Man (1933)? What about The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), or The Fly (1958), or Freaks (1932)?

All of them old, black and white movies largely considered to be horror that nonetheless merge with other genres and/or seek to inform their audience. If any of these count as horror, then why in the world wouldn't Gojira?
What do old Black and White films like that have to do with Gojira having a larger Sci Fi feel to it. Godzilla doesn't go around hunting and killing on purpose. He is a victim that is treated as a natural diasater with us humans being just as responsible for.

[/quote]

Literally every single example Spuro listed has the main villians as sympathetic victims of circumstances who are pushed to harm others just like Godzilla. (Invisible Man is iffy because Henry is the most willing and eager to cause chaos but the film states that is because he's going insane from the chemicals that made him Invisible rather then him being naturally sadistic)

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:43 pm Added in 2 minutes 5 seconds:
Would those same horror buffs be pissed off if you showed them The Invisible Man (1933)? What about The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), or The Fly (1958) (Not a black and white movie I was wrong), or Freaks (1932)?

I used those movies as examples because they're more contemporary to the time Gojira was produced, as opposed to the 70s/80s/90s horror, which has largely a different feel compared to classic horror.

I also used those movies as examples because they're either Sci Fi Horror films, like Gojira (The Invisible Man, The Fly), or they use their stories to try to push a message to their audience (The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Freaks). It's also worth noting that in all those stories we're meant to sympathize with the beings that the movie might define as "monstrous".

Although I didn't repeat it in those examples above, I did mention it in an earlier post: Frankenstein is a perfect comparison. Classic sci fi horror with a sympathetic monster that humans are responsible for creating, that tries to push a message to its audience.

Also, no one here is claiming Gojira isn't science fiction too. I for one would take it one step further and define it as "Sci Fi Disaster Horror." it can be all those things.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spuro wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:46 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:43 pm Added in 2 minutes 5 seconds:

Would those same horror buffs be pissed off if you showed them The Invisible Man (1933)? What about The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), or The Fly (1958) (Not a black and white movie I was wrong), or Freaks (1932)?

I used those movies as examples because they're more contemporary to the time Gojira was produced, as opposed to the 70s/80s/90s horror, which has largely a different feel compared to classic horror.

I also used those movies as examples because they're either Sci Fi Horror films, like Gojira (The Invisible Man, The Fly), or they use their stories to try to push a message to their audience (The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Freaks). It's also worth noting that in all those stories we're meant to sympathize with the beings that the movie might define as "monstrous".

Although I didn't repeat it in those examples above, I did mention it in an earlier post: Frankenstein is a perfect comparison. Classic sci fi horror with a sympathetic monster that humans are responsible for creating, that tries to push a message to its audience.

Also, no one here is claiming Gojira isn't science fiction too. I for one would take it one step further and define it as "Sci Fi Disaster Horror." it can be all those things.
My point is just that I wouldn't call Gojira a horror movie. I would call it a Sci Fi Horror.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

These two genres frequently get thrown together when telling a story. I recently watched It! Terror from beyond space. You could call this film, and the similar film Alien, both horror and scifi. They contain elements of both that combine well to make a good story. Gojira is the same. I suppose it all comes down to how you view the film and interpret the images, themes, etc.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

A fantastical creature does not decide if something is horror or not. Godzilla is quite clearly framed as a horror movie; the serious dark tone, the atmospheric music, the nightmare imagery and death etc. Just because it has another genre added to it to, does not make it less of a horror movie IMO

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The more days go by the more I grow to dislike DougheGoji. GareGoji should have sticked.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:17 am The more days go by the more I grow to dislike DougheGoji. GareGoji should have sticked.
Preach.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:17 am The more days go by the more I grow to dislike DougheGoji. GareGoji should have sticked.
Objective fact ^^^^^

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I thought this the day the design was revealed.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:40 pm

My point is just that I wouldn't call Gojira a horror movie. I would call it a Sci Fi Horror.

You're missing Spuro's point. As Spuro has stated and shown, Gojira fits in as much as a horror movie as the likes of Frankenstein and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. The disconnect here seems to be you're trying to compare Gojira to more modern horror movies, when what constitutes as Horror has changed greatly over the decades. Horror movies from the 30's to around the early 70's are a vastly different kind of movie from more modern horror movies from the late 70's to the modern day. They are all Horror movies at the end of the day, but there's a notable divide between something like Frankenstein and the Invisible Man, and something like The Thing or Chld's Play or Alien. And Sci-Fi Horror is still horror, just a subsection of it.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:01 pm
There just isn’t anything about how Godzilla vs. Kong actually performed in theaters this year that indicates it was muted by the pandemic to any significant degree.

We can speculate wildly about how much more theatrical business GvsK might have pulled in if it weren’t for the pandemic but that doesn’t amount to anything more than fan speculation. Godzilla fandom in general has a tendency to ignore the reality of Godzilla’s mainstream popularity while vastly overestimating the consumer footprint of dedicated Godzilla fans.
You continue to ignore other circumstances and evidence presented to you why the film could have performed better during normal times. You continue to ignore the people who watched it on HBO MAX or didn't go to the theater due to COVID. I don't think anyone is saying the movie would have made another $300 million during non-COVID times, but to say it had no impact is again wrong. I have read so many industry articles from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, etc that mention the impact COVID had on the industry. How can the first big film out of the gate when a small portion of the country was vaccinated have no impact? Again, its silly.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Earth > Ultima
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:34 pm Earth > Ultima
See the scary part is I have no idea if you are serious or just saying this to fuck with people lol

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm
See the scary part is I have no idea if you are serious or just saying this to fuck with people lol
I’m dead serious. I despise Ultima.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

That's unpopular?

Godzilla Earth had some bad movies but his young days crap all over Ultima.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Jesus, what did to Ultima do to y'all lol

TBH, I can see it. I prefer Ultima but Earth has more character admittedly compared to ol Dusty.

RIP Evan.