Genres Godzilla has yet to do

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Genres Godzilla has yet to do

Post by Al Diplodocus »

We all know Godzilla is no stranger to mixing genres. The franchise and Gojira itself in addition to being its own genre (kaiju) blends the Monster movie, horror, science fiction, and thriller. Ever since then, its dipped its toes into everything from spy movies (GTTHM and TOM), , even Yakuza (Spacegodzilla). Thats not even getting into other mediums of the franchise.

However, for all the wide variety, there are a few yet to be reached. Can anyone name any?
One is the Western. This honestly makes a lot of sense: the average Western work is set way before even the advent of nuclear weapons in a region far away from Japan (and japanese-americans to my knowledge didn't really become prominent until the early 1900's when the setting as we know it was winding down), so its no surprise its never really been done (to my knowledge). The fact that even the largest building in the settings would barely even come up to most kaiju's toes would not help give scale to them (... or maybe it would, at least up close).

Lets face it, the moment you read this thread you wanted to start speculating how genre could be done for Godzilla.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Genres Godzilla has yet to do

Post by Terasawa »

Pink eiga.

And although Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla very briefly includes characters with yakuza ties, I wouldn't say that brings it anywhere close to the yakuza genre.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Personally, I'd like to see a coming-of-age film.

I know we technically already got something sort of like that with Godzilla's Revenge, but I think it'd be cool for the franchise to dip its toes in there again. While Godzilla's Revenge was about monsters existing in a child's imagination, I think it'd be nice if we got a film following an individual throughout the years, from child to adulthood, coping with living an a world of monsters.

Actually, on that note, more movies which take place over a long timespan would be welcome. A film detailing the discovery of Godzilla and other kaiju, and how their existence affected society and history over several decades would be welcome.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Fantasy adventure is something I haven't seen in the franchise. Kaiju could easily take the place of dragons, giants. and other mythical monsters. Mothra and the Shobijin and tailor made for the genre.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:45 amAnd although Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla very briefly includes characters with yakuza ties, I wouldn't say that brings it anywhere close to the yakuza genre.
TV Tropes considers it one. But then again, TV Tropes.

So yeah, an outright crime genre shift would be interesting, kind of like what Dogora did.

One specific kind of crime would be blaxploitation. This shouldn't come as a surprise, since while the US has a large Black population and African culture for these to appeal to, Japan... doesn't, so it has no reason to.
On a more racially sensitive note... racial drama about interracial relations. Now social drama is no stranger to this, to be fair.

Other genres Godzills has only barely dipped toes in are:
- Martial arts (a bit in Final Wars, and we get some in Vs. Mechagodzilla through King Shisa)
- Romance
- Swashbuckler
- Samurai (Daimajin style)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Westerns.
For Emperor and Empire!

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Actually. y'know what? I'd like to see a Godzilla-take on a superhero film. Not a film where Godzilla behaves like a superhero (i.e. late Showa era flicks) but rather a film that features a superhero-type character alongside Godzilla. Could be Zone Fighter or an equivalent Super Sentai character, or alternatively a western-themed superhero.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:36 pm
Terasawa wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:45 amAnd although Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla very briefly includes characters with yakuza ties, I wouldn't say that brings it anywhere close to the yakuza genre.
TV Tropes considers it one. But then again, TV Tropes.

So yeah, an outright crime genre shift would be interesting, kind of like what Dogora did.

One specific kind of crime would be blaxploitation. This shouldn't come as a surprise, since while the US has a large Black population and African culture for these to appeal to, Japan... doesn't, so it has no reason to.
On a more racially sensitive note... racial drama about interracial relations. Now social drama is no stranger to this, to be fair.

Other genres Godzills has only barely dipped toes in are:
- Martial arts (a bit in Final Wars, and we get some in Vs. Mechagodzilla through King Shisa)
- Romance
- Swashbuckler
- Samurai (Daimajin style)
How about Blaxploitation AND Martial Arts? Black Dynamite vs Godzilla, a masterpiece for the ages :lol:

In all seriousness while it is pretty detached from the genre's roots I do feel like a Western could be possible in some capacity? Perhaps instead of having it set during the actual "wild west" period have it as some sort of post-apocalyptic desert wasteland filled with Kaiju. Give it a surrealist vibe akin to older Western Spaghettis or something like Rango in terms of how the everyday lives of people are affected by the presence of Monsters and it could work wonders imo.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:24 amHow about Blaxploitation AND Martial Arts? Black Dynamite vs Godzilla, a masterpiece for the ages :lol:

In all seriousness while it is pretty detached from the genre's roots I do feel like a Western could be possible in some capacity? Perhaps instead of having it set during the actual "wild west" period have it as some sort of post-apocalyptic desert wasteland filled with Kaiju. Give it a surrealist vibe akin to older Western Spaghettis or something like Rango in terms of how the everyday lives of people are affected by the presence of Monsters and it could work wonders imo.
1. That would be awesome.
2. That's just post-apocalypse, and the Monster Planet trilogy did it. Badly, but still did it first already.

Also, how about a full-blown musical Godzilla film instead of one off ones?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

We never got a full on Samurai era Japan Godzilla movie. Why not do that?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:18 am We never got a full on Samurai era Japan Godzilla movie. Why not do that?
This tbh. It would be a great genre twist and could be a fantastic way to incorporate kaiju that are more rooted in Japanese mythology, like King Caesar. Not to mention the perfect ground for a genuinely interesting character cast and plot.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Singular Point was originally supposed to be about Godzilla battling samurai, actually.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's something I'd like to see.

I don't know if this would cross into Yakuza or crime territory, but a noir style mystery set around the solving of a murder or disappearance that occurs during a Godzilla attack.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

It'd be difficult to pull off, but I would unironically love a Godzilla romantic comedy.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:07 pm It'd be difficult to pull off, but I would unironically love a Godzilla romantic comedy.
Ehh, I don't think it could be that difficult to insert romantic comedy elements into a Godzilla film, because a lot of Godzilla films already have a lot of romantic comedy elements.

There's a lot of great set up and hijinks: Meeting in a comedic way during a monster attack/Maybe re-uniting during a "break up" or what not.

You'd just have to tone down violence and death or else you'd have a really bizarre film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It would be cool to tackle the Superhero genre again like in the 70’s with Zone Fighter.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:28 pm It would be cool to tackle the Superhero genre again like in the 70’s with Zone Fighter.
But Godzilla’s already done that.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

A mokumentary would be kinda neat.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Samurai period drama!

Edit: didn’t see this was already suggested. Glad to see I’m not the only one with this idea!

Added in 2 minutes 22 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:13 pm That's something I'd like to see.

I don't know if this would cross into Yakuza or crime territory, but a noir style mystery set around the solving of a murder or disappearance that occurs during a Godzilla attack.
This was what I was going to suggest next!
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Literally any period drama. I’d be down for Godzilla to appear anywhere in history, but like I said a while ago in another thread, a Cold War period drama would be awesome with Godzilla fighting the Soviet Union and have Japan stuck between the two.
For Emperor and Empire!