Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 pm At this point, I don’t know how to express an unpopular and/or controversial opinion around without pissing people off. My autism can cloud my judgement and hinder my skills at expressing myself. If I were to guess, it’s not so much my opinions, but the way I present them. If this is true for you, please let me know. I would also appreciate tips for improving my attitude in the future. ;)
No need to clutter the thread with this, so just PM me some opinions and phrase them however you would in a public post. We'll take it from there as needed.
An Opinion is going to always piss someone off LegendZilla, that's how the world works.

I had a friend in school year ago who was abused by a family friend, she said all child molesters should he castrated and that pissed people off.

Saying all that to say what ever Godzilla opinion you have can't be that bad.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I feel alot of the toho kaiju outside the big 5 have been getting good enough returns in appearances in various media that I think the fandom can calm down about demanding an appearance of a kaiju that haven't been in years. Yes, not all of the Toho kaiju have been in live action appearances, but between short films, anime, and comics we had decent screentime for the toho roster in general. Anguirus was fun in SP and had alot of great showings in the IDW comics. Biollante had three great stories in the idw comics. Jet Jaguar was both fun in both SP and Rulers of Earth. Even Varan and Gorosaurus had good appearances in IDW. Hedorah is getting a short films and all of his appearances in the IDW comics were good.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I really don't count comic book appearances as actual APPEARANCES. But that's just me.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Scorching hot take: The Kinggoji suit is overrated and not that good looking. The frog-like head, big meaty claws, baggy thighs and overall stocky build don't do it for me. I used to like it a lot as a kid, but over time it's fallen out of favor. I find Mosugoji V1, DAM and Megarogoji 74 to be superior.
Last edited by Breakdown on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Breakdown wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:20 pm Scorching hot take: The Kinggoji suit is overrated and not that good looking. The frog-like head, big meaty claws, baggy thighs and overall stocky build don't do it for me. I used to like it a lot as a kid, but over time it's fallen out of favor. I find Mosugoji V1, DAM and Megarogoji 74 to be superior.

Jokes aside, while I love G62 I can see where you come from in regards to the face and weird saggyook in particular. It and 1964 are by far my favorite Showa looks and it's honestly hard for me to choose between both at times, but I will say that MosuGoji does feel like the more coherent and detailed suit design wise overall. Can't beat those iconic brows.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

MosuGoji is the perfect look for a malevolent version of Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:11 pm MosuGoji is the perfect look for a malevolent version of Godzilla.
Were you around for the best Godzilla suit tournament?

I can assure you this is no unpopular opinion.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Yeah, the Kinggoji suit is a bit odd-looking IMHO, and the MosuGoji suit may be the best Godzilla design from the Showa era.
Friends don't lie.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Breakdown wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:20 pm Scorching hot take: The Kinggoji suit is overrated and not that good looking. The frog-like head, big meaty claws, baggy thighs and overall stocky build don't do it for me.
I agree. In fact, I'd say KingGoji is near the bottom of my design ranking.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

On the topic of Godzilla designs, not sure if this is considered an unpopular opinion but out of both variations of the 89-91 suit I honestly prefer the former by just a small margin. Idk, just always liked BioGoji's more expressive features more than GhidoGoji's perpetually angry looking face, not to mention that it also isn't as bulky (but still massive). Both are still amazing suits tho, absolute best of the Heisei series imo.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH GhidoGoki being bulkier makes a.bit more sense when you remember he just got hit by a full on nuclear submarine lol.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Dv-218 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:47 am On the topic of Godzilla designs, not sure if this is considered an unpopular opinions but out of both variations of the 89-91 suit I honestly prefer the former by just a small margin. Idk, just always liked BioGoji's more expressive features more than GhidoGoji's perpetually angry looking face, not to mention that it also isn't as bulky (but still massive). Both are still amazing suits tho, absolute best of the Heisei series imo.
Facts. I don't like the weird crest he has, his ridiculously huge chest or his saggy shins.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

While I prefer BioGoji to GhidoGoji just by a hair Toho did a great job in making GhidoGoji look like the same suit but upped to the next level of power. BioGoji is a Light-heavyweight and GhidoGoji is the Heavyweight version.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 am While I prefer BioGoji to GhidoGoji just by a hair Toho did a great job in making GhidoGoji look like the same suit but upped to the next level of power. BioGoji is a Light-heavyweight and GhidoGoji is the Heavyweight version.
Yeah, I can agree with this sentiment. It sold the whole "power upgrade" aspect rather well. Idk, I guess I just find Bio to be visually more striking with his look and overall frame.
I was about to mention the suit being stolen and recovered being a possible reason to why the GvKG design looks slightly different but then I remembered it actually happened after that lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

On the suits, MogeGoji is hands down my favorite suit. I feel that it is the best of the Hesei suits, and is the most iconic design overall. I feel that it has the best proportions of the Hesei era, being bulky but not too bulky, still muscular and broad. Also, I really like the bigger eyes as well
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

My ranking of Heisei suits:

1. RadoGoji
2. 84Goji
3. MoguGoji/DesuGoji
4. BioGoji
5. GhidoGoji
6. BatoGoji
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I find Fire Godzilla to be better than Burning Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

On the topic of suits, I find MekaGyakushuGoji better than any suit post-89 (besides possibly DesuGoji).
For Emperor and Empire!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Breakdown wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:20 pm Scorching hot take: The Kinggoji suit is overrated and not that good looking. The frog-like head, big meaty claws, baggy thighs and overall stocky build don't do it for me. I used to like it a lot as a kid, but over time it's fallen out of favor. I find Mosugoji V1, DAM and Megarogoji 74 to be superior.
Honestly, truth. The design never really resonated with me and of the Showa suits I'd rank it near the bottom.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

KingGoji isn’t great as a Godzilla design, but it’s the quintessential ‘B-Monster Movie’ design. It fits in with late 50s-early 60s monster designs so well and it encapsulates the essence of those films, especially stop motion ones from the United States.
For Emperor and Empire!