Unpopular Kaiju Suits/Designs you Like

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Kaiju Suits/Designs you Like

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:24 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:09 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:19 pm RPO Mechagodzilla is generic and has no defining features. At least MVMG has those ridiculous arms.
I disagree. For one, just because it doesn’t have “defining features” doesn’t mean it’s generic—especially with a character as iconic as MechaGodzilla. Legendary’s Godzilla has no real “defining features” aside from being Godzilla—but that certainly does not make him generic. He still looks revamped for a modern audience and absolutely badass to behold. Ready Player One MechaGodzilla is just the same; he’s got a newly designed head and teeth, a very Legendary Godzilla-inspired physique and dorsal plates, but he’s still unmistakably MechaGodzilla. He doesn’t look like a Grimlock rip-off or any other robot dinosaur from pop-culture; one look at him and you know exactly who he is, just as the same with Legendary’s Godzilla.
Just an anecdote. When I went to the cinema to watch RPO, I took some of my irl friends, who are big on Godzilla. When MG showed up on screen, my friends and I didn’t know who it was, until Artemis said it’s name aloud. Isn’t that a wee bit telling?
I guess they just have different taste.

I knew the moment I saw his face that it was him. Hell, I know plenty of people that absolutely freaked out the same way I did the moment he materialized.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I love the Showa Gyaos.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Same. While the Heisei Gyaos are cool on their own right I always liked Showa's "Kaiju Dracula" feel, down to how it folds it's wings and the imposing frame coupled with all of the Vampire features.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:54 am Same. While the Heisei Gyaos are cool on their own right I always liked Showa's "Kaiju Dracula" feel, down to how it folds it's wings and the imposing frame coupled with all of the Vampire features.
Oh, yeah, the Heisei version was a fantastic update. I think the original might not get as much love because it's not photo-realistic (not that they were striving for that in Gamera vs. Gyaos), but I think they're both cool as hell.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hedorah from GFW.

While I think the original Hedorah is a simplistically amazing design, I like the GFW design a lot, or at least I recently realized it after the spotlight was paid attention to it. I think it retains all the design choices of the original design, while retaining some subtly new and fantastic differences. I really like the sulfuric streams/vents, and the textures. It's body is also cool. I think the OG Hedorah is a classic for sure, but this recent emergence of the suit has made me appreciate probably the only monster that loses to the Giant Condor in a fight way more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:41 am I love the Showa Gyaos.

Wait, the showa Gyaos is unpopular?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 am

The line used to be "Heisei Gyaos GUD, Showa Gyaos BAD"
Thankfully I think we're a much more cultured people now.

I have to admit I like the MusukoGoji a lot for some reason. He's got chutzpah and charm.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 am Wait, the showa Gyaos is unpopular?
Seems that way to me, but I've long since given up trying to determine what truly is or isn't popular in this fandom (much less on this site).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:11 am
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 am

The line used to be "Heisei Gyaos GUD, Showa Gyaos BAD"
Thankfully I think we're a much more cultured people now.

I have to admit I like the MusukoGoji a lot for some reason. He's got chutzpah and charm.
I can't get over the fact that he looks like a Godzilla-fied version of Homer Simpson. His design is pretty dumb looking but just because of that I cannot bring myself to fully hate it. He's hilarious :lol:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

In the "at home with Minya" scenes, MusukoG has this really unappealingly wide face.

Resized Image

According to a Japanese blog (and I'm not certain how accurate this is), the staff affected some sort of repairs or re-sculpt to the head for the rest of the filming.

Resized Image

I think the latter look is alright, although it's my least favorite of the '60s Godzillas (but that's also because '62, '64, and '68 are all great). I actually prefer it to the deteriorated DaisensoGoji as seen in the Red Bamboo base siege in Ebirah (but not the pristine version of that costume in Monster Zero). I still maintain that the worst thing about MusukoG in Son of Godzilla is that Haruo Nakajima wasn't in the costume.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Shoulda just made the 68 suit one year early.

I like Zigra's design more than anything else produced by Daiei. Yup.
For Emperor and Empire!

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Gezora. As awkwardly as that suit forced Nakajima to move (not to mention its floppy head), I've always loved the sculpt and the way the long tentacles move as it shambles through the jungle. Got to hand it to Toho for originality if nothing else (and for how thoroughly Gezora puts Viras to shame.)

If only they'd replaced those yellow and red eyes with something less wacky. Solid black like Rodan's in '56 would have been cool, or even just light-up red with black irises.

I was delighted to get the Bandai Museum figure of this critter... and Marusan's ain't half bad, either.
Last edited by DoctorMafune on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

‘84 is probably in my top 3 designs. I didn’t realize it wasn’t very popular.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:10 pm ‘84 is probably in my top 3 designs. I didn’t realize it wasn’t very popular.
I think some get put off by the very large eyes that could be seen as clashing with the otherwise scary looking suit.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Desghidorah wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:10 pm ‘84 is probably in my top 3 designs. I didn’t realize it wasn’t very popular.
I think some get put off by the very large eyes that could be seen as clashing with the otherwise scary looking suit.
The 84 suit looks best when the eyes aren't visible due to lighting, it makes the eyes look really sunken and spooky. Otherwise they look incredibly goofy in some scenes.

I've warmed up a lot to the 1955 suit. It would be top-tier if it wasn't for the awful head. Swap it out with 54's and it would be top 5 easily.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I’ve also warmed up to the ‘55. Jury is still out for me though, I can never make up my mind on it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:23 am I’ve also warmed up to the ‘55. Jury is still out for me though, I can never make up my mind on it.
Ditto. Can’t wait for the tournament! This will be the greatest TK event since… the last one.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:09 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:23 am I’ve also warmed up to the ‘55. Jury is still out for me though, I can never make up my mind on it.
Ditto. Can’t wait for the tournament! This will be the greatest TK event since… the last one.
Lmao right! I may bump it up if I get all the graphics done in time. I thought it would take longer.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

MogeGoji is my favorite of the Heisei designs
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

MogeGoji1994 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:59 pm MogeGoji is my favorite of the Heisei designs
At first I thought you said RadoGoji for whatever reason and was prepared to rage. MogeGoji, IIRC was the face (or at least one of the most featured suits) of the franchise for years, but appears to have recently fallen out of favor.