Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:58 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 pm Varan was still one of only 4 toho monsters to have a solo film by the time Ghidorah would have been started.
Sorry to revive this discussion, but...

Resized Image

Dogora release date: August 11. GtTHM first draft cover date: August 27.
So Dogora and Ghidorah vs Godzilla Rodan, Mothra and Varan. Sounds like a lot more money lol.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

This might be more of a Hot take but here it goes

I still think there is too much gatekeeping in this fandom by a lot of fans(and no I'm not talking about anyone hear in particular so if you feel I am that's a you problem you should think about.)
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:04 pm This might be more of a Hot take but here it goes

I still think there is too much gatekeeping in this fandom by a lot of fans(and no I'm not talking about anyone hear in particular so if you feel I am that's a you problem you should think about.)
Well, in a fandom that’s coming on 70 years old it’s bound to happen.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Actually, I think the fandom is actually quite decent about gatekeeping. Yeah there is some, but that exists in every fandom, and I can say I've seen other groups where it gets much more toxic. While there are certainly the members with their strong opinions (myself included), and I have been called a fake fan for not liking/disliking the right films (not here though), I think the g-fandom is one of the most open to the idea of like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, we've got a whole slew of content that is so tonally, aesthetically, and conceptually varied, please find what attracts you and dig in.
He Jock it Made of Steel

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I've been more of a casual fan from 2003 on, to be honest. I was pretty hardcore up until 2001.

Question: How does Gatekeeping work within in the Godzilla fandom?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I haven't seen that much here or on the previous kaiju sub board I've visited.

Most of the strong opinions I've seen occur around certain movies or preferences for the Showa or Heisei films. Generally, though, most people seem open minded with the fandom. There's so much content and different ideas that there's something for everyone to like or dislike.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

I like the PS4 Godzilla game (kind of late to say that now with the PS5 out, but with it being so rare because of a shortage I think there's room to talk). I just like the feel of the game, being a giant walking around destroy everything in sight and fighting other kaiju. The controls are simple so you can just pick it up and play whenever you want. That being said, it technically isn't a good game. If I were to improve the game, I'd go about it like so;

1: Give the game some variety, something it desperately needed. We had a pretty varied roster here, something should have been done with them. Instead of chasing "Generators" (submarines if I remember correctly), how about having specific kaiju going underwater and find them while fighting the military and possible bosses? Maybe having flying kaiju like Mothra enter flying stages similar to the ones from "Save The Earth" where fly through the air fighting aliens and kaiju (this idea could also work for Gigan and those that can go through space). There are tools that can be explored to make a fun game with just a little imagination.

2: The giant kaiju are BULL*bleep*. I get that these are supposed to be stronger than the average kaiju (searches through web), Atari , but making them unstoppable threats that you can only shoot and try to run away from is infuriating. I might've thought of a way that can work better. Your defense move (a nuclear pulse for example) not only pushes them away but makes them back away for a moment. The long range attack, meanwhile, does real damage to them knocking them down. Strong melee hurts him, but you have to be careful because they have defense as well. Suddenly, spraying and praying with nothing else to it becomes a game of needing to know when to be aggressive and when cautious.

This game, while still being an acquired taste since it's based on the Heisei way of moving as well as other issues I could be missing, could've been better than it was. As is, while I can't truly call this a good game, I can at least say I had fun with it.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I want Pacific Rim (not to mention The Meg and Rampage) to have NOTHING to do with the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

H-Man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 am I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I want Pacific Rim (not to mention The Meg and Rampage) to have NOTHING to do with the MonsterVerse.
This should go in the very popular opinion thread.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

There's a lot of people who want PR in the MV, whereas stuff like The Meg/Rampage/Gwangi seem to be fringe opinions.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:12 pm There's a lot of people who want PR in the MV, whereas stuff like The Meg/Rampage/Gwangi seem to be fringe opinions.
You thought we wouldn't notice you sneaking Gwangi in there :lol:

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:26 pmYou thought we wouldn't notice you sneaking Gwangi in there :lol:
#NeverGiveUpHope #SignThePetition

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I want to go back in time to slap Ray Harryhausen for giving us Gwangi and making his fans think he's that OP because it dragged a horse and some other feats :lol:
Last edited by goji89 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm I want to go back in time to slap Ray Harryhausen for giving us Gwangi and making his fans think he's that OP because it dragged a horse and some other feats :lol:
He can lift a man.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

He's a regular-ass dinosaur who can do regular-ass dinosaur things. If that's not qualification for the MuensterVerse, I don't know what is.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:49 pm
goji89 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm I want to go back in time to slap Ray Harryhausen for giving us Gwangi and making his fans think he's that OP because it dragged a horse and some other feats :lol:
He can lift a man.
He can lift one but he will never be one...truly the saddest part of the Gwangi life.

Added in 11 minutes 18 seconds:
Bone, Bone, Bone, Bone
Bone, Bone, Bone, Bone, Bone
Now tell me, what ya gonna do

When it ain't nowhere to be fossilized
When cowboys and their horses comes for you
When cowboys and their horses comes for you?
Now tell me, what ya gonna do

When it ain't nowhere to be mummified
When they come with their ropes and pistols
'Cause they gonna come for you?

Lol

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?
Nope, it's real.

There are people out there that actually believe Gwangi can be on par with some Kaiju if you just make him kaiju size, going into details about his feats In the movie and if he were bigger he'd be some tough opponent.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

goji89 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:03 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:49 pmHe can lift a man.
He can lift one but he will never be one
Damn bro, that's cold.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Is this the Unpopular Gwangi Opinions thread now?

Gwangi might be my least favorite Harryhausen film, or at least right there at the bottom with Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.