Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:05 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:04 pm Preferring things plain does not necessarily mean bad taste.
No, but it is pretty boring.
As long as people with different tastes can get their turns.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't know if '70s Godzilla could honestly be called 'vanilla'. He gets a lot of slack in Showa-tolerant circles because he's old, but he's every bit as out there as anything the Reiwa movies have featured.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:17 pm I don't know if '70s Godzilla could honestly be called 'vanilla'. He gets a lot of slack in Showa-tolerant circles because he's old, but he's every bit as out there as anything the Reiwa movies have featured.
The definitive Godzilla for me (at least in terms of characterization) is HeiseiGoji. Plus, I know things went a tad too far in ‘73 with Megalon, but they at least made up for it in the last two entries of the Showa era. They did so by treating Godzilla more like a monster again, albeit a slightly more friendly one.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It could be argued 70s Godzilla is the most "out there" the character has ever gone. He was practically a super hero by that point.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's exactly what he was. Godzilla was no longer feared, but sought out when kaiju attacked. When he arrives in movies like vs Hedorah, vs MG, and ToMG, it screams " I'm here to save the day."
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

To be the "stock" idea of what Godzilla is is basically Heisei Godzilla. A creature born of atomic power, general anti-hero demeanor (Not a friend to humans, but is the lesser of two evils against more malevolent monsters) with a pretty standard array of abilities. Nothing too deliberately out there like magnetic attraction, tail/dorsal rays or evolution mutation.

I am fine with either stock or more experimental Godzilla personally.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla is everything save 98. GtS fixes a lot of Godzilla's problems. He js allegory for nuclear weapons and war, he is a Super hero who is the last line of defense Earth has.

He is a father, a friend a meance and everything in between. You don't get to be a 60 year franchise by staying the same for every film.

98 would be like redesigning Darth Vader and then you take the Force and his lightsaber away. It's too much.

When Gts restored the personality and the powers people were able to look past the design somewhat.

Had G98 been a live action version of the first 3 episodes of GtS we likely would have had the Sony trilogy, the Godzilla 2000 would have happened in 04/05 and likely no Monsterverse.

G98 however had too much against, new design, boring movie, loss of powers and personality. There was nothing to hold fans there.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

Unpopular opinion: I think Godzilla vs. Megalon (while I enjoy it) is incredibly overhyped and overrated.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

EternalMothra wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 am Unpopular opinion: I think Godzilla vs. Megalon (while I enjoy it) is incredibly overhyped and overrated.
By who? :lol: It has a ton of fans, but I think most acknowledge that it's dirt-cheap and bottom of the barrel as an actual movie. It just saves itself by being entertainingly bad, and really fun at a few key points.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:58 am
EternalMothra wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 am Unpopular opinion: I think Godzilla vs. Megalon (while I enjoy it) is incredibly overhyped and overrated.
By who? :lol: It has a ton of fans, but I think most acknowledge that it's dirt-cheap and bottom of the barrel as an actual movie. It just saves itself by being entertainingly bad, and really fun at a few key points.
You do make an excellent point. I do suppose most of the people who love it do acknowledge those qualities. Haha. :Megalon:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah like, GVMegalon is one of my favorite Godzilla movies but it's very clearly a victim of extremely-slashed budget and limited time to film so I wouldn't try arguing for its superiority to other, more polished films in the series.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

....what?

I LOVE this movie but...overhyped and overrated? By who?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Megalon is the reason people make fun of Godzilla to this day, I will never know why out of all the Showa movies that's the one that got the big network push.

It's ansonbad it's fun movie and I won't lie the kid in me comes out after time Godzilla finally makes that March to get to the fight but I've never seen anyone overhype the film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

No one has ever claimed that vs Megalon is a good movie. It's a ridiculous and cheap movie, but a fun one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:52 am Megalon is the reason people make fun of Godzilla to this day,
Godzilla and Japanese monster movies were made fun of ages before Megalon was released, although its big and successful release (and subsequent exposure when it was believed to be public domain) exacerbated the issue. But I think the "damage" it alone did to the character and franchise is exaggerated a bit -- as I said, critics and fans were picking these movies apart years before.
I will never know why out of all the Showa movies that's the one that got the big network push.
I mean, that could have been for any number of reasons, but the fact that the film ran in a 1-hour time slot with commercials and filler segments starring Belushi should tell you it wasn't a "big network push." I think it was probably viewed as advantageous for both Cinema Shares and NBC -- the former had scored a hit and was prepping two more Godzilla films for '77/'78, so perhaps they went to NBC to secure a prime time network premiere to help keep "their" Godzilla in the public spotlight (and the timing of the broadcast would have tied in nicely with the first general release of Godzilla vs. the Bionic Monster); and because Belushi was tapped, I suspect NBC was mainly using it as a promotional tool for SNL while only giving up an hour of their schedule.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Rodan does not need to be as strong as Godzilla to be interesting.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:57 pm Rodan does not need to be as strong as Godzilla to be interesting.
Agreed, 1000%.

SP and the Monsterverse proved this EASILY, let alone GVMG2.

RIP Evan.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:57 pm Rodan does not need to be as strong as Godzilla to be interesting.
Not sure this is an unpopular opinion. Rodman has never been as strong as Goji.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I half-agree, half-disagree, but respect your opinion 1000%.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I have an unpopular opinion to add onto that one. Showa Rodan isn’t as strong as Showa Godzilla. I could go off on a FM-based tangent to explain my reasoning, but I think a more narrative-based monologue will be more broad reaching.

Rodan vs Godzilla is very clearly not some battle to the death, in any way. It’s a irritated slap fight between two grouchy dudes, at least half the fight is just played for laughs with them flailing about like idiots. They never do anything serious to each other, it’s kaiju slapstick. The (filmmaker intended) savagery of Raids Again is nowhere to be found here, whereas it still clung on in places during KKvG and Mothra vs Godzilla. And once Ghidorah arrives, the only thing Rodan does to Ghidorah that does more than annoy him is a full-body ram that leaves Rodan curled up behind a boulder, shaking in fear as gravity bolts come at him. Aforementioned ram… doesn’t do anything to Ghidorah. Narratively or physically. Compare that to Godzilla sticking it out close-up with Ghidorah a few times and ultimately getting the finishing blow by hurling his golden ass off a cliff. Once the jokes end and the main fight of the movie begins, Godzilla does way more work than Rodan, hell Rodan ends up just lifting Mothra up to help her do more work.

In Astro Monster, Godzilla still ends up clearly doing more against Ghidorah with Rodan just playing support. Godzilla even tackles Ghidorah like Rodan did in the previous movie, and it has more of an effect, pinning Ghidorah to the ground and clearly being a big hit.

Then DAM rolls around and Rodan doesn’t even do anything. He just gets zapped and leaves the fight.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.