The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Legion1979 »

To be honest, untagged early 90s versions of both these figures are common enough. Their use here doesn't bother me.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I dont like vintage figures being destroyed and I especially dont like them being destroyed for very poorly done customs.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

To be fair, loose Bandai figures aren't all that uncommon, especially if you find them with minor cracks or broken parts. This guy might've been using junk figures as the base.

I'm ultimately not going to judge people for what they choose to do with their collections; it's their money. That being said, the final results for customs are often shoddy and very crudely done. Choosing to use more expensive figures can be risky, but I don't know if I'd call it cringey.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I guess thats fair. I dont know enough about the process behind making this one, so maybe it was damaged, but for the most part I do find a lot of customs to be cringe, particularly ones that are obviously worse than the original figure. This one at least has something interesting going on, but Ive seen a few where people paint old figures way worse than they looked before.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:43 pm This hurts me a bit
Why did you have to use such old, iconic figures, and the finished product doesnt even look good.
I get the pain, but Imo it's super cool. Shame we haven't seen a "half-step" featured in more Godzilla media between the Fake Godzilla and regular Godzilla form.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Voyager wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:11 pm Not really cringe, per say, but it's very awkward and nostalgic for many.

Who remembers this?
Oh, God. I remember that video. I use to watch it so many times as kid. I'm surprised that same upload of the commercial is still on YouTube.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

This fandom can't meme. r/Godzilla is some epic cringe.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:48 am This fandom can't meme. r/Godzilla is some epic cringe.
Oh man I've seen some real godawful Godzilla memes over the years, especially since KOTM came out.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 am
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:48 am This fandom can't meme. r/Godzilla is some epic cringe.
Oh man I've seen some real godawful Godzilla memes over the years, especially since KOTM came out.
The Godzilla Reddit has become pretty much useless since KOTM released. Before that it occasionally had some interesting content/news regarding the movies and whatnot. But now it's more or less a page straight off of Tumblr.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^ Congratulations, you three! You just made it to r/Godzilla. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

It seems like r/Godzilla doesnt like TK very much. I'll write here what I essentially wrote there: I find that, for the most part, both TK and the Godzilla reddit are fine. However, the reddit feels largely more like a "Monsterverse" fandom recently, whereas in my experience TK has more people that care about the whole of the franchise. Also, Godzilla on reddit memes for the most part feel extremely low effort, but I might not be the best judge of that considering I am a gen Zer who DIED LAUGHING at a piece of bread falling over.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This was ages ago but I made an r/Godzilla rant and put it on the subreddit. It made the rounds, and it was eventually taken down. People called me "boomer" and whatnot. Good times.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:13 pm Also, Godzilla on reddit memes for the most part feel extremely low effort, but I might not be the best judge of that considering I am a gen Zer who DIED LAUGHING at a piece of bread falling over.
Lol. Sometimes low effort memes can work, but whatever is going on in that sub-reddit...man. It's a lesson in anti-comedy.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I took a stroll through r/Godzilla. Here’s what I saw.

>Some good art, some decent art (not getting much recognition).
>Cookie Cutter threads about monster and movie discussions.
>Milk-Toast opinions framed as “unpopular”, but really the whole subreddit agrees with.
>Bad fan art (e.g. Five Nights at Godzillas)
>Bad memes.
>”Memes”. I put that in quotation marks because one was literally just a (poorly made) drawing of these two OCs fighting, and the title of the post was in all caps saying “KRIS I LIKE BEING A KAIJU BUT WHERE TF ARE WE” and it was labelled as a meme.

I’m now truely convinced that portion of the fandom doesn’t know how memes work. Oh, and when they’re not doing any of the above they just wank the MonsterVerse.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

r/Godzilla is just way too casual. It's not a venue for any sort of nuanced discussion on these movies.

I understand why some people like that, but for me it's a turn off.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Voyager wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 am >”Memes”. I put that in quotation marks because one was literally just a (poorly made) drawing of these two OCs fighting, and the title of the post was in all caps saying “KRIS I LIKE BEING A KAIJU BUT WHERE TF ARE WE” and it was labelled as a meme.
Those aren't OCs, they're characters from Deltarune, the Undertale follow-up game. There's a meme going around Twitter and such with two characters from the game going to different universes.

Won't argue against anything else here just wanted to clarify that point.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:31 am r/Godzilla is just way too casual. It's not a venue for any sort of nuanced discussion on these movies.

I understand why some people like that, but for me it's a turn off.
That's the main thing for me. Unlike certain vocal individuals here, I have nothing against r/Godzilla, it's just a matter of personal preference that I prefer the structure and layout of an internet forum and the discussions and sense of community that result from it.

On Reddit you can't exactly search up a topic like you can here. You have to dig through subjects you might not be interested in, like fan art or memes, to find what you want. There's no categorizing of subjects, no organization, just everything lumped together that you can sort by "Hot, New or Top." You can't easily find a group of like-minded individuals like you can here; the community is too big and too casual for that, and the lack of avatars winds up rendering everyone faceless and somewhat "anonymous." The upvote/downvote system results in only the popular, perhaps stale discussions making it to the top while interesting new takes or opinions get left behind.

It's fun for a casual experience when you're bored with nothing to do and you have your phone on you, but a subreddit just can't replace a good ol' fashioned internet forum; even if this one has its share of problems.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think Terasawa wasn't commenting on what makes a general Reddit experience different from a message board. He was commenting on the overall quality, complexity and deepness of the Godzilla-related conversations that can be had on Reddit in comparison to a board like this. You want to actually talk about the movies? I mean really TALK about them on anything close to an intellectual level? Well, Reddit isn't for you.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't think the medium really has anything to do with it as I've had plenty of good discussions on Reddit, it's just that it's not as "mature" of a community as a Facebook group or TK.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

This thread is cringe because the majority of it lately is just people upset that other places aren't enjoying the franchise the same way they do.

Cringe I tell you.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61: