Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't mind the 1955 suit, really. It's unique in its base design and structure but I don't think it does anything really stand-out to crack above the mid-tier of suits for me.

I think there's a shameful lack of good close-up shots of it in the film, however. The dismal puppets are all I can really remember.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

FWIW, my favorite Showa-era Godzilla suit (aside from 1954) is probably MosuGoji.

And am I the only one who would love to read the original novel The Luminous Fairies & Mothra? Its such a shame that not has it never been translated into English, but its last Japanese reprint was back in 1994 and is pricey on the secondhand market.

Since this year marks the 60 anniversary of the film (and next year marks the 60th anniversary of its American release), I genuinely wonder if its possible to drum up interest for an official translation.
Friends don't lie.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I think the '55 suit is underrated.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:30 pm 98 Godzilla isn't completely insufferable. If you view it as an inferior remake of Bf20,000F, then it's not all bad.
No. Its a bad movie period. Giant plot holes, amateur acting, etc. The whole "if you don't view it as a Godzilla film its actually good!" is wrong.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont get this whole "Don't call it Godzilla and it's a good movie" thing. If we pretend it's not a Godzilla movie it's still terrible. Even Rifftrax couldn't make this watchable.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

'98 would still be a bad movie if it had a different name, but I don't think the overwhelming majority of kaiju fans would be anywhere near as hard on it. Its good points (and anyone who says there aren't any is lying) would see much more appreciation, and I think most would be inclined to overlook/go easy on its bad points.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If it wasn't a Godzilla film people wouldn't be sitting around trying to find its good points or defend it in the first place. The only reason anyone sticks up for it at all is because it's got Godzilla in it. If it was just some random late 90s giant monster film with no Godzilla connection no one would really be talking about it at all.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Eh, I think you're both right. It wouldn't be talked about nearly as much, but it wouldn't be hated as much either.

I only watch it every five years or so, but I enjoy it every time I do. It's a terrible movie that's fun to watch IMO
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:49 am If it wasn't a Godzilla film people wouldn't be sitting around trying to find its good points or defend it in the first place. The only reason anyone sticks up for it at all is because it's got Godzilla in it. If it was just some random late 90s giant monster film with no Godzilla connection no one would really be talking about it at all.
I think people would still stick up for it out of nostalgia, Godzilla or not. A lot of people grew up with that film and its merchandise; and a lot of kids like dinosaurs and dinosaur movies.

I believe Dean Devlin is on record saying that kids most often call G98 their favorite of his films, and I’d doubt most of them are classic Godzilla fans.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Hell for monster fans is our normal everyday lives but the only two Kaiju movies are G98 and King Kong lives.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

John Pannozzi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:06 pm

And am I the only one who would love to read the original novel The Luminous Fairies & Mothra? Its such a shame that not has it never been translated into English, but its last Japanese reprint was back in 1994 and is pricey on the secondhand market.

Since this year marks the 60 anniversary of the film (and next year marks the 60th anniversary of its American release), I genuinely wonder if its possible to drum up interest for an official translation.
If I could find it, I would read it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The only thing calling it something other then Godzilla does is means it's Emmerich's own update of a 50s monster movie, bad or good, instead of what it actually is: him doing that badly while also messing up a monster he CLEARLY doesn't get because name value/he thinks he can do it better

RIP Evan.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Here's an excerpt about G98 from David Kalat's book on the series. While I don't necessarily agree with every aspect of this take, I've always found it interesting:
Godzilla fans - and this author most decidedly counts himself in this camp - habitually gloss over the little deficiencies and missteps of any given Godzilla flick, to focus on the most enjoyable aspects instead. We forgive ludicrous nonsense-science, under-developed characters, overwritten melodrama, awkward dubbing, visible wires, wrinkles in the rubber suits of the monsters - we forgive these because we love the whole, and such glitches are never grievous enough to disrupt the pleasure we take in all that is right. We got good at loving Godzilla warts and all...but never stopped longing for one without the warts. It was not unreasonable to expect that a major Hollywood studio with twenty times as much money at play and all the institutional resources of a team accustomed to manufacturing crowd-pleasing blockbusters would have the ability to finally make a Godzilla movie that needed no excuse.

TriStar's team spent all that money, made all that bombastic noise, pushed around licensing partners and exhibitors like a playground bully, and yet delivered a film of flaws and limited ambition. A film with warts.

Godzilla's flaws may not have been any greater than any committed by Toho before. That they were there at all, though, was unforgivable.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know most of you feel that all it takes for Godzilla to work is merely looking and acting the part. For myself, it takes a little more than just that.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:28 pm I know most of you feel that all it takes for Godzilla to work is merely looking and acting the part. For myself, it takes a little more than just that.
I might be taking this wrong but this sure does sound like you're saying that "most of you" have low standards.
For Emperor and Empire!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:00 pm The only thing calling it something other then Godzilla does is means it's Emmerich's own update of a 50s monster movie, bad or good, instead of what it actually is: him doing that badly while also messing up a monster he CLEARLY doesn't get because name value/he thinks he can do it better
I've said it before but this us why I dislike G98 so much. Roland's disrespect and idea that he could do better makes me hate the movie. If he was passionate about Godzilla and it was the exact same movie, I still probably wouldn't like it since, lets face it, it ain't Godzilla, but I wouldn't have the stinging hatred because it's kinda like "well atleast he tried".

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:28 pm I know most of you feel that all it takes for Godzilla to work is merely looking and acting the part. For myself, it takes a little more than just that.

Are you saying you think G98 is a valid incarnation depsite not looking or acting like Godzilla according to the populace?

Bold claim, Legend, but I support it, I guess.

Added in 1 minute 23 seconds:
DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:00 pm The only thing calling it something other then Godzilla does is means it's Emmerich's own update of a 50s monster movie, bad or good, instead of what it actually is: him doing that badly while also messing up a monster he CLEARLY doesn't get because name value/he thinks he can do it better
I've said it before but this us why I dislike G98 so much. Roland's disrespect and idea that he could do better makes me hate the movie. If he was passionate about Godzilla and it was the exact same movie, I still probably wouldn't like it since, lets face it, it ain't Godzilla, but I wouldn't have the stinging hatred because it's kinda like "well atleast he tried".

Agreed. I really, REALLY hate how utterly unabashedly dismissive he was about the entire franchise. Even his talk about the original is nothing but backhanded compliments. And again, as I've said before, this isn't getting into the lowkey racism I read in many of his statements...

RIP Evan.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:28 pm For myself, it takes a little more than just that.
And what would that be?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:52 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:28 pm For myself, it takes a little more than just that.
And what would that be?
Pretty much what he was attribute/origin wise throughout the Showa and Heisei. Vanilla Godzilla. No lost WWII souls, tail-lasers or plant-based origins, ect. Just stating my preference.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:04 pm Preferring things plain does not necessarily mean bad taste.
No, but it is pretty boring.