"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by edgaguirus »

The Megavolt monsters also breathed in and out of water just fine. As a kid show, the writers and animators likely didn't think that people would notice or talk about it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Heisei Ghidorah is a tragic villian; his Dorat incarnation loved his owners as a puppy would, unlike the Godzillasaurus who was only protecting his territory. The futurians betrayed a childlike creature which truly loved them. I kind of wish Ghidorah got a "Shindo" scene with the Futurians.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Breakdown wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm Heisei Ghidorah is a tragic villian; his Dorat incarnation loved his owners as a puppy would, unlike the Godzillasaurus who was only protecting his territory. The futurians betrayed a childlike creature which truly loved them. I kind of wish Ghidorah got a "Shindo" scene with the Futurians.
Wow. That's actually kinda depressing when you put it that way. :(

Speaking of Heisei Ghidorah, the novelization says that the Dorats were (somehow) reversed engineered from an actual alien Ghidorah who's corpse was on Venus. I always wondered if that was canon to the movies.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:11 pm
Breakdown wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm Heisei Ghidorah is a tragic villian; his Dorat incarnation loved his owners as a puppy would, unlike the Godzillasaurus who was only protecting his territory. The futurians betrayed a childlike creature which truly loved them. I kind of wish Ghidorah got a "Shindo" scene with the Futurians.
Wow. That's actually kinda depressing when you put it that way. :(

Speaking of Heisei Ghidorah, the novelization says that the Dorats were (somehow) reversed engineered from an actual alien Ghidorah who's corpse was on Venus. I always wondered if that was canon to the movies.
I feel like it's been a long time since I wheeled this one out:

"If it's not in frame, it doesn't exist."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

There is a lot to Heisei Ghidroah's lore or even a closer inspection to his creation to make him a more compelling character that the film just glosses over.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Wasn't Anguirus/"Angilas" named after "Angirosaurusu", an outdated transliteration of Ankylosaurus?

Perhaps one could argue his Romanized name should really be something like "Ankylas"? I'm only semi-serious here.
Friends don't lie.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

John Pannozzi wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:00 pm Wasn't Anguirus/"Angilas" named after "Angirosaurusu", an outdated transliteration of Ankylosaurus?

Perhaps one could argue his Romanized name should really be something like "Ankylas"? I'm only semi-serious here.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I prefer the "Angilas" spelling (beyond the fact that it's simply a better, cleaner transliteration), because it's at least a little closer to the root word.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

"Anguirus" is just a bad Romanization, period.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 pm "Anguirus" is just a bad Romanization, period.
And it's resulted in some truly hideous pronunciation.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:25 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 pm "Anguirus" is just a bad Romanization, period.
And it's resulted in some truly hideous pronunciation.
One reason why it's such a bad Romanization. :P

Though, to be fair, "Angilas" has given us the horrible "ANGLE-us."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

One that you will never, ever see me use.

As a fan who grew up in the 80s and early 90s, nothing makes me feel more out of touch with Godzilla fandom than seeing how universally accepted so many of Toho's inane Americanized monster names and movie titles are.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I still refuse to call Monster Zero "Invasion of Astro-Monster". Dumb! I like the Japanese title "Great Monster War" best.

Toho has a serious titling problem.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:44 pm I still refuse to call Monster Zero "Invasion of Astro-Monster". Dumb! I like the Japanese title "Great Monster War" best.

Toho has a serious titling problem.
I think I mentally compartmentalize different titles with different versions of the movie. So, in my head, "Invasion of Astro-Monster" is basically the Criterion version (uncut, Japanese credits) with the English dub; whereas the original US release is "Monster Zero"and the Japanese version is "Kaiju Daisenso."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

No version of Godzillas Revenge exists with the English language title "All Monsters Attack". I refuse to use that title.

Of course, since Toho is forcing US distributors to not use most of the old American versions, they can call some of these movies whatever they want, can't they?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't mind Invasion of the Astro-Monsters (which was the intended title for the U.S. release, before it was unexpectedly delayed for over four years), but yeah, "Invasion of Astro-Monster" sucks.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Then, in addition to Anguirus, you have other nonsense like Moguera (which goes completely against the acronym seen in the movie), Kameobas and the mother of all stupid names, Desghidorah.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:24 pm you have other nonsense like Moguera (which goes completely against the acronym seen in the movie)
IMO, the craziest two are Dagahra and Ghogo. When the film was dubbed in 1998, the characters were called "Dagarla" and "Gorgo" (both in the English dubbing and in the credits). But by the time the film was released by TriStar only two years later, Toho had already changed course and trademarked the names "Dagahra" and "Ghogo" for those characters instead.

As for "Kamoebas," as dumb as that is, at least it's the same name they've been using for the character since 1970.

And of course, the dumbest of all is "Black Moth."
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:35 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:24 pm you have other nonsense like Moguera (which goes completely against the acronym seen in the movie)
IMO, the craziest two are Dagahra and Ghogo. When the film was dubbed in 1998, the characters were called "Dagarla" and "Gorgo" (both in the English dubbing and in the credits). But by the time the film was released by TriStar only two years later, Toho had already changed course and trademarked the names "Dagahra" and "Ghogo" for those characters instead.

As for "Kamoebas," as dumb as that is, at least it's the same name they've been using for the character since 1970.

And of course, the dumbest of all is "Black Moth."
Isn't the official name for Black Moth Griffon?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:35 pm As for "Kamoebas," as dumb as that is, at least it's the same name they've been using for the character since 1970.
With "Kamoebas" I think they're wildly overestimating the average English speaker's ability to determine from context how to pronounce the "oe" letter pairing. Most people's first instinct is not to go with "oe" as in "amoeba," and I'm pretty sure that was what Toho was going for (alternately "oe" as "Moebius," but English-speakers generally foul that one up).
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

godjacob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Isn't the official name for Black Moth Griffon?
In the name article, the winged lion was meant to be called Kroiga, after the owner of the kaiju's brain. Black Moth is the English translation of Kroiga; Kuroi (black) and Ga (moth).
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.