Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Terasawa »

Spuro wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:20 pm I'd go as far as to call Ebirah, Horror of the Deep one of the most criminally underrated Godzilla films (Son of Godzilla too, but that one didn't appear on MST3K).
Sea Monster has easily survived MST3K. They also weren't even that critical of it (in part probably because that was the era where they didn't treat every movie they watched as an abomination).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:20 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:53 pm
As for revenge as a kid that got bullied when I was younger that film holds a special place in me heart. Also when Godzilla finally gets involved with the Gabara fight is awesome.
While it's brief, Godzilla kicking Gabara's ass and throwing him over the shoulder is an under appreciated moment in the franchises history.
Honestly, Godzilla just throwing Gabara over his shoulder so easily is one of the most iconic Showa moments in my opinion. Especially from the post-DAM era
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MogeGoji1994 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:37 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:20 pm While it's brief, Godzilla kicking Gabara's ass and throwing him over the shoulder is an under appreciated moment in the franchises history.
Honestly, Godzilla just throwing Gabara over his shoulder so easily is one of the most iconic Showa moments in my opinion. Especially from the post-DAM era
I'd have to agree with that. And I don't even like the damn movie. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah, that final battle in Revenge is so much fun. Nothing like teaching a jobber a lesson.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I love how pained Gabara's roar sounds when Godzilla stomps on his chest.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

When someone messes with his kid, he puts his foot down.....on them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Does anyone wish Godzilla kept his ears and fourth toes throughout the Showa films? It just seems like a weird design change, and is all the more conspicuous since nearly every Godzilla incarnation since then has gone back to the original features.
Friends don't lie.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

-Godzilla's Revenge is a genuinely fun movie to watch, and better than the majority of Showa movies.
-Heisei is the best Era.
-The MonsterVerse is a part of Reiwa.
-1998 is Millennium.
-1998 is not just a bad Godzilla. It's a completely insufferable movie.
-Invasion of Astro Monster, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs Megalon, and Terror of MechaGodzilla are all very boring movies.
-Monsterverse MechaGodzilla is one of the best, if not the best, MechaGodzilla incarnations.
-The Anime Trilogy was a mistake.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

How is the 1998 movie part of the Millennium series?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Also the Monsterverse can't possibly be part of the Reiwa Series since they're, y'know, two different film series running concurrently. :P And the whole concept of a "Reiwa Series" to date just annoys me, because Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy are just so fundamentally different. It doesn't even make sense in the way the Millennium Series did, because at least those films largely shared the same creative forces, even if they didn't link up narratively.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Godzilla's Revenge is a genuinely fun movie to watch, and better than the majority of Showa movies.
Hey, I kinda agr- Too far.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Heisei is the best Era.
I can get behind someone saying this, even though I disagree.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -The MonsterVerse is a part of Reiwa.
I don’t know what to say. I have no feelings either way.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -1998 is Millennium.
View above
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -1998 is not just a bad Godzilla. It's a completely insufferable movie.
Hey, I kinda very much agree with this!
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Invasion of Astro Monster, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs Megalon, and Terror of MechaGodzilla are all very boring movies.
IoAM? Sure. DAM, I agree. Megalon? Sure. ToMG? That is too far, too far.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Monsterverse MechaGodzilla is one of the best, if not the best, MechaGodzilla incarnations.
Gonna disagree. I actually think it’s one of the worst. This post was made by the Showa gang.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm
-The Anime Trilogy was a mistake.
You bet your bottom dollar it was!
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Lol some of that I agree with. But some of it I disagree with so vehemently it sort of negates the stuff I agree with.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

98 Godzilla isn't completely insufferable. If you view it as an inferior remake of Bf20,000F, then it's not all bad.

And IotAM is not boring. It's more sci fi movie that kaiju flick, but I've never found it boring. Same goes for ToMG and G vs Megalon.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

On the sort of topic of Godzilla 98, but GTS is an entertaining series yet I think Cameron Winter might be the worst antagonist in a Godzilla medium. They try to set him up as this Xanatos-like one step ahead mastermind, yet his motivation is a one note as a Mothra villain and is not nearly as charismatic as the series thinks he is. Just never understood why this guy was the most consistent reoccurring antagonist in the show.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Godzilla's Revenge is a genuinely fun movie to watch, and better than the majority of Showa movies.
Fun, yes; better than the majority of Showa films, not sure about that.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Heisei is the best Era.
Not really. I dunno if I personally have a favorite era of Godzilla films. They all have pros and cons IMHO.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -The MonsterVerse is a part of Reiwa.
Like Terasawa said, Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy have so little in common that its hard to consider them part of the same era. But the Monsterverse and the Reiwa era projects are being made at the same time, so in that sense they are part of the same "era" of the Godzilla franchise's history chronologically speaking.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -1998 is Millennium.
I actually understand where you're coming from. Especially in hindsight, G98 can be seen as "entry 0" in the Millennium films, since the former's disappointing reception hurried along the launch of the latter. Plus, GMK and Final Wars both reference it.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -1998 is not just a bad Godzilla. It's a completely insufferable movie.
I disagree. I got some campy enjoyment out of it. I just wish it was shorter.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Invasion of Astro Monster, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs Megalon, and Terror of MechaGodzilla are all very boring movies.
Again, I see where you're coming from. I found DAM dull back when I was a youngun, and G vs. Megalon doesn't really get interesting until its final act.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -Monsterverse MechaGodzilla is one of the best, if not the best, MechaGodzilla incarnations.
Narratively wise, MV MechaG was interesting. But I didn't care for its design. To me, Kiryu is still the GOAT of MechaG designs.
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm -The Anime Trilogy was a mistake.
I think I'm neutral towards the Anime Trilogy at the end of the day. Some interesting concepts there, but lackluster execution.
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Friends don't lie.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

John Pannozzi wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:03 pm Does anyone wish Godzilla kept his ears and fourth toes throughout the Showa films? It just seems like a weird design change, and is all the more conspicuous since nearly every Godzilla incarnation since then has gone back to the original features.
I wish he kept the 1955 design in general, throughout the entire Showa Era. I love that design to death.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:13 pm
John Pannozzi wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:03 pm Does anyone wish Godzilla kept his ears and fourth toes throughout the Showa films? It just seems like a weird design change, and is all the more conspicuous since nearly every Godzilla incarnation since then has gone back to the original features.
I wish he kept the 1955 design in general, throughout the entire Showa Era. I love that design to death.
I'm sorry, but G55 isn't a good design.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:57 pm
I think you posted that twice… … …
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:06 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:57 pm

I think you posted that twice… … …
Wdym? It shows it once.

If you’re talking about the opinion and not the post itself, I’m just telling you that factually it sucks goji balls :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^I deleted the double post. ;)

As for G55, it looks good in profile - like a leaner, meaner 54. The face head-on is pure derp though.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.