Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not really a confession per se, but nowhere else to put it: The recently revealed theme park Godzilla design is seriously rising to be one of my all-time favorite designs. I love it to bits.

Jermobooka
G-Grasper

Post by Jermobooka »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 pm Not really a confession per se, but nowhere else to put it: The recently revealed theme park Godzilla design is seriously rising to be one of my all-time favorite designs. I love it to bits.
This isn’t even an opinion at this point, just a singular, unanimous agreement Seibu-En Goji is a fantastic design :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri May 14, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

^ I think the proportions are a bit wonky on it (and not in a suitably grotesque Shin sort of way), and the Ghidorah design doesn't appeal to me at all.
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I don’t really understand ranking theme park designs up with official movie versions to begin with. In my eyes, including something like Shin Ghidorah in a design poll even though likely none of us ever got to experience the ride is akin to placing a design from a fan animation on YouTube into a design poll. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm I don’t really understand ranking theme park designs up with official movie versions to begin with. In my eyes, including something like Shin Ghidorah in a design poll even though likely none of us ever got to experience the ride is akin to placing a design from a fan animation on YouTube into a design poll. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
What's not to understand about ranking official designs amongst each other, no matter the medium? It's not at all like your example in any way. The new theme park designs are as officially Godzilla as anything from the movies, TV shows, comic books, etc. Comparing them to fan designs is ridiculous.

Also, ranking designs =/= ranking incarnations. I don't have to have experienced the ride to have an opinion on the physical design of Godzilla from that attractions.

Kiryu2012
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kiryu2012 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 pm Not really a confession per se, but nowhere else to put it: The recently revealed theme park Godzilla design is seriously rising to be one of my all-time favorite designs. I love it to bits.
Big same. I'm getting Showa vibes from it.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy poop man.
My DA

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Post by Chrispy_G »

I know it is unfair to judge older films by modern standards of scrutiny...but I have always been a fan who was a bit obsessive over details in things I loved to watch. Films and shows, I would notice things like characters being re-cast/re-voiced, continuity errors from episode to episode or film to film, contradictory statements/facts/story elements. It drove me nuts when things didn't line up, add up, or make sense.

I know the vast majority of Godzilla films were made in a day and age where those things just didn't matter, or did not matter as much...or were not considered as important as making one entertaining movie at a time.

But gosh watching old kaiju films and Godzilla films really pushes a ton of those little buttons for me. I can kind of get over the 'giant monsters are everywhere thing'...I mean, that's the ticket I bought. Just overall inconsistencies in narrative/continuity from film to film, this sort of nebulous realm of pseudo-continuity the Showa films occupy, where things go from quite serious to quite silly from film to film with no tangible 'in universe' explanation for any of it. Stuff just kinda happens.

There is charm to it..but those are absolutely elements of the series that haven't aged well. From what I understand, a number of the classic Bond films suffer from a lot of the same kind of oddities.

I despise time travel as a plot device as it always feels like a combination of a cheap gimmick, a stunt to solve some kind of crazy plot development, a cheap excuse to do the whole 'characters visiting another time' stunt...that always ends up just over-complicating a number of notions relating to continuity, consistency, and logical execution.

To me the entire time travel plot of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is a vicious black eye on the entire Heisei Continuity...but that film has Mecha King Ghidorah, which is overtly utilized in Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II, which introduces Godzilla Jr which is a staple of the final 3 films of the Heisei series. So the insanity and absurdity of the time travel plot and how inexpertly it is executed infects the entirety of one of the most entertaining stretches of Godzilla films.

Also...the fact that I love Shin Godzilla and the Monsterverse films so damn much really only makes the flaws and shortcomings of the first 50 years of films stand out all the more glaringly.

The first 50 years of films are one big wild jumble of inconsistency. The continuity, tone, style, designs, world, titles of the films, continuity and non-tinuity....it is buck wild and all over the place. For every bit as much fun and charm as that brings to the table, it brings just as many annoying and nit-picky frustrations along with it. Stuff I didn't care about as a youngster, but as I've grown older it annoys me more and more. I got older and became an overall more discerning viewer who looks for a bit more investment and integrity in the fictional stories I engage with...so a lot of those vintage films show their age more and more every year and I find nostalgia often being almost the EXCLUSIVE reason I am revisiting most of them.

It is frustrating, and I don't like the idea of ever being the type of fan that eschews the 'old stuff' because the 'new stuff is just better'...but for things that I find myself looking for in blockbusters/genre films/franchises...I find the older films have less and less of what I want in comparison to a lot of the modern entries.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Sat May 15, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The things you cling to? They are old, and getting older."

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:03 am I know it is unfair to judge older films by modern standards of scrutiny...but I have always been a fan who was a bit obsessive over details in things I loved to watch. Films and shows, I would notice things like characters being re-cast/re-voiced, continuity errors from episode to episode or film to film, contradictory statements/facts/story elements. It drove me nuts when things didn't line up, add up, or make sense.

I know the vast majority of Godzilla films were made in a day and age where those things just didn't matter, or did not matter as much...or were not considered as important as making one entertaining movie at a time.

But gosh watching old kaiju films and Godzilla films really pushes a ton of those little buttons for me. I can kind of get over the 'giant monsters are everywhere thing'...I mean, that's the ticket I bought. Just overall inconsistencies in narrative/continuity from film to film, this sort of nebulous realm of pseudo-continuity the Showa films occupy, where things go from quite serious to quite silly from film to film with no tangible 'in universe' explanation for any of it. Stuff just kinda happens.

There is charm to it..but those are absolutely elements of the series that haven't aged well. From what I understand, a number of the classic Bond films suffer from a lot of the same kind of oddities.

I despise time travel as a plot device as it always feels like a combination of a cheap gimmick, a stunt to solve some kind of crazy plot development, a cheap excuse to do the whole 'characters visiting another time' stunt...that always ends up just over-complicating a number of notions relating to continuity, consistency, and logical execution.

To me the entire time travel plot of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is a vicious black eye on the entire Heisei Continuity...but that film has Mecha King Ghidorah, which is overtly utilized in Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II, which introduces Godzilla Jr which is a staple of the final 3 films of the Heisei series. So the insanity and absurdity of the time travel plot and how inexpertly it is executed infects the entirety of one of the most entertaining stretches of Godzilla films.

Also...the fact that I love Shin Godzilla and the Monsterverse films so damn much really only makes the flaws and shortcomings of the first 50 years of films stand out all the more glaringly.

The first 50 years of films are one big wild jumble of inconsistency. The continuity, tone, style, designs, world, titles of the films, continuity and non-tinuity....it is buck wild and all over the place. For every bit as much fun and charm as that brings to the table, it brings just as many annoying and nit-picky frustrations along with it. Stuff I didn't care about as a youngster, but as I've grown older it annoys me more and more. I got older and became an overall more discerning viewer who looks for a bit more investment and integrity in the fictional stories I engage with...so a lot of those vintage films show their age more and more every year and I find nostalgia often being almost the EXCLUSIVE reason I am revisiting most of them.

It is frustrating, and I don't like the idea of ever being the type of fan that eschews the 'old stuff' because the 'new stuff is just better'...but for things that I find myself looking for in blockbusters/genre films/franchises...I find the older films have less and less of what I want in comparison to a lot of the modern entries.
*reads all of this, stops and rereads that sentence about the Monsterverse films, raises eyebrow confusedly*
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Futurian

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:05 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:03 am I know it is unfair to judge older films by modern standards of scrutiny...but I have always been a fan who was a bit obsessive over details in things I loved to watch. Films and shows, I would notice things like characters being re-cast/re-voiced, continuity errors from episode to episode or film to film, contradictory statements/facts/story elements. It drove me nuts when things didn't line up, add up, or make sense.

*reads all of this, stops and rereads that sentence about the Monsterverse films, raises eyebrow confusedly*
I had a stroke reading that part :lol:
We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day…

Jermobooka
G-Grasper

Post by Jermobooka »

I love the MV and Heisei era equally. They both have strengths that easily make them a lot of people’s favorite eras (I.E me), but there’s also weaknesses which their detractors, understandably, criticize them for

I would say that the MV has a bit more of an inconsistent tone, style, and continuity than the Heisei era. It started off as a “dark, serious, realistic reboot” because that was the cool Hollywood trend at the time. Now the MV has become “big, colorful, bombastic action-fest”...cuz it’s the cool Hollywood trend right now and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Not saying that i don’t absolutely love both tones and approaches to the MV, it’s just that complaining about the Heisei era’s “lack of tonal consistency” and immediately praising the MV afterwards because of it is kind of hypocritical

The Heisei era generally has had the same tone from Biollante onward. Yes, the time travel was weird and kinda shaped the future story in a couple ways that some don’t like, but IMO it was an interesting concept to bring to the “Godzilla franchise” table.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I do not like Gamera vs Barugon. It’s mostly fine, but the third act of the movie slows everything to a damn crawl and makes it unbearably boring. So much of everything after Gamera gets frozen is unnecessary, the main human characters feel like an afterthought throughout the multiple military plans to kill Barugon that go nowhere and just pad time.
Second in Command & Primary Verifier of the KWCE

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:06 pm I do not like Gamera vs Barugon. It’s mostly fine, but the third act of the movie slows everything to a damn crawl and makes it unbearably boring. So much of everything after Gamera gets frozen is unnecessary, the main human characters feel like an afterthought throughout the multiple military plans to kill Barugon that go nowhere and just pad time.
Try watching the original American version, War of the Monsters: it went straight to TV so they had to cut the film to get it under ninety minutes. Most of the cuts are during the third act, and pretty much everything you don't like ended up on the cutting room floor.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

I think G vs Gigan has some of the best city destruction scenes of the Showa period.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:52 pm I think G vs Gigan has some of the best city destruction scenes of the Showa period.
Hell yeah it did. I liked Gigan sawing through a building.

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Post by Chrispy_G »

Terasawa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 pm
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:06 pm I do not like Gamera vs Barugon. It’s mostly fine, but the third act of the movie slows everything to a damn crawl and makes it unbearably boring. So much of everything after Gamera gets frozen is unnecessary, the main human characters feel like an afterthought throughout the multiple military plans to kill Barugon that go nowhere and just pad time.
Try watching the original American version, War of the Monsters: it went straight to TV so they had to cut the film to get it under ninety minutes. Most of the cuts are during the third act, and pretty much everything you don't like ended up on the cutting room floor.
That's the only version of the movie I watch. For me, the Gamera Showa films tend to be best when they are the leanest and meanest possible. Not a knock on them...that sort of style just feels better when it moves along at a faster clip.

I always find myself wishing that something like Super Monster had a "butchered" edit that brought it down to something like 70 minutes. One thing I always did appreciate about All Monsters Attack is that it doesn't overstay its welcome.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The things you cling to? They are old, and getting older."

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:22 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 pm
That's the only version of the movie I watch. For me, the Gamera Showa films tend to be best when they are the leanest and meanest possible. Not a knock on them...that sort of style just feels better when it moves along at a faster clip.
I'm a defender of most of the Showa Gamera films, but I do think many of the films can be significantly edited down without much loss in meaning, and even still maintaining the childlike wonderment (ie, not just cutting out most of the scenes with the kids). For example, in Gamera vs. Guiron there's a lot of repetitive wandering around and boring as sin chase sequences that don't add much, as well as what feels like deliberative filler.

Have their been any fan edits of the Japanese Gamera films before?
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

ROMG4
JXSDF Technician

Post by ROMG4 »

Godzilla King Of The Monsters' (2019) soundtrack and sound-effects fit so much of what I was hoping to see in 2014 but didn't expect would happen, it was brilliant hearing 54, 84 ,and classic Showa roar in theaters ontop of the utterly brilliant sounding soundtrack from Bear Mccreary (The Godzilla march in theaters was just brilliant). However I also am glad that GVK went back to the 2014 style roar and aesthetic for Godzilla.

Gareth and his team spent a massive amount of time on producing Godzilla's roar and various sounds it was even a major push in the marketing and it shows, 2014 has some of the best monster sound effects let alone sound-effects created for movies in the past few years. its a brilliant sounding roar and a big part of the Monsterverse's DNA. Whether the series continues to use the 2014 or KOTM style direction in sound-effects I am happy either-way because I really like and see the benefits of both

I'd really like to see the original 2014 theme return or be rescored by Bear Mccreary because its really grown on me in the past few years

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Voyager
Futurian

Post by Voyager »

ROMG4 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:38 am it was brilliant hearing 54, 84 ,and classic Showa roar
Was there really an 84 roar in there? I don’t remember there being one...
We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day…

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

While it's an overall a more objectively worse movie to its predecessor, I prefer King Kong 76 to King Kong 33. What it does that is good just vibes with me more then what I like about 33.

They could talk to each other?

To a degree we never imagined......

DirektorSplennic
Gotengo Officer

Post by DirektorSplennic »

The Heisei Era Godzilla movies (especially the later ones) have ridiculously flat cinematography compared to what I've seen of the Heisei Gamera trilogy, and it makes me wish Kaneko did more Godzilla movies. The later Heisei movies were one of the things that introduced me to Godzilla and I love them to death but seeing what was done with Gamera around the same time really makes me want more Kaneko Godzilla.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Imagine being such a piece of poop you think someone should slowly suffer and die because they're making it harder for you to buy children's dinosaur toys.
My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/e.sculpts/