What Godzilla movies do you actually like?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: What Godzilla movies do you actually like?

Post by JVM »

All and none, simply put.

I like the overall universe more than I really like any of the actual films at this point.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

I dont have alot, but I love Terror of Mechagodzilla and Final Wars.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I like them all in some way (s) but my Top 10 favorites in order are (Godzilla 2014 & Godzilla 2000 are tied for my first place)...

1. Godzilla 2014 (Favorite overall Godzilla design, Godzilla himself felt like much more of a "character" than ever before, him not directly attacking humans and having an actual purpose in his mind made him more interesting, great effects all around, it had a good dark "disaster" type of realistic tone throughout, solid score, whenever Godzilla is on the screen it feels epic, important, and powerful, I only have a few minor complaints relating to Bryan Cranston's role being extremely diminished, the lighting being a little too dark during the final battle, Aaron Taylor Johnson being rather uninteresting but it was made up for by having better acting than most giant monster movies, Serizawa wasn't like the original but I enjoyed him in the movie, the final battle was great as well as the ending)

2. Godzilla 2000 (Favorite Godzilla suit, Regenerator G1 story was really interesting with learning that Godzilla is virtually immortal, likeable characters, good atmosphere near the climax, GREAT score/good score placement, Orga had a good design, final battle is exciting, ending is well done, also the first Godzilla/kaiju film in general I ever seen so some extra attachment to it because of that)

3. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (Good story, characters, one of my favorite Godzilla suits, really enjoyed the backstory with the soldiers and war, the time travel future story is a bit off but I got past it quickly, the Godzilla & King Ghidorah fight is well paced, the Godzilla & Mecha-King Ghidorah fight is very entertaining, overall good special effects, particularly liked the big city Tokyo set)

4. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (Good story, likeable characters, very good Godzilla suit, the scene where Godzilla is right up to the building that Baby Godzilla is in is memorable to me, all battles are good, Rodan while stiff looks pretty good, the climax of the final battle where Godzilla is revived is both beautiful and epic to me)

5. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (Overall I think it could be the most underrated Godzilla movie to me, great Godzilla suit that is only tweaked slightly from G2K which is my favorite suit, Megaguirus looks fairly realistic and his way and method of attacking is pretty unique, I really enjoyed the first man-made black hole and thought it played into the story well and made for some memorable scenes, the fight with Godzilla and the smaller insects on the island is a pretty cool scene, the final battle between Godzilla and Megaguirus is very exciting and almost has an old-school like feel to it, the main female character is decent, the score isn't that great or memorable at all, but good thrilling ending, cool after credits scene)

6. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (One of the better later Godzilla suits, the character of Akane and the actress's performance really made the movie for me, decent development, I really love the stock footage scene with Gaira & Mothra, the battles are okay but could have been better, the absolute zero cannon was a pretty good concept and executed fairly well for the most part, some very good destruction and military battle scenes with Godzilla, good score but not very memorable, Akane's character is better than pretty much any other human character from the series to me, this movie would be higher if I cared more about the human plots of Godzilla films in general, only downside is that Godzilla hardly gets any offense in the fight scenes)

7. Godzilla vs. Biollante (I was actually intrigued by some of the characters and the story as well, gotta love Miki, Godzilla suit looked pretty good, Biollante is the most uniquely designed and executed kaiju in any of the eras, Biollante looked great on film, solid effects in general, enjoyed Godzilla's escape from the volcano, the final battle is incredible...just a bit shorter than expected, enjoyed the concept & execution of the Anti-Nuclear Bacteria, ending was satisfying, "Godzilla and Biollante aren't monsters. It's the unscrupulous scientists who create them that are monsters.")

8. Godzilla Final Wars (Action-packed, likeable characters, both the monster and human scenes I enjoyed, unfitting score but at the same time it made the scenes feel more epic, the lighting in the final battles after Monster X's meteor hits makes it feel very post apocalyptic, battles are too short excluding Keizer battle, the the Godzilla vs. Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah final battle is really underrated, Godzilla suit isn't the best or the worst)

9. Son of Godzilla (The film has the most charm out of any Godzilla movie, I enjoy the final fight with Kumonga and have a soft spot for the brief Godzilla and Kamacuras fight, Minya looks decent, the Godzilla suit isn't bad but the face almost ruins it, no memorable human characters, great and touching ending)

10. Invasion of the Astro Monster (I like the Godzilla suit quite a bit, great effects for it's time, Godzilla's breath looks better than in other Showa films, the score is pretty great and well timed, King Ghidorah looked solid, Rodan looked just as good as he did in any other Showa appearance, the only real drawback of this film is the monster battles/destruction scenes are spread a fair amount of time apart and are pretty brief, the alien invasion story however is very enjoyable and a fun ride, the characters are extremely likable especially Miss Namikawa, the film never really lost my interest)

11. Gojira (Solid score, good Godzilla suit, great tone and atmosphere, the presence of Godzilla in the dark of the night is handled well, the destruction scenes are well done, decent human characters, compelling concepts and ideas, I really like the final underwater scene with Serizawa and Godzilla, the ending is good but feels a little empty)
Last edited by GodzillaDude on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:49 am, edited 43 times in total.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

Godzilla vs Biollante for me. I just can't get enough of that movie.

1.The awesome military battles
2.How Godzilla looks
3.His Opponent
4.How hard the military is fighting him, i mean they are really trying
5.Super X2
6.Psychic
7.G-Cells
8.The human characters
9.And of course the continuity

I can go on & on, but yeah l LOVE THIS MOVIE!!
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I enjoy all of them to some point but the ones i like the most:

1.- Godzilla
2.- Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah
3.- Godzilla Vs Biollante
4.- GMK
5.- Godzilla 2000
6.- Mothra Vs Godzilla
7.- Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla
8.- Invasion Of Astro-Monster
9.- Terror Of MechaGodzilla
10.- Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I don't really hate or despise any of the Godzilla films (not even GINO).

My favorite Godzilla films of the Showa era are King Kong vs. Godzilla, Invasion of the Astro Monster, and Destroy All Monsters.

Of the Heisei series, I like Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

An out of the Millennium series, GMK, Godzilla x MechaGodzilla, and Tokyo SOS.

VamprisArachne
Monsterland Worker

Post by VamprisArachne »

Well I'd say my Top 10 would be:

10: Godzilla vs. Gigan
9: Godzilla vs. Hedorah
8: Godzilla 2000
7: Return of Godzilla
6: Son of Godzilla
5: Mothra vs. Godzilla
4: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
3: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
2: Gojira
1: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Lawsford
Monarch Researcher

Post by Lawsford »

All of them except Godzilla's Revenge (Yes even the 1998 one)
This millenium hair is simply fabulous

Oooo I could get used to this look

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

I love em all including Final Wars (the 1998 american version doesn't count), but if I was to pick one as my personal favorite aside from the original 1954 masterpiece, I would have to go with Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2, the action, the effects, Godzilla using the Spiral Fire Ray for the 1st time just gives me chills. Now for the ones that I don't think were all that great, I would go with Godzilla's Revenge, & Godzilla vs Megaguirus.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla has recently gone up to #2 on my list after rewatching it. Mainly due to the character of Akane who I thought was a very interesting and somewhat deep character. Her character should have been further explored in Tokyo S.O.S. instead of the smaller brief role she got.

I don't have any Showa films on my Top 5 because I know I will and I have already gotten some heat for this... but I really don't care for the Showa films to much mainly due to the constant campy feel in a lot of the films the only two films I actually think are more than just bad or okay in the Showa era are Gojira and Son of Godzilla everything else I wouldn't really care to much if I didn't see any of them again.
SA

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

You think MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA is campy and bad?!?!? :dizzy:

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Megaguirus and Final Wars had campy aspects in them but it wasn't bluntly obvious and consistent with it throughout them.
SA

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

GodzillaDude wrote:Megaguirus and Final Wars had campy aspects in them but it wasn't bluntly obvious and consistent with it throughout them.
The entire point of Final Wars was as a misguided attempt to legitimatize the cheesy and "bad" aesthetic that the public perceives the entire franchise and genre of having. It doesn't just have "campy aspects", it is entirely trying to be Camp on every level. It absolutely is not the straight-faced military dramatics that mark Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS and Heisei films.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

TokyoVigilante wrote:
GodzillaDude wrote:Megaguirus and Final Wars had campy aspects in them but it wasn't bluntly obvious and consistent with it throughout them.
The entire point of Final Wars was as a misguided attempt to legitimatize the cheesy and "bad" aesthetic that the public perceives the entire franchise and genre of having. It doesn't just have "campy aspects", it is entirely trying to be Camp on every level. It absolutely is not the straight-faced military dramatics that mark Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS and Heisei films.

Okay maybe it had a good amount of campiness, but for some reason they didn't bother me as much as in other films.
SA

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Basically all of FINAL WARS is campy as fuck, you do realize this, right? MEGAGUIRUS was the goofiest Godzilla film since MEGALON.

I don't know any of the Showa Godzilla films that are "consistently campy throughout" other than MEGALON.

The thing I find most funny out of people who "don't care" for the Showa series, is that almost all of them generalize them in ways that simply aren't true.

"They r all so campy guise they just arent dark and serious like the heisei filsms."
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

GodzillaDude wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:

Okay maybe it had a good amount of campiness, but for some reason they didn't bother me as much as in other films.
Final Wars has all of the subtly of a toy commercial. It's loud, garish, and full of juvenile posturing like every element is fighting to be cooler then the other. It's an aggressive and inherently abrasive mess of a film because it never gels with itself. If it wasn't so self aware, it would be a stark perfect definition of Camp style.

Camp is such a horrifically abused word. It's almost worst then "Troll". It's something that no one really seems to have a full grasp on understanding and it's used in such a negative way despite it being a legitimate artistic aesthetic. If anyone enjoyed 300, Moulin Rouge, and even some aspects of the Asgard portions of Thor are very very camp.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Pardon me as I attempt to restrain myself and choke on my own laughter.

Mecha-Streisand
Ronin

Post by Mecha-Streisand »

GodzillaDude wrote:I don't have any Showa films on my Top 5 because I know I will and I have already gotten some heat for this... but I really don't care for the Showa films to much mainly due to the constant campy feel in a lot of the films the only two films I actually think are more than just bad or okay in the Showa era are Gojira and Son of Godzilla everything else I wouldn't really care to much if I didn't see any of them again.
Wait... What? Wow.

I very much question the sanity of anyone who would just write off Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Monster Zero, or Destroy All Monsters (some of the absolute best films of the series) due to some perceived "campiness". Especially when two of the films that they do enjoy are Megaguirus and Final Wars.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Legion1979 wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote: Final Wars has all of the subtly of a toy commercial. It's loud, garish, and full of juvenile posturing like every element is fighting to be cooler then the other.
Which is EXACTLY why it appeals so much to younger fans who cream all over it.
That's part of the fun of it. I can get into it on that level and I can wallow in the films delinquency, but just because I can appreciate the tone its trying to create doesn't change an awareness that the film feels like it was designed and written by a 14 year old desperate to prove that Godzilla is still cool.

I'd like to see an overall development of better film comprehension and more complex opinions about these films from people in general in the fandom. I'd like people to atleast get that just because a film has Gigan in it doesn't mean its "Showa style" or in the "Showa spirit".

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Final Wars I liked, yeah I know everything seemed rushed, most of the fight scenes were short, & they went totally insane with it, but that's what they were trying to do. Since it's the last Godzilla movie of the Millennium series, they pretty much wanted to end the series with a BLAST!!! On top of that I like the side characters, I liked seeing Don Frye as Capt. Gordon, I like the Villain mainly because he was all over the top, & I liked seeing all the action, it was all fighting, you had monsters fighting, you had people fighting, it was all FIGHTING!!! Now, Godzilla vs Megaguirus to me was pretty much boring, that's all I can say.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy