Godzilla: Male or Female?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Breakdown
Keizer

Godzilla: Male or Female?

Post by Breakdown »

So I heard a while back that the first Godzilla at least, Godzilla '54, might have been female according to Hauro Nakajima, who recalls the director saying Godzilla was intended to be female. Then I heard Legion1979 mention this in another thread as well.

So is he male or female?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

RedZillaKing

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Post by RedZillaKing »

Would make sense as Minya would have to come from somewhere. I actually like that explanation, as it's the only one that really makes sense. From 55-64 Goji was bitter about his mate's death, lol.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well, you said it yourself, Gyaos. Nakajima has said (on several occasions) that the original Godzilla was in fact female. I'm not exactly sure what other kind of confirmation you're looking for.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent

Post by FlamingZilla23 »

I personally think he was male. I never heard Hauro Nakajima or the director ever say anything about him being female.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

In the japanese version of Gojira, Godzilla is refered to as male (atleast in the subtitles). Could be a misenterpretation. Thats what confuses me, the film says male but "Godzilla" himself says female.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent

Post by FlamingZilla23 »

Goji wrote:So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?
Why don't people ever understand me? I am talking about two different things again.

But anyways male is my pick.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

As much as I would love to shake Nakajima's hand and give him a hug, he was just a stunt man, especially at that stage of his career as a suit actor for Toho.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

FlamingZilla23 wrote:
Goji wrote:So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?
Why don't people ever understand me? I am talking about two different things again.

But anyways male is my pick.
You tell me broham. Hell if I know.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

In till further notice the only female monsters that I go with are

Biollante,Every Mothra but Leo, Legion and Megegurius.

Doesn't TOHO usually say she if the monster is female and I thought someone called Godzilla 54 and Showa brothers before?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

miguelnuva wrote: Doesn't TOHO usually say she if the monster is female and I thought someone called Godzilla 54 and Showa brothers before?
No and No.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

I dunno, I'm with him. I've never heard of this before, and hearsay isn't really something you sink your teeth into. I think his skepticism is justifiable.

TokyoVigilante wrote:As much as I would love to shake Nakajima's hand and give him a hug, he was just a stunt man, especially at that stage of his career as a suit actor for Toho.
So you're saying he was a no one in the creative process, and thus we have sufficient cause to doubt his memory?
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Frankly, I doubt the quote by Nakajima exists in English unless it was printed in G-Fan. Other than Ed G's book, I've read all of the major English books covering this stuff, and I don't recall it appearing in any of those. It's certainly possible he talked about it at G-Fest 2008, but it being nearly 4 years ago, I can't really remember. August would probably know, but he doesn't post here anymore (and I can't blame him for that).

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Goji wrote:Frankly, I doubt the quote by Nakajima exists in English unless it was printed in G-Fan. Other than Ed G's book, I've read all of the major English books covering this stuff, and I don't recall it appearing in any of those. It's certainly possible he talked about it at G-Fest 2008, but it being nearly 4 years ago, I can't really remember. August would probably know, but he doesn't post here anymore (and I can't blame him for that).
Then you'll have to excuse my skepticism, but the old "X said so" is one of the oldest tools in the fan rumor book.
Not that Godzilla being male or female changes Gojira in any real way. At least not in the '54 movie at least.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Crocodile wrote:So you're saying he was a no one in the creative process, and thus we have sufficient cause to doubt his memory?
Moreorless. Tsuburaya routinely went to Nakajima for creative input and his influence throughout the sixties on the genre is apparent enough, but this wasn't just another japanese monster movie being made, this was the first one; Nakajima was brought on as a stuntman first and foremost, not a suit actor.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:
Crocodile wrote:So you're saying he was a no one in the creative process, and thus we have sufficient cause to doubt his memory?
Moreorless. Tsuburaya routinely went to Nakajima for creative input and his influence throughout the sixties on the genre is apparent enough, but this wasn't just another japanese monster movie being made, this was the first one; Nakajima was brought on as a stuntman first and foremost, not a suit actor.
Fact Check: Third one. We have those two Kong films in the 30s.
There were two Kong films? Learn something new everyday.

But I'll clarify, Gojira was the first entirely original Kaiju production in Japan. The King Kong films are of questionable pedigree in terms of them just being Asylum-style quick cash-in rip offs.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Godzilla could just be asexual like the frogs they talk about in Jurassic Park, but we will never know.

GodGan
Samurai

Post by GodGan »

he is a male gmk godzilla is referred to being a male so he is a he
Hai

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

GodGan wrote:he is a male gmk godzilla is referred to being a male so he is a he
Eh doesn't work that way, people generically refer to things as he, without any real knowledge.

Like you may refer to a stray dog as he, when it's really a she, and you just have no way of knowing better.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

I never thought of that before, so now it would makes sense that Minya was born.