Godzilla: Male or Female?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Godzilla: Male or Female?

Postby Breakdown » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:10 pm

So I heard a while back that the first Godzilla at least, Godzilla '54, might have been female according to Hauro Nakajima, who recalls the director saying Godzilla was intended to be female. Then I heard Legion1979 mention this in another thread as well.

So is he male or female?
Vatarian wrote:When the movie comes out on DVD,I'm going to frame a screenshot of his death-grimace and mount it on my wall next to the vial of tears I collected from a thousand angry Broni Friendzonis ranting about how Prime's an amoral psychopath and Bay violated their childhood like some sort of ancient Babylonian sex-demon.


Twinkle twinkle little star; how I wonder what you are...

Breakdown
Enhanced Slasher

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 4497
Team: Stunticons
Favourite Kaiju: Baragon, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Godzilla, King Seesar
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: The Nemesis

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Gawdziller » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 pm

I think (s)he's a tranny.

Godzilla's always as smooth as a Ken doll, so there's no way to know for sure. However the thought of sexual relations of such beasts never ceases to scare the hell out of me.
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Gawdziller
Mmmmm...open faced club sandwich...

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 4178
Team: (Gareth) Edward(s)
Favourite Kaiju: Your momma
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:35 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby RedZillaKing » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:10 am

Would make sense as Minya would have to come from somewhere. I actually like that explanation, as it's the only one that really makes sense. From 55-64 Goji was bitter about his mate's death, lol.
KaijuAlertSystem wrote:So essentially what we learned from the interview is that Tamashii doesn't really give a shit about what their Western fans want to see unless it matches a similar scale of Japanese demand. It doesn't matter that its the US collectors who essentially keep the toyline alive and profitable, because "we make glorious Japan toy for Japanese who don't care" is the modus operandi of Tamashii. I wish I could say I was surprised.

RedZillaKing
Keizer

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 7126
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:26 am
Location: Mogeru Pokkiri, Bitches!

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Goji » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:30 am

Well, you said it yourself, Gyaos. Nakajima has said (on several occasions) that the original Godzilla was in fact female. I'm not exactly sure what other kind of confirmation you're looking for.
User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
 
Posts: 5534
Favourite Kaiju: Hedorah
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: Termina

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Gawdziller » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:54 am

RedZillaKing wrote:Would make sense as Minya would have to come from somewhere. I actually like that explanation, as it's the only one that really makes sense. From 55-64 Goji was bitter about his mate's death, lol.



Sad thing is, she would have lost the egg in the divorce anyway.
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Gawdziller
Mmmmm...open faced club sandwich...

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 4178
Team: (Gareth) Edward(s)
Favourite Kaiju: Your momma
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:35 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby FlamingZilla23 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 am

I personally think he was male. I never heard Hauro Nakajima or the director ever say anything about him being female.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011
User avatar
FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Goji » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:25 am

So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?
User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
 
Posts: 5534
Favourite Kaiju: Hedorah
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: Termina

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 am

Goji wrote:Well, you said it yourself, Gyaos. Nakajima has said (on several occasions) that the original Godzilla was in fact female. I'm not exactly sure what other kind of confirmation you're looking for.


This. I've always personally accepted Nakajima's word. In real life (you know, where it wouldn't immediately instigate a message board debate :lol:), I've called G'54 and Kiryu "she" right along.

Although...I've also heard it said that Nakajima simply stated that "one of" the Showa Godzillas was female, implying it could just as easily have been G'55. That makes less sense to me, since that is the version most frequently referred to as a male. Still, does anyone have access to the original quotes? Or know where they can be found?
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS


LYMPHOMANIAC
User avatar
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 7:28 am
Location: Utica, NY

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Breakdown » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 am

In the japanese version of Gojira, Godzilla is refered to as male (atleast in the subtitles). Could be a misenterpretation. Thats what confuses me, the film says male but "Godzilla" himself says female.
Vatarian wrote:When the movie comes out on DVD,I'm going to frame a screenshot of his death-grimace and mount it on my wall next to the vial of tears I collected from a thousand angry Broni Friendzonis ranting about how Prime's an amoral psychopath and Bay violated their childhood like some sort of ancient Babylonian sex-demon.


Twinkle twinkle little star; how I wonder what you are...

Breakdown
Enhanced Slasher

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 4497
Team: Stunticons
Favourite Kaiju: Baragon, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Godzilla, King Seesar
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: The Nemesis

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 am

Eh, we've gone through that discussion in other threads, too. The characters have no real way of knowing the monster's sex (either '54 or '55), and people tend to say "he" by default when referring to big, imposing beasts. As far as I'm concerned, the only people who can really answer these questions are the ones who wrote the stories (yes, I'm totally disregarding any discussion of the "official corporate stance", because the ones making those proclamations are rarely the ones who created the character).

Failing a definitive statement by story developers or screenwriters, Nakajima is the next best source. He was on set at the time, he interacted with the actual "Fathers" of Godzilla, and so he has a close connection to the question.

Again, that's assuming that he actually said what we think he did. Now I'm really curious about the source of the quote, because I can't recall ever seeing a direct citation to it.
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS


LYMPHOMANIAC
User avatar
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 7:28 am
Location: Utica, NY

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby FlamingZilla23 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Goji wrote:So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?

Why don't people ever understand me? I am talking about two different things again.

But anyways male is my pick.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011
User avatar
FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby TokyoVigilante » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 pm

As much as I would love to shake Nakajima's hand and give him a hug, he was just a stunt man, especially at that stage of his career as a suit actor for Toho.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
User avatar
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: Swashing Buckles

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Goji » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 pm

FlamingZilla23 wrote:
Goji wrote:So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?

Why don't people ever understand me? I am talking about two different things again.

But anyways male is my pick.


You tell me broham. Hell if I know.
User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
 
Posts: 5534
Favourite Kaiju: Hedorah
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: Termina

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:32 pm

In till further notice the only female monsters that I go with are

Biollante,Every Mothra but Leo, Legion and Megegurius.

Doesn't TOHO usually say she if the monster is female and I thought someone called Godzilla 54 and Showa brothers before?
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

miguelnuva
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 5871
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Goji » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:37 pm

miguelnuva wrote: Doesn't TOHO usually say she if the monster is female and I thought someone called Godzilla 54 and Showa brothers before?


No and No.
User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
 
Posts: 5534
Favourite Kaiju: Hedorah
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: Termina

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Crocodile » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Goji wrote:So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?


I dunno, I'm with him. I've never heard of this before, and hearsay isn't really something you sink your teeth into. I think his skepticism is justifiable.


TokyoVigilante wrote:As much as I would love to shake Nakajima's hand and give him a hug, he was just a stunt man, especially at that stage of his career as a suit actor for Toho.


So you're saying he was a no one in the creative process, and thus we have sufficient cause to doubt his memory?
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies
User avatar
Crocodile
G-Force Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2266
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 pm
Location: The Sadida Kingdom

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Goji » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:36 am

Frankly, I doubt the quote by Nakajima exists in English unless it was printed in G-Fan. Other than Ed G's book, I've read all of the major English books covering this stuff, and I don't recall it appearing in any of those. It's certainly possible he talked about it at G-Fest 2008, but it being nearly 4 years ago, I can't really remember. August would probably know, but he doesn't post here anymore (and I can't blame him for that).
User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
 
Posts: 5534
Favourite Kaiju: Hedorah
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: Termina

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby Crocodile » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am

Goji wrote:Frankly, I doubt the quote by Nakajima exists in English unless it was printed in G-Fan. Other than Ed G's book, I've read all of the major English books covering this stuff, and I don't recall it appearing in any of those. It's certainly possible he talked about it at G-Fest 2008, but it being nearly 4 years ago, I can't really remember. August would probably know, but he doesn't post here anymore (and I can't blame him for that).


Then you'll have to excuse my skepticism, but the old "X said so" is one of the oldest tools in the fan rumor book.
Not that Godzilla being male or female changes Gojira in any real way. At least not in the '54 movie at least.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies
User avatar
Crocodile
G-Force Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2266
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 pm
Location: The Sadida Kingdom

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby TokyoVigilante » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Crocodile wrote:So you're saying he was a no one in the creative process, and thus we have sufficient cause to doubt his memory?

Moreorless. Tsuburaya routinely went to Nakajima for creative input and his influence throughout the sixties on the genre is apparent enough, but this wasn't just another japanese monster movie being made, this was the first one; Nakajima was brought on as a stuntman first and foremost, not a suit actor.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
User avatar
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: Swashing Buckles

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Postby SuperSaiyan4Godzilla » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:23 pm

TokyoVigilante wrote:
Crocodile wrote:So you're saying he was a no one in the creative process, and thus we have sufficient cause to doubt his memory?

Moreorless. Tsuburaya routinely went to Nakajima for creative input and his influence throughout the sixties on the genre is apparent enough, but this wasn't just another japanese monster movie being made, this was the first one; Nakajima was brought on as a stuntman first and foremost, not a suit actor.


Fact Check: Third one. We have those two Kong films in the 30s.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises,
Nothing shall forestall my return.

Like Toho Kingdom on Facebook!

Join the Facebook Toho Kingdom group!
User avatar
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla
Super Saurian
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Radiant Garden

Next

Return to Showa Series (30's-70's)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users