General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Have the scalpers calmed tf down? Am i able to get this for an actual affordable price now?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ In a few weeks the standard editions (split into 2 sets: Showa and Heisei) will be released, along with a steel book release of just the '90s trilogy.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

It's not the same without the art. *le sigh*
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:29 pm It's not the same without the art. *le sigh*
Or the essays.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Damn scalpers ruin everything.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

What did the scalpers ruin?

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
Angilasman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:13 pm ^ In a few weeks the standard editions (split into 2 sets: Showa and Heisei) will be released, along with a steel book release of just the '90s trilogy.
...isn't the 90's trilogy the whole Heisei set? Or does it include Gamera the Brave too? Because I need that one...
Last edited by Vakanai on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 pm What did the scalpers ruin?
They bought up many copies of the Limited Edition set, and have asked ridiculous prices, depriving many fans of access to said set.
Angilasman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:13 pm ^ In a few weeks the standard editions (split into 2 sets: Showa and Heisei) will be released, along with a steel book release of just the '90s trilogy.
...isn't the 90's trilogy the whole Heisei set? Or does it include Gamera the Brave too? Because I need that one...
It includes Brave as well.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Too bad the Arrow set doesn't have the definitive piece on how to pronounce "Iris."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 pm What did the scalpers ruin?
They bought up many copies of the Limited Edition set, and have asked ridiculous prices, depriving many fans of access to said set.
It includes Brave as well.
Ah yeah, heard about that back in...October maybe? Forgot. But yeah, that's just freaking slimy. Should be illegal (I mean, limited editions are pricey enough, but messing with fans like that, just, I want to say some very rude words that can't be said here).

And I'll have to grab the Heisei set for sure then, I think the Brave is the only one I don't have in some form (looked for it a few years back, someone on Amazon wanted $300 for it). It available for pre-order anywhere yet?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Chappie
Young Farmer

Post by Chappie »

Nice. The Heisei Gamera movies are all masterpieces and I am definitely going to get both sets, but the Heisei first of course.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

The new sets look nice. Is there anything else different than the main set that came out? I'm usually not a double dipper but I was curious
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 pm Damn scalpers ruin everything.
Burn them all I say.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:11 pm The new sets look nice. Is there anything else different than the main set that came out? I'm usually not a double dipper but I was curious
Well, there's less extra content this time around, so that's different.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:11 pm The new sets look nice. Is there anything else different than the main set that came out? I'm usually not a double dipper but I was curious
Nothing different enough to double dip if you have the limited set.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:26 pm
Which makes me hate the scalpers even more then. I get less cool shit.

Well, I bought the new Heisei era set. Hoping the trilogy looks better than the old blu-ray set I have from years back, looking forward to having the Brave, and hope the bonus features are great (even if there's less than from the limited set?). If the showa set isn't sold out by May it might be my birthday gift to myself...

(also bought Ultraman Taro while I was at it)

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:56 pm Well, I bought the new Heisei era set. Hoping the trilogy looks better than the old blu-ray set I have from years back, looking forward to having the Brave, and hope the bonus features are great (even if there's less than from the limited set?).
All of the discs in Arrow's Showa & Heisei sets are the exact same discs from the limited-edition complete collection. The discs have all of the same bonus features, which includes new content produced by Arrow, several Japanese-produced extras, and everything from previous Gamera releases by ADV, Media Blasters, Shout! Factory and Mill Creek. Every movie has an audio commentary. Every existing English dub is included along with the US cuts of the first two flicks.

The only differences between the limited-edition set and the two standard-edition sets are the physical extras and the packaging. The separate Showa & Heisei sets have each disc in its own plastic case housed in a cardboard box. The cases have reversible slipcovers, with Matt Frank's art on one side and original Japanese poster imagery on the other side. The complete collection houses all of the discs in a big book, which comes with postcards for all of the movies featuring Matt Frank's art, along with a big folded-up map of Japan listing locations from the Gamera films. That book is housed in a big cardboard box with two extra books. One of those extra books includes reprints of Dark Horse's entire Gamera comic book miniseries from the '90s, along with Matt Frank's Heisei prequel comic The Last Hope.

The other extra book includes kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, full-page poster art for every Gamera movie, along with several articles. Three of the articles were originally published in issues of Fangoria magazine back in the ‘90s, and archived PDF scans of those magazines are available online for easy reading and printing.

Here's an archive of Fangoria #173 (June 1998) with the Shusuke Kaneko profile by Norman England. Given when that issue was published, it also includes an article by Anthony C. Ferrante interviewing Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich, along with another article by England profiling Haruo Nakajima and Kenpachiro Satsuma, as well as an article by Will Murray covering Godzilla comic books.

Here's an archive of Fangoria #185 (August 1999) with England's Gamera 3 set report.

Here's an archive of Fangoria #191 (April 2000) with England's profile of Shinji Higuchi. That issue also includes his Godzilla 2000 set report.

In addition to those articles, the extra book in Arrow’s limited-edition Gamera set includes a reprint of David Milner's July 1996 interview with Noriaki Yuasa. Milner’s personal website is still online, and here's a direct link to his interview with Yuasa. He has a lot of other worthwhile interviews chronicled on his site, all translated by Yoshihiko Shibata.

The only articles in Arrow's limited-edition Gamera book that weren’t previously published are A History of Gamera by Patrick Macias and A Guide to English-Language Gamera by James Flower. Fortunately some bozo posted photographs of those pages to a folder on Imgur.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:26 pm
Thanks. Glad I can save myself some money
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My copy of the Arrow Heisei set just got here from Amazon. The cover art is beautiful. Nice as it would've been to get the limited edition set, I'm very happy to be able to display this one with the rest of my Blu-ray collection.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm working on Attack of Legion right now. My second viewing; the first was via the Legacy Collection DVD in about 2013. As Dr. Grant once eloquently put it: "Oh my God, I'd forgotten."

It's absolutely staggering how much more competent and professional it feels compared to what Toho was doing at the time. Just wow. I just got done with Gamera's initial attack on the Legion Flower, and basically everything about that scene was kaiju gold. So many cool moments. Jaw-dropping practical effects and very adequate CGI. I could sit here and ramble a lot about everything I've liked so far, but I really need to go keep watching. $73 very well-spent. This trilogy deserved a proper Blu-ray treatment.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio