General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:48 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:23 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:09 pm I just thought of this. How is Viras pronounced? Virus? Vee-rah-s? Vee-rus? Vi-rahs? I don't mkow.
I believe it's "Vi-rhas". At least that's how I've heard it on the film.
Are you talking about what's in the dub?
I think so, yes. Also, I think the original Japanese soundtrack sounded similar. I know it's "Bairasu" in Japanese, though.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:52 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:48 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:23 pm I believe it's "Vi-rhas". At least that's how I've heard it on the film.
Are you talking about what's in the dub?
I think so, yes. Also, I think the original Japanese soundtrack sounded similar. I know it's "Bairasu" in Japanese, though.
Yeah, I just checked the Japanese trailer, and there it definitely sounded like more of a long "i" sound (as in "hi").
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In the English dub of GSM, it's pronounced Vir-As.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Now I've got a question of my own. How is Iris pronounced, Eye-ris or Ear-is?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:52 pm Now I've got a question of my own. How is Iris pronounced, Eye-ris or Ear-is?
Eye-ris

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:52 pm Now I've got a question of my own. How is Iris pronounced, Eye-ris or Ear-is?
Ear-is (the katanana roughly transliterate as "Ii-ri-su").
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:57 pm
Eye-ris
They say Eye-ris in the dub.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Eye-ris
The dub, in this case, does not match the Japanese pronunciation.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Okay, I thought it was Ear-is. Thanks!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Well, we don't call Legion "Reggy-on" in English. It's a word we already have that they pronounce differently in Japanese.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:59 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:50 pm

Eye-ris
The dub, in this case, does not match the Japanese pronunciation.
The Japanese pronunciation is just that the Japanese pronunciation. When something is brought over to American that becomes the correct way to say it in English. We don't call Godzilla Gojira over here for example.

Eye-ris may not match the Japanese pronunciation but it is how the English dub chose to pronounce the name in English.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm Well, we don't call Legion "Reggy-on" in English. It's a word we already have that they pronounce differently in Japanese.
Well, in the case of Legion, the character's name is explicitly derived from the English word. Iris is being used much more traditionally as a name.

Added in 2 minutes 34 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:47 pm
The Japanese pronunciation is just that the Japanese pronunciation. When something is brought over to American that becomes the correct way to say it in English. We don't call Godzilla Gojira over here for example.

Eye-ris may not match the Japanese pronunciation but it is how the English dub chose to pronounce the name in English.
We don't call Godzilla "Gojira" because Toho selected "Godzilla" as the official English-language transliteration of the name. That's not at all the same as how a dubbing cast/director chose to pronounce a name.

Look, I'm not telling anyone here how they should pronounce the name. Say it however you want. But it seems bizarre to me that you guys would argue that one shouldn't hew to the original pronunciation.

Suppose the question were about a plot element in a movie that had been altered in Americanization (and lets set this hypothetical in an era before most of the Japanese versions had been released here, so that the American cut would be unmistakably the "official" American version). It wouldn't be wrong to cite how things play out in the American edit, but it also wouldn't be wrong to cite how the events played out in the Japanese cut, would it?
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:56 pm
Angilasman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm Well, we don't call Legion "Reggy-on" in English. It's a word we already have that they pronounce differently in Japanese.
Well, in the case of Legion, the character's name is explicitly derived from the English word. Iris is being used much more traditionally as a name.

Added in 2 minutes 34 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:47 pm

We don't call Godzilla "Gojira" because Toho selected "Godzilla" as the official English-language transliteration of the name. That's not at all the same as how a dubbing cast/director chose to pronounce a name.

Look, I'm not telling anyone here how they should pronounce the name. Say it however you want. But it seems bizarre to me that you guys would argue that one shouldn't hew to the original pronunciation.

Suppose the question were about a plot element in a movie that had been altered in Americanization (and lets set this hypothetical in an era before most of the Japanese versions had been released here, so that the American cut would be unmistakably the "official" American version). It wouldn't be wrong to cite how things play out in the American edit, but it also wouldn't be wrong to cite how the events played out in the Japanese cut, would it?
I didn't say you telling us how they pronounce it in America was wrong either, I just said Eye-ris is how is was presented and until another official DUB is produced or Kadokawa does some sore of press release I personally wouldn't mention Ear-is as the Japanese pronunciation was never mentioned in the English naming pronunciation.

As for American cut vs Japanese cut it depends on what you are talking about. If I was talking about Kotm 56 for example would would be the reason to mention Gojira. It depends on the subject matter and what is being discussed.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:14 pmAs for American cut vs Japanese cut it depends on what you are talking about. If I was talking about Kotm 56 for example would would be the reason to mention Gojira. It depends on the subject matter and what is being discussed.
But we're talking about a situation in which the version under discussion hasn't been specified, just as the original question didn't specify whether it was about the original pronunciation or pronunciation in the dub.

Anyway, this conversation is going nowhere. The question has been answered. I'm out of it now.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:14 pmAs for American cut vs Japanese cut it depends on what you are talking about. If I was talking about Kotm 56 for example would would be the reason to mention Gojira. It depends on the subject matter and what is being discussed.
But we're talking about a situation in which the version under discussion hasn't been specified, just as the original question didn't specify whether it was about the original pronunciation or pronunciation in the dub.

Anyway, this conversation is going nowhere. The question has been answered. I'm out of it now.
It was asked how is Iris pronounced not Irisu. All I'm saying is your answer will correct should have read like this

The Dub uses Eye-ris but Ear-is would be more accurate as (the katanana roughly transliterate as "Ii-ri-su"). Yes Ear-is is more accurate but the Dub unfortunately uses Eye-ris is all I'm saying. Someone saying Ear-is without knowing all the background information would be getting wired looks.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:29 pm The Dub uses Eye-ris but Ear-is would be more accurate as (the katanana roughly transliterate as "Ii-ri-su"). Yes Ear-is is more accurate but the Dub unfortunately uses Eye-ris is all I'm saying. Someone saying Ear-is without knowing all the background information would be getting wired looks.
Common guys.

It's obviously pronounced Nose-is. Why is this even a debate?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Eye-ris
I'm not quoting this specifically, but I just wanted to let you know that your signature reminded me of how cool the climax of Gamera 3 is. I think I used to think the climax of the film is just the scene at the train station, but there's a lot of great built up to get there. The scene in your signature to begin with. Gamera 3 has such a great climax, moving from the impersonal in the sky to the unclose death match we see at the end.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I recently re-watched the 2015 short film, man do I wish we saw more of that new monster at the end. Had such a cool nifty power. Are there any fanmade names for it?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:42 am I recently re-watched the 2015 short film, man do I wish we saw more of that new monster at the end. Had such a cool nifty power. Are there any fanmade names for it?
I've seen a lot of people speculate it was Viras. Which if it was, it would have been an awesome update.
Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:38 am
Eye-ris
I'm not quoting this specifically, but I just wanted to let you know that your signature reminded me of how cool the climax of Gamera 3 is. I think I used to think the climax of the film is just the scene at the train station, but there's a lot of great built up to get there. The scene in your signature to begin with. Gamera 3 has such a great climax, moving from the impersonal in the sky to the unclose death match we see at the end.
Now that I look at it, the gif perfectly loops