Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Sweet! Two neat trailers in one day!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I knew it was still alive, nah to the naysayers!! I can't wait!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I just hope that I can watch this and understand everything despite my refusal to watch Uprising.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote:I just hope that I can watch this and understand everything despite my refusal to watch Uprising.
The synopsis implies that it takes place between Rim and Uprising so I think you'll be fine.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Well this looks alright i guess. I'll give it a try.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Hard to go by anything with that intro really. No movement with the characters really.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

That's still happening? Well this week has been full of surprises so far.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

We have an Australia that has become overrun by monsters, the military has been crippled and driven out by overwhelming numbers

Pacific Rim: Black is going to be the most faithful Emu Wars depiction ever made
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

KaijuArmored
Ronin

Post by KaijuArmored »

Why Slattern could easely tank nuclear blast but was damaged by giant metal sword?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

KaijuArmored wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:09 am Why Slattern could easely tank nuclear blast but was damaged by giant metal sword?
Because the nuke damaged him badly (he didn't tank it, he's got whole pieces of skin gone and is barely standing) to make the sword hurt more as well as the fact Pacific Rik kaiju don't have the best durability?

RIP Evan.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

KaijuArmored wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:09 am Why Slattern could easely tank nuclear blast but was damaged by giant metal sword?
Because it was a joke of a nuke that didn't even cause visible damage to fish that were caught in its blast wave. Also PR kaiju are deathly allergic to pointy objects.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

KaijuArmored
Ronin

Post by KaijuArmored »

Inferno Rodan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:51 am
Because it was a joke of a nuke that didn't even cause visible damage to fish that were caught in its blast wave. Also PR kaiju are deathly allergic to pointy objects.
But it was 1.2 Megaton nuke.No material would be able to cut armor that can tank billions tons of pressure
Last edited by KaijuArmored on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KaijuArmored wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 am But it was 1.2 Megaton nuke.No material would be able to cut armor that can tank billions tons of pressure
No (real life) material could support the mass and torque of a 70 meter tall mech either.

The simple answer, thus, would generally be that the sword in question is made out of the same fictional super-metal that the mech is.

At least, if not for the silly "No alloys" line, but that's a nitpick.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuArmored
Ronin

Post by KaijuArmored »

If human sized humanoid would have same level of strength and durability as Kaiju,would it be more effective than Kaiju?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ No. Kaiju have superior weaponry in their fangs, claws, horns, tails, etc.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuArmored
Ronin

Post by KaijuArmored »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:45 am ^ No. Kaiju have superior weaponry in their fangs, claws, horns, tails, etc.
could it beat Kaiju?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KaijuArmored wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:34 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:45 am ^ No. Kaiju have superior weaponry in their fangs, claws, horns, tails, etc.
could it beat Kaiju?
Probably not without using weapons, no. PR kaiju pretty much have to be physically destroyed before they go down, and it would be tough to do that with punches and kicks. About the only thing a giant humanoid could hope to do would be strangle a kaiju or break its neck, and those could be hard to accomplish, depending on the kaiju in question.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I'm surprised the series is actually on go. I don't see this making it past Season 1 tbh. The interest in the movie-verse was murdered by the blandness of PR2 and the concept itself doesn't look as enticing as PR classic.

Looks more "giant me has generic anime" but who knows. Maybe if they keep it spicy we'll see a little revival via this show.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

KaijuArmored
Ronin

Post by KaijuArmored »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:24 am
KaijuArmored wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:34 am
could it beat Kaiju?
Probably not without using weapons, no. PR kaiju pretty much have to be physically destroyed before they go down, and it would be tough to do that with punches and kicks. About the only thing a giant humanoid could hope to do would be strangle a kaiju or break its neck, and those could be hard to accomplish, depending on the kaiju in question.
Not a giant humanoid.Human size and weight humanoid but with Kaiju level physical strength

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Hi!