General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by BlankAccount »

So I'm an idiot, what I thought were missiles that the fighter jets dropped to lose weight when dodging the lasers Iris shot at them? Yeah might have been Drop Tanks, basically external fuel tanks meant to give aircraft extra range by giving them extra fuel to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_tank

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Titanoterror98 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:29 am Has anyone seen this video by Blunova about recommending Mamoru Hosoda for the next Gamera yet?
Personally my pick would be Keita Amemiya.
Resized Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I'm just wondering who would be a good director for a western Gamera reboot.

Marc Webb and Travis Knight come to mind.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Suit actor Akira Ohashi, who played Gamera in G2 and Iris in G3 posing with the chibi Gamera at the DNA of Tokusatsu's showcasing of the Heisei Gamera trilogy.

Resized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

If he's still up for it after the 50th anniversary short Katsuhito Ishii would be a great choice.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:32 pm Suit actor Akira Ohashi, who played Gamera in G2 and Iris in G3 posing with the chibi Gamera at the DNA of Tokusatsu's showcasing of the Heisei Gamera trilogy.

Proving once again that no matter how hardcore the iteration, anything involving Gamera will always be cute. :huge:
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Especially if it's green and fuzzy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

On the Budget of Gamera The Brave

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

So, recently I started to do some research into the production history of Little Braves: Gamera (known internationally as Gamera The Brave).

During my research, one of my immediate questions was what was the budget of the film. Unfortunately, I am struggling to find anything conclusive on the budget. Japanese Wikipedia presented me with an approximate 1.5 billion yen but lacked any citations. The only other source I could find to state the 1.5 billion yen budget was a news article from 2005 discussing cartoon network's acquisition of the Gamera rights. While this would seem to be the most likely figure, I have seen posts on other websites and forums claiming that the film may have actually had a budget of somewhere around 200 million yen or 500 million yen.

Currently, I am under the impression that the 1.5 billion yen is likely the most accurate figure, but I would like to see if anyone else has sources that contest or contradict what I've found.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I just thought of this. How is Viras pronounced? Virus? Vee-rah-s? Vee-rus? Vi-rahs? I don't mkow.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:09 pm I just thought of this. How is Viras pronounced? Virus? Vee-rah-s? Vee-rus? Vi-rahs? I don't mkow.
The katakana spelling transliterates as "Vairasu," so it's very much like the English word "virus."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I find rewatching the Gamera trilogy revitalizing every time I do it: they're a creative high point for the genre, extraordinarily entertaining, satisfying to be watched in a row - they remind me why I like this stuff in the first place.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Angilasman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:18 pm I find rewatching the Gamera trilogy revitalizing every time I do it: they're a creative high point for the genre, extraordinarily entertaining, satisfying to be watched in a row - they remind me why I like this stuff in the first place.
I get what you mean. I re-watched Gamera 2 a few weeks ago and even on my small laptop screen the movie's beauty just shines through. One of those movies where you can feel the ambition and creativity come through flawlessly. It's great.
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Some Gamera for the new year.

Love those shots.
Resized Image

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

HAPPY 55th ANNIVERSARY - Gamera vs Barugon
This the best Showa-Gamera movie of all time as this ranking shows: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30470
This movie has a great soundtrack, impressive monster battles, a really bad ass villain and a beautyful female main character (Kyoko Enami R.I.P.)
Shigeo Tanaka did a great job back in 1966 and had not much budget.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's my favorite of the original Gamera films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Unpopular opinion but the more I watch G3 the more I realize I don't like it as much as GotU and G2. I feel like a lot of hype I had for G3 was because I liked the first two films so much.

Honestly I might consider Destroyah as the best Heisei finale imo.

That G3 design is still my favorite Gamera however.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Despite my issues with Gamera 3, I must admit that Iris is an impressively alien and otherworldly design. More People should draw inspiration from him if they ever want to design aliens.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:09 pm I just thought of this. How is Viras pronounced? Virus? Vee-rah-s? Vee-rus? Vi-rahs? I don't mkow.
I believe it's "Vai-rhas". At least that's how I've heard it on the film.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:23 pm
I believe it's "Vi-rhas". At least that's how I've heard it on the film.
Are you talking about what's in the dub?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.