The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

gvamp wrote:
Don't you mean Ridley Scott MM?
Fffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Holy mother of based, this is the single best Predator design I've seen in a long long time.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2020/07/10/si ... pre-order/
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

PREDATORS writer, Alex Litvak, talks about what was pitched, but damn it all. Wasn't picked up for the sequel for the 2010 PREDATORS flick. Basically picture it, "Die Hard in space ! With Predators !"
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/362 ... nt-happen/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Buy Aliens: Dead Orbit.

And buy it in Hardcover.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

On the subject of inevitable crossovers with the Aliens ,and Predators with the Marvel characters. One that seems to be a natural to me would be the family of one Sergei Kravenoff, a.k.a. Kraven The Hunter, having a history with the intergalactic big game hunters. Which in turn might've motivated either a descendent, or Sergei himself getting into the big game hunting obsession. Maybe even having a Pred helmet, spear, or some other implement of death in Kraven's trophy case. When one, or band of Yautja show up on one of their hunts, Kraven always keeping an eye out, an ear to the ground for any incidents, murders coinciding with the Predator M.O., leaps on the opportunity to bag his fill.
Another match-up I'd like to see is one with a Predator going up against Jack Russel, a.k.a. Werewolf By Night. Either one sets his sights on the lycanthrope. Or else there's a Predator out there that likes to come to Earth ,and hunt lycanthropes exclusively.
Last edited by The One and Only on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

KManX89 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:58 pm Predator 5 with Dan Trachtenburg (10 Cloverfield Lane) is officially a go at 20th Century Studios.

It can't be any worse than The Predator, right?
I really want to be excited for this considering I like ''10 Cloverfield Lane'' but The Predator was SO bad I have yet to finish it and have tried multiple times. It's going to take a really good premise to get me remotely interested in it.

An if the plot says there is some sort of ''Super Predator'' anywhere in the script I am automatically out. It was the weakest part in Predators and I absolutely hated it in The Predator.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KManX89 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:58 pm Predator 5 with Dan Trachtenburg (10 Cloverfield Lane) is officially a go at 20th Century Studios.

Don't jinx it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Wow. So excite. Very hype.

I love the Predator, but every time new media is announced I feel a sense of dread. Oh well. Here we go again.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:15 pm

Don't jinx it.
I mean, I don't wanna jinx it, but I trust Dan Trachtenburg a HELL of a lot more than Shane Black even if he's only directed one movie, 10 Cloverfield Lane was pretty great.

And it'd be pretty hard not to top an autistic superkid with cheap gags made about his ASD thrown in for good measure (real fucking classy) who somehow manages to summon the Thanos of Predators with a weird alien dog... thingy which just happens to be hunted down by a group of mental health patients with military backgrounds (somehow, someway yet again) topped off with weeks of reshoots and them having to cut scenes because of a pedophile unknowingly being cast until literally the last second.

Holy fuck, talk about a perfect shitstorm. :lol:
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Trachtenberg is a solid choice, hopefully it's a pleasant surprise like 10 Cloverfield Lane was.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

There's a time in a place when a franchise desperately needs to end or die.

The Predator is one of those.

Apparently hadn't learned from the last movie. Autism is the next step in evolution!

Also, Disney + Predator = PG-13 at best. That's not going to work.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Good to hear. Hoping this will be something worth it, or at least more competent then The Predator (though I guess at least this won't have a dying studio desperately trying to make a last minute profit breathing down it's neck
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:26 am
Also, Disney + Predator = PG-13 at best. That's not going to work.
What does Disney have to do with any part of this production other then financing it technically.

RIP Evan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

20th Century Studios is gonna be its own separate thing just like Touchstone was. Touchstone produced numerous R rated pictures.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 am 20th Century Studios is gonna be its own separate thing just like Touchstone was. Touchstone produced numerous R rated pictures.
They're making Deadpool 3 R-rated and will probably name 20th Century Studios as the distributor as well. Marvel Studios can still produce (which they apparently are) as long as Disney doesn't have to have their name or castle logo attached to it.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Both franchises have another movie in the works yet are both past their prime. Personally, I think the future for both is dead for a while. Very unfortunate.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Just saw Predators for the first time. It ain't perfect but it's pretty damn good. I like that they didn't have non stop predator action. That showdown with the Yakuza guy was one of my favorite moments in the franchise.
I still can't believe The Predator got made
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:04 pm Just saw Predators for the first time. It ain't perfect but it's pretty damn good. I like that they didn't have non stop predator action. That showdown with the Yakuza guy was one of my favorite moments in the franchise.
I still can't believe The Predator got made
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember it being all that bad.

But yeah, the less said about The Predator, the better.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

For those unawares Lanard has been releasing some really charming Alien AND Predator toys -

Lanard Toys Taking On Predator & New Alien Figures Also On The Way!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I watched Prometheus and Alien: Covenant over the Christmas weekend. My thoughts:

Prometheus (2012) - I revisited this film the other evening; I'd only seen it once when it came out to rent back in 2013.

As a longtime fan of the ALIEN franchise, I always felt that it was a misstep to give the Xenomorphs any sort of origin. Ridley Scott has said in interviews that he was surprised that after four movies, nobody had tackled the question of "Where did the Xenomorphs come from?"

The thing is: none of us were really asking that question. The creatures were scary not just because of their appearance and freakish life cycles, but because they represented the meanest of mean streaks that Mother Nature could develop...albeit in the furthest reaches of space. So, tying their origins into the origins of humanity makes the universe smaller than it was before, and less scarier as a result.

That said, the score is great; the effects are magnificent; there are some great individual scenes; and the monsters--when they appear--are neat. And the movie continues the proud tradition of the ALIEN franchise by featuring a strong female protagonist (Noomi Rapace) without shoving it down our throats that she's an empowered female.

And the film hints at an unused story idea that the Engineers wanted to destroy humanity to get revenge for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, who was an Engineer himself. The fact that the story might've gone that route brings to mind a similar plot point in John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

Alien Covenant (2017) - I watched this last night for the very first time. I had wanted to see this in the theaters, but there was nobody to accompany me. And then the lukewarm reviews started piling in and I just set it aside.
I really wish they had stuck with Ridley Scott's original idea: That Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and David (Michael Fassbinder) would go seek out the Engineers' home and in the process, discover just who created their creators, albeit with a horrific twist. But then the lousy fanboys started complaining about how "we want more Xenomorph" and we got this film, an attempt to please both Ridley Scott and said fanboys. In the end, I don't think anyone was satisfied because the direction the story takes makes it even harder to reconcile with the original ALIEN than the last movie.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we got less Xenomorph simply because I think we've done everything we can with them. I would rather they find other cosmic horrors because in the Alien universe, space is a vast, horrific place with lots of dark corners that remain unexplored for a good reason.

Instead, we get an ambitious bad idea: an adaptation of Richard Wagner's DAS RHEINGOLD, but in sci-fi form. The development of David the Android as the Devil, the supreme menace to God and Man, ends up taking away a lot of the menace of the Xenomorphs themselves and makes the universe even *smaller* than when the Xenomorphs' origins were vaguely tied to the Engineers.

That said, the first half or so, leading up to David's arrival in the film, is both interesting and intense. The Neomorphs were grotesque and freaky creatures and the Medbay sequence was great. The movie also has a fantastic, creepy original score. And, as usual, the lead female (Katherine Waterston of the Fantastic Beasts series) is great, too. I'm glad that Sigourney Weaver was the original protagonist, because the incel a-holes can't complain that this film is pandering to the PC people whenever a new female protagonist springs up.

The movie was a box office disappointment, but they're going ahead with Alien Covenant 2, so here's hoping they make a better movie.