General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
gfan84
Samurai

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by gfan84 »

Thank you MaxRebo320, on a related note, could you find any behind the scenes pictures of the live action scenes from gamera vs barugon? I have seen lots of behind the scenes pictures of the monster scenes, but I cant find any for the drama scenes, not even when I highlight and paste the movie in japanese. Let me know.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'll be watching either the first film or Gamera vs Gyaos tonight.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I need to watch Gamera the Brave from the big set. Maybe tonight after all after dinner.

Francis07
Young Farmer

Post by Francis07 »

I put together a reconstruction of the 1966 US trailer:
https://youtu.be/Cp3TNGGLDzo
Last edited by Francis07 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Does anyone know if this is the model used for that 50th anniversary short? The face and plastron certainly match.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:13 am Does anyone know if this is the model used for that 50th anniversary short? The face and plastron certainly match.
I'm not sure honestly. Since it was pretty much covered head to toe in fire and smoke you couldn't really make out much details. For all i know this is just a fan made model.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I like that design above!
I also really like Matt Frank's design here.
https://scontent.fhio2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5FE71EC4

Love the baby Garasharps and Monga that Gamera takes care of! I like nods to Gamera being friend of ALL children.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

With the theatrical re-release, toys, and other tie-ins it's great to see Kadokawa pushing Gamera again! Even if a revival isn't in the cards yet this is great stuff! Make the Japanese public want the character back and strike when interest is stoked!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Goddammit Kadokawa just give us the new movie we plead for

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:13 am Does anyone know if this is the model used for that 50th anniversary short? The face and plastron certainly match.
Don't think so, the shell looks a lot different -
https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Gamera_(short)/Gallery
https://yearofgamera.tumblr.com/tagged/gamera-2017

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Yeah that's definitely not 2015 Gamera. The design's face was closest to G3 and only had two tusks.
Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:29 am Yeah that's definitely not 2015 Gamera. The design's face was closest to G3 and only had two tusks.
Just looked a little bit and yeo, you're right. There's a picture of his maquette and it doesn't have any smaller tusks.

Added in 1 minute 54 seconds:
Another thing I found is the way 2015 Gamera would fly. Seems that the iconic spinning was scrapped.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Not necessarily, Gamera has had two modes of flight since forever.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Actually is there a full body 2015 Gamera puppet somewhere?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think they only made the maquette for reference and the rest was CG. There are no full body shots of it out there it seems.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

*screaming ball*
https://twitter.com/spankzilla85/status ... 5351930880

Added in 14 minutes 3 seconds:
Just finished The Last Hope. The Garasharps were a big highlight but I just noticed something after a detail hunt: the Gameras are each based on a different suit! There are five Gameras in the page below and two of them are references. The one at the top middle is the G:tB Adult Gamera while the one at the bottom right is the classic Showa era Gamera. The latter can also be seen on the left in the second panel.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Yeah, I always appreciated that detail. Especially Showa Gamera being included. Cool to see him in the G2 and 3 flying mode as well.
Resized Image

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

It kind of sucks that Gamera is still on hiatus but it really warms my heart to see there's still new content coming out in some form or another, even if it is high-quality rereleases and quality fanart from professionals. I rewatched the Kaneko trilogy and The Brave not too long ago and they never fail to make me feel something truly special for the character or the stories around him. Shoot, I almost teared up watching The Brave again when it got to the end!

Sophie and Frank's redesigns for Gyaos and Gamera were loads of fun, too! I love Matt's ideas for making Gamera a baby kaiju foster parent with his lair, and Gyaos into creepy Iris prototypes; Sophie's I love the amount of character and imagination she put into both versions, and especially little Gameko! ^_^

In the meantime, I've decided to press on with my fanfic series idea, just so that I can give me and everyone else some fresh Gamera content.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Welp, guess i'll be reading The Last Hope soon.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Has anyone seen this video by Blunova about recommending Mamoru Hosoda for the next Gamera yet?

(Reminds me of a suggestion I made a couple years back. :lol: )
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)